OT: gym etiquette | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: gym etiquette

Reaction Score
Depends on your goals, I guess. My trainer wants me to use big, multi-muscle exercises to add to my core strength which helps me lift more. I get a complete workout with fewer exercises that way.
Well generally, women shouldn’t bother training isolated movements like a curl. You all for the most part, from an endocrinology standpoint, just can’t and shouldn’t try to lift like men.

I agree that you should really just do the bigger compound movements. As you said, get more out of fewer exercises. Any female will look great consistently doing squats, bends, lunges, (assisted) pull-ups, rows, and overhead press.

In fact, if you did something like

Deadlift/dumbbell row/step-up
Squat/pullup/overhead
Goodmorning/lunge/barbell row

That’s a solid Monday/Wednesday/Friday split

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Depends on your goals, I guess. My trainer wants me to use big, multi-muscle exercises to add to my core strength which helps me lift more. I get a complete workout with fewer exercises that way.
Yep, you're doing it right. I've found over the years that if you go hard on big compound type movements you can get the most out of your workouts in a short amount of time. Intensity is way more important than volume, IMO. Pretty sure I get more out of 40 minutes of hard work than people who spend 1.5 hours plus.

I'm just saying curls have a role if you want big arms. Not sure why women would want big arms. Years ago I would do all sorts of heavy curling movements and cable stuff but I don't think it's necessary in the least bit. Nowadays, I'll just finish a back workout with one or two curl movements. Rotate between standing ez bar curls Incline dumbell curls and spider curls.

Reaction Score
Lifting right in front of the dumbbell racks so that nobody can take the dumbbells that they are blocking.

Reaction Score
Naked old guys that treat a locker room like a 1950s Men’s Club

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
That's stupid. The lowest should always be the bar. Everyone should do whatever weight works for them, if you're too lazy to put on your own plates or strip your own weights you shouldn't go to the gym.
If you can’t bench 135 you should probably start with dumbbells so you don’t hurt yourself. Has nothing to do with laziness.

Reaction Score
If you can’t bench 135 you should probably start with dumbbells so you don’t hurt yourself. Has nothing to do with laziness.
It's pretty rare that any woman can bench 135 lbs.

Reaction Score
I have a Planet Fitness "Black Card" membership, which allows me to use any Planet Fitness, anywhere. It costs $10 more per month but totally worth it for me because I travel around the state frequently for work and I keep a packed gym bag in my car at all times so I can hop in and get in a workout whenever, wherever I am, if I have an hour or so to spare. I really like the anonymity of going to other gyms, especially at non-peak hours. And almost every one of them is nicer than my "home" Planet Fitness.

But the thing that still makes me scratch my head about my home gym is free pizza on the first Monday of every month. And it's really good pizza from a very good local place. But it is absolutely the last thing I am thinking about when I am going to the gym, especially on a Monday, when I am almost always trying to atone for overindulgence over the weekend. It's gotten to the point that it angers me when I end up at the gym on those nights because it's a completely unnecessary temptation that seems antithetical in just about every way. And there is clearly a crowd of people who are there because it is free pizza night, which blows my mind. I've never given in, but I have to block out the thought because, well, it's pizza and it's damned good.
The free pizza keeps you coming back to the gym, like a rehab center giving out free heroin.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

OP: I have a trainer and he says...

Boneyard Advice Columnist: Yeah, but you’re a girl, so....

Reaction Score
Naked old guys that treat a locker room like a 1950s Men’s Club

I totally agree and it seems to be a certain demographic. What was it about that generation that makes them so comfortable walking around the lockerroom naked? Did they grow up showering in gym class in front of everyone? Is it a want to show what your packin type thing?

Reaction Score
OP: I have a trainer and he says...

Boneyard Advice Columnist: Yeah, but you’re a girl, so....
Try “the current research from medical and sports sciences indicates...”

Or maybe even “common sense dictates...”

Reaction Score
I totally agree and it seems to be a certain demographic. What was it about that generation that makes them so comfortable walking around the lockerroom naked? Did they grow up showering in gym class in front of everyone? Is it a want to show what your packin type thing?

It is clearly a demographic thing but not a generation thing IMO. You may be next.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Without trying to go too off topic, yes they did.

Some of them may have served in the military and were used to communal showers.
Even many high schools had open showers for dudes.
I graduated HS in '88 and am pretty sure guy showers we're open areas.

Not just showers but troughs for urinals at many locations.

I don't get the whole one leg up on the bench in the locker room au natural or doing personal hygiene that way either.

Reaction Score
You definitely hit the lockeroom hard this morning to catch some glimpses.

My point was old people don't give a ___ and I assume this is why they walk naked in the locker room. And you may one day be an old man. I went to yoga this morning. I did get some good glimpses

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I'm sense a whole lot of closeted guys in this thread with old man fantasies.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Try “the current research from medical and sports sciences indicates...”

Or maybe even “common sense dictates...”

It also assumes that every person is good at their job....something this board is routinely guilty of

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
It's pretty rare that any woman can bench 135 lbs.
Yes that’s why they should do dumbbells. You get a much better stretch and it builds stabilization muscles.
You’re not the same guy who “lol big deal” over Kevin Mensah hitting a triple at 315, are you?
Lmao no that’s impressive - I didn’t even know he could do that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My biggest pet peeve is when some middle aged guy is at the gym, and sees a bunch of 20 somethings playing hoop on the court, and asks if they need 1 more even though he has no possible chance of keeping up with that game.

Oh wait, that's me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom