Hamilton Passing up Shots . . . | The Boneyard

Hamilton Passing up Shots . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1. I thought it was odd that Memphis seemed to keep leaving Hamilton open for shots from the perimeter - was I missing something? Was he just going through screens like a former Hamilton and getting open? There were 10 times last night where he received a pass, was open for a very good look, and passed up on the shot.

2. One time Ollie chewed him out for shooting. Not sure why - early in the shot clock?

3. For my dollar, if we're not crashing the rim trying to draw fouls as a strategy, the kid should shoot EVERY TIME HE HAS AN OPEN LOOK. I put that in caps to stress the point in an unmissable manner. Seriously, every time. It would do two things - A. Have our 2nd best shooter shooting more open shots, and B. loosen up the D for his drive and for other people.

Do you think he's passing up the shot from his own choice, or because Ollie is making him?

I think it's the latter.

It's tough to watch sometimes, because DHam shooting an open 3 is most often going to be a better look than whatever results from him driving and kicking to . . . whomever.

Reaction Score
I thought he was open a lot as well. I think they just did their homework on him. Reminds me a lot of DeAndre with that hesitation pump fake. He needs to learn that he doesn't have to put the ball on the floor everytime he receives a pass. If you are wide open, go up with that shot right away. Memphis did that a lot and they made us pay for it. Hamilton passed up a lot of shots.

I do remember Ollie getting on him for taking that 3 and missing. I think he was just mad because we settled, and we were down too. If you are feeling it and you have knocked down a couple threes already, maybe you live with that miss as a coach. But it looked like he just settles. that being said, the defender didn't really impede his shot and alter it in any way imo, but still, that's not the shot we wanted.

I really think he is passing up open shots because he has that natural tendency to hesitate and pump fake. Maybe he is more use to creating his own shots then having someone else create a open shot for him. Maybe he is more comfortable with someone close to him or in his face. I've seen Ollie get on him for passing up shots too.

I feel where you are coming from though. I think this kid has tremendous potential offensively and I think even now he's just something really small away from tapping into that potential. The good news is he is just a freshman and I think before he is finished wearing a UConn jersey he's going to unlock that potential and show off for us.

Reaction Score
He stopped shooting both because Ollie cheweed him out for taking 3's early in the clock we can get anytime and also because he was 2-8 from 3 already early in the 2nd half. Finished 2-9.

Reaction Score
He stopped shooting both because Ollie cheweed him out for taking 3's early in the clock we can get anytime and also because he was 2-8 from 3 already early in the 2nd half. Finished 2-9.

We really can't get wide open 3's whenever we want, at least not with competent shooters. If Ollie was getting on him, then I strongly disagree with KO. I think DHam needs to get more comfortable in catch and shoot situations. He is used to having the ball so it seems he developed a preference for shooting off the bounce. Bazz is the same way.

Reaction Score
We really can't get wide open 3's whenever we want, at least not with competent shooters. If Ollie was getting on him, then I strongly disagree with KO. I think DHam needs to get more comfortable in catch and shoot situations. He is used to having the ball so it seems he developed a preference for shooting off the bounce. Bazz is the same way.
Completely agree with this observation.
The notion that, "we can get that shot later in the shot clock," which was mouthed by the know-nothing announcers, is asinine. DHam with no defender w/in 5 feet is not something we get with 4 on the shot clock. We get Boat with 2 guys on him chucking prayers (no slight on Boat - he has no choice).

Further, the fact that he was 2 of 7 or whatever prior to that shot is irrelevant, and I'd guess Ollie believes that too. If you start telling kids that they should curtail shooting if they are cold, there's no way you will ever be good.

Reaction Score
Further, the fact that he was 2 of 7 or whatever prior to that shot is irrelevant, and I'd guess Ollie believes that too. If you start telling kids that they should curtail shooting if they are cold, there's no way you will ever be good.

I meant it more that he told himself to stop shooting because of the 1-6 at halftime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom