Hamilton signs with Sam Goldfeder | The Boneyard

Hamilton signs with Sam Goldfeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Deserves its own thread without being buried on the 28th page of a mega thread.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Yes. Let's get behind this kid like any other former UConn player and root like hell for him to succeed. I think Purvis put it best.

Agreed. And the mega threads are driving me crazy. I see the server logs daily. Fewer and fewer people read the mega threads, and they become a dozen or two people talking to themselves. The number of views is incredibly misleading - it's the same people checking the thread many times a day.

Starting a new thread when there is new information gets the most views and the most replies. Most visitors read the board a couple times a week, at most. They simply don't wade through the mega threads.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes. Let's get behind this kid like any other former UConn player and root like hell for him to succeed. I think Purvis put it best.
Hey I've been one of the guys behind him from the beginning, I just don't like how everyone was hating on him in the other thread.

Reaction Score
I'm on board. He's left. Time to support a former Husky! He needs to be a monster in workouts.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
While I think DHam should have probably stayed at least one more year to work on his game, I wish him nothing but the best and will cheer for him no matter what.

I think this is also a good time to take stock in how lucky we have been as UConn fans in that we rarely see guys leave UConn early without the head coach's blessing. That kind of stuff seems to happen to Syracuse almost every year.

Good luck DHam! You'll always be a Husky.

Reaction Score
I'm not worried about Dham making money he'll make plenty of it as a professional somewhere. My only concern is whether or not he's got the maturity and mental toughness to live on his own especially in a place overseas. Guys like Boat and Purvo I wouldn't worry but Dham seems like a different cat. But hey his parents seem to feel different so what do I know? If he's going to be in the NBA he's going to have to beat out grown men many of whom have kids and will literally kill you for that last spot on an NBA roster. I'm hoping his talent is enough to get some NBA GM to take a chance on him. Best of luck Dham. It's not like he's transferring he's a Husky for life.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
My only concern is whether or not he's got the maturity and mental toughness to live on his own especially in a place overseas.

His brothers should be able to give him good advice and support when it comes to that.

Reaction Score
Ok, we had concerns. It's a wrap. He's gone. I understand this is the yard but how many times do we need to post our concerns.

Get on board supporting a former Husky.

This is where we at boys.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
That kind of stuff seems to happen to Syracuse almost every year.

Could that be because the head coach there is more worried about his W/L record the next season than he is about his players' chances of going high in the draft?

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Could that be because the head coach there is more worried about his W/L record the next season than he is about his players' chances of going high in the draft?
I mean it's fun and all to say Boeheim is looking out for his own ass, but it seems he was right about quite a few of his recent early entrants.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Good luck DHam! Represent yourself, your family, your former team mates and coaches, your university and your fans well. And in that order.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I have to admit, I thought this was a bad decision. But when I read what @temery said about him making way more than any of us when we were 20, I realized he made the right choice. He's gonna make plenty overseas anyways, why not maximize your earning potential.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I have to admit, I thought this was a bad decision. But when I read what @temery said about him making way more than any of us when we were 20, I realized he made the right choice. He's gonna make plenty overseas anyways, why not maximize your earning potential.

Actually even more dramatic than that: He will be making way more than most of us NOW....and he's only 20.

Reaction Score

I don't necessarily think it was a bad decision, but comparing his salary to that of boneyarders probably isn't the best way to assess the situation.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I don't necessarily think it was a bad decision, but comparing his salary to that of boneyarders probably isn't the best way to assess the situation.

How so?

Reaction Score
How so?

Well, for starters, it's apples and oranges. The earning expectancy of somebody like Hamilton coming into college is not the same as it would be for somebody like me.

If everybody looked at it through this lens, no pro prospect would ever return to college, or even attend college in the first place for that matter. If Kemba Walker had said after his sophomore year, "hey, if I declare now, I can make more money than 99% of the boneyard (something that would have been true)" he wouldn't have returned to college and things likely would not have worked out as well for him. Obviously, for every Kemba, there are a bunch of guys whose stocks stagnate as they lose out on a year of earning potential, but I'm sure we agree there plenty of other benefits to college.

That said, I agree with what I think was your overall point (that these decisions are less straightforward than the average fan thinks, and to the extent that one decides to declare professionally or return to school is often a matter of personal preference).

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
How so?
I would say a good chunk of the BY who has a 9-5 job would make 2-3x more per year than any DL player, or lower level Europe/China player.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I would say a good chunk of the BY who has a 9-5 job would make 2-3x more per year than any DL player, or lower level Europe/China player.

While I'm sure many people on here make good money, an average euro player should be around $70k (from what I remember). And that's completely tax free (anything under 100k). Good leagues have something like a $100k bare minimum. So if you are a good player, you'll make a fair bit more.

Plus they usually get living expenses like a car and an apt. Pretty damn good gig.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
While I'm sure many people on here make good money, an average euro player should be around $70k (from what I remember). And that's completely tax free (anything under 100k). Good leagues have something like a $100k bare minimum. So if you are a good player, you'll make a fair bit more.

Plus they usually get living expenses like a car and an apt. Pretty damn good gig.
I didn't think the lower level players made that much. Interesting. I would sign up for a free apartment, car, females of various sorts, and other expenses.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I didn't think the lower level players made that much. Interesting. I would sign up for a free apartment, car, females of various sorts, and other expenses.

Depends what you mean by low level. There's fifth division teams where guys only make 20k a year, but most of those guys have 9-5 jobs. US players don't go over there for that. DH right now is way above that level.

Reaction Score
Depends what you mean by low level. There's fifth division teams where guys only make 20k a year, but most of those guys have 9-5 jobs. US players don't go over there for that. DH right now is way above that level.
Where will he by 30? If he hasn't stuck on a roster, which definitely is not guaranteed based on what he showed this year or because of injury, he doesn't have the college degree to fall back on.Not saying he should have stayed all four years but that would set him up the best for the future not only off the court but also on the court. He may be supporting his family in the short run, and that is 100% his decision to make and I hope he is incredibly successful, but his family doesn't seem to be looking long term and thats where I'm surprised KO wasn't able to sway him, with his experience in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom