OT: - Hacked bank account | The Boneyard

OT: Hacked bank account

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
My mother's bank account was hacked a couple of weeks ago and her bank is fixing her issue.

Alas, she is losing memory cells and really never knew what questions to ask her bank, like, was this widespread? Or just her?

She describes the scenario as such:

One day, maybe within two days of her money disappearing, she gets a call from someone wanting verification on her debit card #. She hung up. Call happens again later that day. Another attempt for info. My mother says she gave nothing up.

Her money shows as being withdrawn after three tiny Venmo deposits totaling about 60 cents are made and one Venmo withdrawal for about a dollar.

So, anyone know what this is? Is my mother maybe not admitting to confirming some numbers? She is adamant she didn't.

Reaction Score
That sounds like someone made a Venmo account using her info - that's how Venmo verifies. They make a few minor deposits and withdraw the deposits after, then you confirm the deposits on the Venmo side showing you have access to the account.

Dove

Reaction Score
Typically, how is the info acquired?

Dove

Reaction Score
I dunno. This smells like @Dove planting a story to cover up the fact that he is bilking his mom.
For all of her 3000 dollars?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Happened to me awhile back. Totally the banks fault, someone forged my name. Bank refunded the money without question. Now we use multiple identification verification. File a police report so there’s record.

Reaction Score
Typical Dove. Asking a message board how to protect his mothers life savings.

Reaction Score
My mother's bank account was hacked a couple of weeks ago and her bank is fixing her issue.

Alas, she is losing memory cells and really never knew what questions to ask her bank, like, was this widespread? Or just her?

One day, maybe within two days of her money disappearing, she gets a call from someone wanting verification on her debit card #. She hung up. Call happens again later that day. Another attempt for info. My mother says she gave nothing up.

Her money shows as being withdrawn after three tiny Venmo deposits totaling about 60 cents are made and one Venmo withdrawal for about a dollar.

So, anyone know what this is? Is my mother maybe not admitting to confirming some numbers? She is adamant she didn't.
this is a common hack but fortunately for you I have learned how to protect the most vulnerable and I'd be happy to help. Just message me her name, ssn, date of birth, and her bank account number and I'll be sure the funds are secure.

Dove

Reaction Score
this is a common hack but fortunately for you I have learned how to protect the most vulnerable and I'd be happy to help. Just message me her name, ssn, date of birth, and her bank account number and I'll be sure the funds are secure.
Okay. Give me 20 minutes.

Reaction Score
Received an email from a bank in the midwest thanking me for opening an account. Called the banks fraud dept and said not me, they closed the account and cancelled the credit card. I asked how much was deposited into the new account and they said zero, I asked do you normally open a new account with no deposit. They had no answer said it was all done over the phone. Person opening the account gave them my name, date of birth and email address,

Reaction Score
Someone hacked my account 2 years took about 8k. After the bank and cops investigated it they concluded they had a skimmer on a gas pump I used and made a physical card from that info

The bank and cops told me that thief’s get a lot of card info and make them from people who pay at the pump. Was told to go inside when using a card to prevent it from happening again

I got everything back but it was a PIA

Reaction Score
Someone hacked my account 2 years took about 8k. After the bank and cops investigated it they concluded they had a skimmer on a gas pump I used and made a physical card from that info

The bank and cops told me that thief’s get a lot of card info and make them from people who pay at the pump. Was told to go inside when using a card to prevent it from happening again

There’s an app to detect skimmers.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be quicker to post the info in a reply here?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Typically, how is the info acquired?
I work at a bank and elderly hacking and account abuse is rampant. They could get her information off one of her checks. People will take checks out of the mail, they get people who work at businesses that take a lot of checks to sell them info. Also if she uses a debit card there are ways that people can get that info as simple as getting it from a retail business or from servers at restaurants will sell this info. Does she use her debit card to pay for gas. Hackers place readers into the card slot that looks like part of the pump but actually collect all the info input. They will come at night when business is slow and remove the reader. Nobody is safe anymore It is horrible. Sorry The best thing she can do is close the account and get new one and new debit card. We have seen it happen to the same people multiple times. Evil exists

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There’s an app to detect skimmers.
I would think they’re pretty easy to spot…
1647142085986.jpeg

Dove

Reaction Score

With her being so adamant I told my wife about maybe a skimmer was out there. I'll check her withdrawal history.

Dove

Reaction Score
I work at a bank and elderly hacking and account abuse is rampant. They could get her information off one of her checks. People will take checks out of the mail, they get people who work at businesses that take a lot of checks to sell them info. Also if she uses a debit card there are ways that people can get that info as simple as getting it from a retail business or from servers at restaurants will sell this info. Does she use her debit card to pay for gas. Hackers place readers into the card slot that looks like part of the pump but actually collect all the info input. They will come at night when business is slow and remove the reader. Nobody is safe anymore It is horrible. Sorry The best thing she can do is close the account and get new one and new debit card. We have seen it happen to the same people multiple times. Evil exists
Thanks for the info

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Tried to send you a direct message but couldn’t.

Sorry to hear this.

My grandpa keeps falling for (a different) scam. Thousands of dollars. Really sad.

Look out for gift cards laying around the house.

They are how they get them to move the money.

Reaction Score
"Ma'am we can investigate the cause as to why the IRS has suspended your Social Security Number, but first we need you to verify it for us."

Social engineering targets the elderly all the freakin time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom