Gulf Coast Showcase | The Boneyard

Gulf Coast Showcase

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Another fairly solid field in an early season tourney.

Don't know about the early game (Ball St. vs. Fordham). In game 2 Washington is leading Duke 37-24 at halftime. Go Dawgs!

Later games are Texas vs. Quinnipiac and Missouri vs. Michigan.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I think Washington is going to get the win over the Blue Devils. Big win for the Huskies if they can pull it out!!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Sad-Jordan-Blue-Devils.jpg

Lawd hammercy

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Dawgs up 9 w/ 2 minutes left. Easily would be the biggest victory so far of the Jody Wynn era. I don't think there were any big wins last season. Duke appears to be down this year, but it's still big for UW. 3 in double figures. All 3 of the freshman have had a double figure scoring game already, this is only the 4th game. They needed more scoring punch, looks like the newcomers are going to help.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Gorecki and Odom have 17 for Duke. UW is led by Peterson w/ 17, 14 for Melgoza and 10 for Rees.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Duke is trying to mount a furious comeback. Cut a 10 point deficit to 5 in the last minute of the game, but only 9 seconds left.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
71-64 final. UW forced a bunch of TOs, but so did Duke. Huskies finished w/ 19 and Devils had 21.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Fordham beat Ball St. 78-70, that's who UW faces next. Winner in the championship game of the tourney. That probably wasn't expected.

As noted elsewhere Qunnipiac is up 12 on Texas at halftime.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The first round matchups are weird, and lower half of the bracket seems unbalanced, more strength there than the top half.

Reaction Score
Texas will play Fordham (!) for the tournament championship.

Nice comeback by Texas tonight. The Longhorns played well as a team and Sug Sutton really took the reins. I am encouraged. Freshman Audrey Warren making her first start scored 15 points on 6 of 9 shooting (2 of 3 from 3) and 1 of 2 free throws. Add 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals,1block, and zero turnovers. Color me impressed. Note that Audrey was not any kind of high school all-American that I know of. Prospects Nation ranked her the 80th best prospect. She was outside the ESPN Hoopgurlz top 100.

In early games the Horns did not look like a top 25 team, let alone a top 10 team. I thought that might be true of a number of ranked teams this early in the season and that view has been supported by the games this weekend. Texas may still be closer to a top 20 or 25 team than a top 10 team. Losing Higgs is huge. Texas is without all three of last year's starting guards though Sutton would have started on many teams. The way I see the early season is this: find a way to win the game in front of you, build your resume and RPI, try to get better each day.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Texas may still be closer to a top 20 or 25 team than a top 10 team. Losing Higgs is huge. Texas is without all three of last year's starting guards though Sutton would have started on many teams. The way I see the early season is this: find a way to win the game in front of you, build your resume and RPI, try to get better each day.
Has the extent of Higgs's injury been confirmed?

Reaction Score
Has the extent of Higgs's injury been confirmed?

No, not yet. It looked bad and the sadly familiar scream was heard over the Internet feed. On the positive front, Joyner Holmes was with the team and not wearing a boot. Also, Prince is recovering much more quickly than expected. She could possibly play this year if she chooses. Aston has said Holmes and Prince will return based on what is best for each player, not what is best for the team.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Missouri and Washington had a home and home a few years ago. Pretty sure they split. Cunningham was probably around for those games but I think just about everybody that played for UW is gone (Hannah Johnson maybe played a few minutes off the bench).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Who would have guessed a Fordham vs Texas Final

Missouri and Washington had a home and home a few years ago. Pretty sure they split. Cunningham was probably around for those games but I think just about everybody that played for UW is gone (Hannah Johnson maybe played a few minutes off the bench).

Washington plays Michigan ..... a possible preview of the Rose Bowl.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
How did Duke lose to UW? Just streamed the UW @ Seattle U. game, Huskies did not look good. They won, but they let a 20 point early 3rd quarter lead get down to 7 and just could't shake SU. The Redhawks are 0-7, and as far as I can tell they are terrible. For comparison Arizona beat them by 30 and Utah beat them by 27. UW beat them by 11, but that was aided by a bunch of FTs down the stretch. Melgoza scored 29 and Peterson scored 18, didn't get much from anybody else. I was expecting better this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom