Gum Chewing Ball Players | The Boneyard

Gum Chewing Ball Players

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Did anyone notice Laksa in yesterday's game going at her chewing gum vigorously. A few close ups. And one of UCF's starters was hard at work too. Is this common? I would not think it safe. It would be too easy to aspirate it in the heat of battle is my thought.

Now Gabby likes a good chew on her mouth guard before foul shots and during time outs. That's okay. Not about to suck that down.

However, gum in the wrong circumstances can kill you; for example poor baller Shanice Clark:

Basketball player likely died from chewing gum in sleep :(

And you can just imagine what the underside of "the bench" could look like over time. :rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Egad: Chews To Win: Does Gum Chewing Really Improve Athletic Performance?

"In a recent study conducted by Tokyo Dental College’s Department of Sports Dentistry -- The Effects of Gum Chewing on the Body Reaction Time -- researchers measured the physical movement response time and the reaction time of the long fibular muscle in athletes while performing with and without gum. Their findings showed significant positive impact to physical performance while chewing gum.

As mentioned earlier, gum chewing increases the level of activity in the frontal lobe of the brain, making the brain cortex more alert and increasing cognitive functions. That includes general levels of caution and arousal levels, which enhances the degree of reaction and shortens the body’s response time. A quicker response time means quicker movement and action in the “fast-twitch” muscles, giving players a competitive advantage on the field, court or ice. Essentially, chewing gum gives athletes the ability to run slightly faster and jump slightly higher.

The benefits of chewing gum while playing sports go beyond simply increasing the body’s response time. Again, gum chewing increases levels of activity in the brain, particularly the cortex, which enables a higher level of concentration. Chewing gum also decreases adrenaline, which reduces stress and drowsiness; factors that also contribute to enhanced performance."

Study sponsored by the Wrigley Company perhaps?

Certainly anything that would get Laksa's fast twitch muscles going a bit more would help.

Reaction Score
Study sponsored by the Wrigley Company perhaps?

Good one! Seriously, though, I've long thought that chewing gum during athletics would have to create a real choking hazard. Also noticed that no Huskies have ever done it during their time at UConn, so thankfully that must be one of CD's rules.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Did anyone notice Laksa in yesterday's game going at her chewing gum vigorously. A few close ups. And one of UCF's starters was hard at work too. Is this common? I would not think it safe. It would be too easy to aspirate it in the heat of battle is my thought.

UL Washington's constant toothpick-chewing, while batting running, fielding, SLIDING, used to make me crazy.
th

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

Now Gabby likes a good chew on her mouth guard before foul shots and during time outs. That's okay. Not about to suck that down.

However, gum in the wrong circumstances can kill you; for example poor baller Shanice Clark:

And you can just imagine what the underside of "the bench" could look like over time. :rolleyes:

At least it's not baseball, just 20 years ago, tobacco, ugh.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This has been a pet peeve of mine for years. Baseball, basketball, track, soccer, football, volleyball -- the one common rule in all of them when I was growing up is you NEVER chew gum when competing in a sporting event.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
At least it's not baseball, just 20 years ago, tobacco, ugh.

And now sun flower seeds - guys looking like hamsters, dug out floors shells and spit and psssst the smokeless in bags is still out there.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In a game where constant communication should be mandatory, how do you manage? :confused:

Reaction Score
If it's a CD rule, it's a good one...
"
In January of 2015, I heard about Shanice Clark. She was a 21 year old senior athlete at California University of Pennsylvania. According to the coroner, she died from choking on gum. I did a little searching and found several cases of people who died that way.

I even checked with the International Chewing Gum Association (yes there really is such an organization) and they said, "As with any food product, chewing gum, in exceptional circumstances, can present a risk of choking for children and even adults."

What makes the choking problem so serious is that gum is flexible. If it gets stuck, unlike regular foods, gum tends to turn into a perfect block for your airway. When a vegetable gets lodged in your throat, you can use maneuvers like the Heimlich to force it out. But with gum, it hangs on and merely shifts it's shape to the various pressures. It's much harder to expel and is much more likely to be lethal. "

Reaction Score
UL Washington's constant toothpick-chewing, while batting running, fielding, SLIDING, used to make me crazy.
th
Completely off-topic: Your mention of the toothpick reminded me of a sports scene from my childhood in Springfield, MA, where I was a rabid fan of the Springfield Indians. The team had a rough-and-tough defenseman by the name of Roger Cote, and no matter whether he was on the ice or in the penalty box (which happened frequently, IIRC), he had a toothpick in his mouth. I have no idea whether it stayed there when he was involved in heavy body contact, but there always seemed to be one while he played.

Reaction Score
If it's a CD rule, it's a good one...
"
In January of 2015, I heard about Shanice Clark. She was a 21 year old senior athlete at California University of Pennsylvania. According to the coroner, she died from choking on gum. I did a little searching and found several cases of people who died that way.

I even checked with the International Chewing Gum Association (yes there really is such an organization) and they said, "As with any food product, chewing gum, in exceptional circumstances, can present a risk of choking for children and even adults."

What makes the choking problem so serious is that gum is flexible. If it gets stuck, unlike regular foods, gum tends to turn into a perfect block for your airway. When a vegetable gets lodged in your throat, you can use maneuvers like the Heimlich to force it out. But with gum, it hangs on and merely shifts it's shape to the various pressures. It's much harder to expel and is much more likely to be lethal. "
To be fair, Ms. Clark aspirated gum while sleeping. It's not likely we are going to see athletes dropping dead on the court.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Well it is better then my high school shooting guard. He dipped snuff during our games. Where did he spit? He didn't. He swallowed. I chewed gum. During the in motion moments of the game I moved the gum to the left side of my mouth and with my tongue shoved in down between my gums and cheek, When there was a lull in play I began chewing again. It just became automatic. Why no concern for baseball players and their chewing tobacco? Some of those fellows used to get quite a wad going. I was the only player on our HS baseball team who could not dip or chew tobacco without getting sick. I surreptitiously stuffed raisins in my cheek so when I spit it looked like the brown tobacco expectorate. Got rotted teeth instead. :rolleyes:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
What about the consequences of it falling out of the player's mouth, landing on the court and then being stepped on by a player or ref? Seems like an accident waiting to happen...

Reaction Score

I have two words for you. Madison Cable. There were times when I tried to look away but just couldn't take my eyes off the spectacle of her and that damn mouth guard. It should have fallen out forty or fifty times but somehow managed to hang in there. It was probably coated in stickum.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have two words for you. Madison Cable. There were times when I tried to look away but just couldn't take my eyes off the spectacle of her and that damn mouth guard. It should have fallen out forty or fifty times but somehow managed to hang in there. It was probably coated in stickum.

Damn, the 9 year ND player, or so it seemed. Her final season was great. Hard to dislike Madison. Truth; I have no recollection at all of the mouth guard. Weird.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What about the consequences of it falling out of the player's mouth, landing on the court and then being stepped on by a player or ref? Seems like an accident waiting to happen...

Exactly. Can you imagine 2 teams, 3 refs, etc down on the floor looking for the Doublemint! And Antonelli intoning: This feels like a fake injury time out to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom