Hamiltons Defense | The Boneyard

Hamiltons Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hamilton looks lost on defense on about 80% of possessions. You have to focus on just him to see it. He is consistently losing his man giving him an open look or letting the ball get moving for an open shot. Focus on him this half. For as much as he brings on offense he's a defensive mess.

I understand helping if AB or Miller is on the bench but when they have two big men on the court he has to lock down.

Reaction Score
Hamilton's defense has improved IMMENSELY over the course of the season, but he's had a shocker today.

It happens. He'll get better.
Where has it improved? Honestly. The entire season he has constantly been losing his man who then hits an open 3. I understand that hes a great rebounder, but maybe thats because he never guards his guy on the 3pt line.

Reaction Score
Where has it improved? Honestly. The entire season he has constantly been losing his man who then hits an open 3. I understand that hes a great rebounder, but maybe thats because he never guards his guy on the 3pt line.

The rebounding thing is exactly right. Maybe Ollie tells him to cheat off into the lane to help with the boards. But he needs to keep his head on a swivel in that case.

Reaction Score
I have thought that it is a potential Ollie thing. Telling him to cheat in. And I understand that when All you have out there is like Phil or Enoch. But he goes wherever he wants all the time. His man is constantly wide open or behind him allowing the guy to get to the rim. Each series the defense sets and when the point guard takes one step he just moves inside

Reaction Score
First negative thting I've ever said about the kid - his defense was noticeably poor today and it cost us the game. He was cheating off the guy on the other team who had already hit three of five from three and the guy hit another kind. What the hell is he thinking king?k

Reaction Score
Hamilton is a tweener in just about every sense. He doesn't fit on a team with well-defined roles, and you need that to succeed as a team.

Not quite a point guard, not quite a shooting guard, not quite a forward. A finesse player with so-so touch. Not physical enough to credibly defend or double-team the post, but not quick enough to recover to shooters at the perimeter. Not a leader, but needs to dominate the ball to be productive. He's a Swiss Army knife on a team built to operate like a tool box, with each guy having a specific purpose he excels at.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The rebounding thing is exactly right. Maybe Ollie tells him to cheat off into the lane to help with the boards. But he needs to keep his head on a swivel in that case.
I think you have something here because we cannot board without him, he help defends the bigs then is often right there for a board. Of course he lays by getting burned on 3's

Reaction Score
Where has it improved? Honestly.
Since December? In literally every aspect of his game he's improved defensively. He's much better 1v1, has learned how to challenge shots without fouling, spends very little time loitering in the passing lanes playing high-risk D looking for steals, and he's been smarter about his double teams.

Obviously that wasn't the case today, and I thought he was only decent against SMU. But compared to what he was last year, and it's no contest.

The advanced stats agree, btw. Hamilton leads us in defensive win shares (kind of a crummy stat, but still) and is third in defensive box +/- (a much better stat).

He still has a ways to go, but days like today have been the exception rather than the rule. Go back and watch a few games from January and the first half of February if you've missed it.

Reaction Score
He's a small forward, not a point guard. Ollie needs to stop pretending that he's magic Johnson and let a point guard get Hamilton the ball at the elbow, at which point is would be way easier for him to make plays.

We're a very good defensive team. Plenty good enough to compensate for Hamilton's lackluster defense. But we have to stop letting Hamilton have the ball so much when he doesn't excel at anything on offense.

Reaction Score
Hamilton can be a Rip 2.0. He needs to find one or two things and do it well. Right now he's a jack of all trades and a master of none. He seems to think he is better than he is (not in a confident way).

Coaches really needs to work with him. His strengths are mid-range jumpers and assists let him master those two before giving him ball handling duties.

Some of his play is coaching related, not necessarily the head coach but staff collectively.

Reaction Score
Hamilton can be a Rip 2.0. He needs to find one or two things and do it well. Right now he's a jack of all trades and a master of none. He seems to think he is better than he is (not in a confident way).

Coaches really needs to work with him. His strengths are mid-range jumpers and assists let him master those two before giving him ball handling duties.

Some of his play is coaching related, not necessarily the head coach but staff collectively.
Rip is arguably our best player ever, I think it's pretty safe to say Daniel Hamilton will never be Richard Hamilton 2.0.

Reaction Score
Rip is arguably our best player ever, I think it's pretty safe to say Daniel Hamilton will never be Richard Hamilton 2.0.
He's got the talent (maybe not Rip talent) and the skills. Just saying he needs to master at least two before trying to be Magic, who was unique. John he is our best player but not our best player (if that makes sense).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom