OT: - Guitar question | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Guitar question

Reaction Score
Where were you when I bought my Fender acoustic ten years ago? I tried to play it for quite a while, then gave up. My hands have big palms, shorter fingers, and that string height was a major issue for me. I couldn't get the consistent fret contact needed quickly enough or with light pressure. I need to sell the thing.

I'd love to try again with an instrument that works better for me, but I'm 52 and I doubt I have it in me.
It shouldn't be that hard to press on the strings. If it is there are 3 explanations. Shoddy craftsmanship, you need a setup, or humidity has damaged the guitar. I have had 2 acoustic guitars damaged by humidity.
Those custom shop Bob Marley Gibsons are very cool. I'm checking out a Gibson ES-335 I saw on Craigslist this week. Fat Elvis and GAS go hand and hand.
That is one guitar I am missing. I have a Delonge ES-333, but that is a different animal with only one pickup. I have to wait until my next vacation before I try that. That way there is hope that the missus isn't around when it is delivered. I can only get away with claiming that I bought a guitar case and not a guitar so many times.

Reaction Score
I'm more than a little envious. But this all begs the question, what were those two best guitars your kids sold?

I kept one, and that's my Epi Elitist LP, Japan-made. I modded it with Lollar pickups and some hardware. This was just as good as any Gibson Custom Shop I ever owned or played, and probably better built than most.

My favorite that I sold was one of these: 2005 Fender Custom Shop 1966 Stratocaster Closet Classic Firemist Silver R25981

A limited run, maybe sub-50, I liked it because it had the modern specs. I couldn't abide by all those retro-relic'd jobs because they made them with old time neck radius and really thin frets. Can't understand why so many players wanted the old thin frets. Anyway, mine had something interesting going on sonically. But it increased in value and so I sold it.

I've owned a lot of the boutique builds too, and I was dubious about makers like Briggs and Artinger, but always appreciated whatever Giffin I picked up.

Reaction Score
Couple things. I used to play regularly for years. Electric is easier physically. Having said that, your mistakes are "amplified". There are enough videos on Youtube to learn-learn scales and chords early on. 1000 is more that enough for what you are trying. I would not advise headphones as hearing issues will crop up. We always wanna turn it up and get the distortion. Good luck.

Reaction Score
I think that crappy early electric I mentioned was made by Kent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom