OT: Halloween rant | The Boneyard

OT: Halloween rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This may be my last year giving out candy. Back in the day of my youth we followed certain protocols:

Rang the doorbell ONCE...not ding dong ding dong ding dong ding dong

Said "Trick or Treat"...not just stare at you with their bags held out

Left room for the door to be opened to receive the treats....not look put out when asked to step back

Said "Thank you" instead of just turning and walking away

And then....after typing that, I had the door bell ring once, opened to door to two adorable little girls stepping back off the doorstep saying in unison "Trick or Treat", with one asking me if I was a Grandma (ouch, that one hurt but she was so cute I just laughed), when I said no she asked if I was a Mom, and I said yes but my boys are all grown up, then she wanted to see my kids! Too funny. They said "Thank you" WITHOUT a prompt from mom and dad. Restored my faith in the youth of today with that last visit.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Don't feel bad; I sometimes have kids that aren't even in costume.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
We went out to dinner tonight, as we always do on Halloween. Left early, came back late. Less hassle, more fun. We donate the coin we would have spent on candy to a favorite children's charity. That way it actually helps someone and doesn't promote diabetes and tooth decay. We did it the old way for years, but it's not for us any more. Old age sometimes mandates change.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nobody has come to our house in a couple years. House is being resided so we don't have a front light anyway. Didn't even notice any kids going up and down the street. Pretty much non event anymore.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
We have often been out, but were home tonight. Probably at least 40 kids, mostly with parents. We live in a non-gated but "only one way in" sub-division where there are relatively few resident children, so maybe friends of folks??

Most were polite, a few not so much, most of the costumes were so-so compared to what I remember.

When we ran out of candy, we turned off the door light and closed the blind over the little window by the door.

Reaction Score
We're still getting a steady stream of kids. Sometimes I ask for tricks before forking over the candy. One little girl did a handstand on the porch.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Last time I handed out candy was probably 10 years ago... maybe more. I remember going to the store and buying a bunch of candy..... and not one kid showed up all night. I dont even like candy that much..... so i took most of the candy to work and let co-workers grab what they wanted. I dont think anyone on my block hands out candy.... maybe one house..... I came home from grabbing dinner.... it was after 9pm... and i saw a group of kids walking . I felt kinda bad for them... cause i doubt they got any treats on my street. Suppose if I was in a better mood.... I could have handed out cans of Tuna or 9 month old granola bars or something :rolleyes:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
A friend of mine had almost 800 kids tonight; they had 900 last year, but their neighborhood is known for having a lot of trick or treaters.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Had 35 kiddos this year, a few more last year. This year skewed a bit younger - I suspect that, it being a Friday night this year, the older kids had organized parties to go to.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
In my neighborhood in Ellington, the trick-or-treaters reliably start showing up at 6:00 and stop showing up shortly after 8:00. Certainly, some of the things UConnChappette found annoying were absolutely infractions for which many kids were guilty. Ringing my doorbell more than once for no good reason, not giving me enough room to open the door, just quietly holding out the chosen vessel for candy...I got that a lot.

One redeeming quality; literally every kid thanked me for the candy.

My last trick-or-treaters of the evening were brother and sister, dressed, respectively, as Batman and a fairy princess. They were adorable. They were also my children. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom