Hamilton's improvement re: ball-handling & free throws | The Boneyard

Hamilton's improvement re: ball-handling & free throws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First 14 games: 44 assists/44 turnovers (3.1 to/g); 1/1 assist to turnover ratio; 1 game with 0 turnovers
Last 10 games: 32 assists/20 turnovers (2.0 to/g), 1.6/1 assist to turnover ratio; 3 games with 0 turnovers

First 14 games: 16/30 FT (53.3%), 1 game with 100% FT accuracy
Last 10 games: 12/15 FT (80%), 2 games with 100% FT accuracy

One of the hallmarks of KO is how he's been able to get his players to improve over the course of their career (think Niels' shooting) and over the course of the season (Deandre's toughness around the rim).

It's easy to see DHam's talent. Just as encouraging is how much progress he's made over the last month at addressing the two big issues - FT% and TOs - that plagued him from Day 1 in a UConn uniform.

I'd still like to see him get to the line a lot more, something on the order of 4-5 times per game. He was very, very aggressive last night - maybe the only bright spot for us - and I hope to see more of that going forward.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
he passes up so many shots and opportunities to get to the rim

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
the kid is going to be a gamer/stud- regardless what some idiots on this BY claim to the contrary

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
DHam has been one of the most impressive freshman I have seen in years. From day 1, anyone who knows basketball could see that this kid is a natural and without a doubt an elite pro-prospect. He has incredible out of position skills as well as a good shooting stroke. His main problem for our team right now is his fear of shooting (especially from the 3, despite his decent shot and % - ends up pump faking and trying to step around his defender 9/10 when he catches the ball at the perimeter) as well as his tendency to avoid contact as well as him being a weak finisher at the rim.

That being said, DHam is not even CLOSE to being a reason for this teams struggles. Anyone who tries to put this teams losses on Hamilton is a s***-for-brains.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see him take 15 shots a game.

Me too. My biggest disappointment this year is that we haven't structured the offense to force DHam to touch/shoot the ball more than he has.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
He's doing better, of course. Although I would contribute Niels's improved shooting to the German National Team and countless hours in the gym.

Reaction Score
He needs to tighten up his handle, get a quicker first step and look to drive towards the rim instead of spinning at the foul line every time. With his talent these are easy fixes.

Reaction Score
He needs to tighten up his handle, get a quicker first step and look to drive towards the rim instead of spinning at the foul line every time. With his talent these are easy fixes.
His handle has improved vastly since the first game. He was sporting a nice crossover dribble in the games ECU being one. He just needs more confidence with his shooting around the rim. He seems to leave so many of those shots flat. This guy is going to be huge for us the rest of the year and next.

Reaction Score
I just want to know why he passes up open shots. I really think if he takes them he will make them and open up the defense. Quite often he will get the pass when open, do a head fake, then allow the defender to converge then drive/spin (higher degree of difficulty) or pass (the lob does produce results).

I just feel he should take more shots especially the first chance he gets. He's our second best option so why defer? We have yet to see him get on a roll, its coming but damn shoot the ball!

Reaction Score
He is going to be great. No doubt. But everyone that sees lots of minutes is responsible. That doesn't mean we need to blame anyone. Sometimes it takes some time for a team to gel and for the young players to find their game.

Sad that it probably won't happen in time for Boat to benefit from it.

Reaction Score
Hes 6'7 and probably has the 2nd best handle on the team, its not great but his handle better that Niels and DD their last year. I think his main issue he needs to work on is not handle or turnovers but being able to hit that little jumper he takes 5 times agame. He hits the front of the rim almost everytime but he can get that shot whenever he wants he just cant seem to finish it.

Reaction Score
He's doing better, of course. Although I would contribute Niels's improved shooting to the German National Team and countless hours in the gym.
No doubt. I was begging for Ollie to play Neils more from day 1.

Fact is, Ollie stuck with Calhoun way too long, and it was only when Giffey was inserted as a starter that the team reached its potential.

Giffey is a classic case study of a hardworking team player who worked hard on his game and improved steadily for the 4 years he was here.

Reaction Score
I'd argue he's already made great strides in these areas. The scouting report is clearing still to double team him at the free throw line but he is now kicking out (no coincidence we've seen a huge increase in open 3s for Boat the last several games) or adjusting his dribble lower and throwing in a stutter step. I do agree that he is not perfect there yet and can get even better, FartMan69.

Reaction Score
Hes 6'7 and probably has the 2nd best handle on the team, its not great but his handle better that Niels and DD their last year. I think his main issue he needs to work on is not handle or turnovers but being able to hit that little jumper he takes 5 times agame. He hits the front of the rim almost everytime but he can get that shot whenever he wants he just cant seem to finish it.
I think the big issue is he goes up not knowing if it's a shot or a lob to Brimah and uses the same release for both. Doesn't help that Brimah also cant tell. Quite a few times we've seen him throw a lob that clangs off the backboard or sails out of bounds while AB gets in rebound position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom