HACK-A-DRUMMOND... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

HACK-A-DRUMMOND...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think another idea (and valid) is that taller players generally have bigger hands which makes free throws (and shooting in general) harder on average with the size of the ball.

Reaction Score
excellent point...The "hands theory" seems to have relevance. Logically speaking that is.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
excellent point...The "hands theory" seems to have relevance. Logically speaking that is.

It's also longer limbs. The more length you have to control, the more that can go wrong. And big muscles get in the way too. Bigger guys aren't as coordinated as 6' pgs.

And finally, shooting free throws begins with the legs. short guys use their legs to get the ball up in a nice arc. This is why you see guys miss more free throws towards the end of games, as their legs get tired. Big dudes are already up high and so tend not to use their legs as much. They've much flatter shots, especially because they are shooting near even (almost downwards) with the hoop.

Reaction Score
What about Yao Ming? Or Pau Gasol? Or Shareef Abdur-Rahim?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
What about Yao Ming? Or Pau Gasol? Or Shareef Abdur-Rahim?

It's not a gnikcvf iron clad rule. It's on average. There's exceptions to every point you can make about players.

I'm sure if you looked at country wide big man free throw shooting percentages vs guards, you'd see a big difference.

Reaction Score
It's also longer limbs. The more length you have to control, the more that can go wrong. And big muscles get in the way too. Bigger guys aren't as coordinated as 6' pgs.

And finally, shooting free throws begins with the legs. short guys use their legs to get the ball up in a nice arc. This is why you see guys miss more free throws towards the end of games, as their legs get tired. Big dudes are already up high and so tend not to use their legs as much. They've much flatter shots, especially because they are shooting near even (almost downwards) with the hoop.
"This is why you see guys miss more free throws towards the end of games, as their legs get tired." Excellent point there are several variables that come into the free throw shooting equation. It is n interesting dynamic to the game. The physical and mental cumulatively effected the result. Thanks for the thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom