Grobe resigned today | The Boneyard

Grobe resigned today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Add Wake to the list of schools looking for a coach in the same class and price range as Uconn. Pellini is just a matter of time at Neb. They probably out pay Uconn. UW will take a hard look at a lot of the mountain and west coast assistant coaches as well as some of the favored MAC coaches. They will also out pay Uconn.

Reaction Score
The opening at Wake does not worry me too much, I put it in the same class as if Virginia opens up. What does worry me for HC competition, is the potential openings at Indiana and/or at Rutgers…

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Nobody knows who will out pay who this off season.

I tend to think UConn realizes the ramifications of this hire and puts all their chips into the pot.

Reaction Score
The opening at Wake does not worry me too much, I put it in the same class as if Virginia opens up. What does worry me for HC competition, is the potential openings at Indiana and/or at Rutgers…
How does an opening at a Power 5 school, no matter the size or the history, not worry you? The ACC has better long term conference revenue, better quality opponents, better bowls and better overall TV exposure. The fewer openings in the Power 5, the better it is for Uconn. Fewer openings = more quality coaches available to interview. More openings = someone that this board will shake their heads at when it all comes to an end. Kind of like the last round of conference re-alignment has everyone wondering why.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The bad news is that a school like Wake can afford to pay their HC a lot more than we can. The good news is that there really isn't any incentive for Wake to do so. They get their $19MM a year whether they suck or are good.

Reaction Score
Have to wonder if Lembo is in play (does he really have a hankering for B1G over other conferences)... I'm sure they paid attention to what he did @ nearby Elon?

Reaction Score
How does an opening at a Power 5 school, no matter the size or the history, not worry you? The ACC has better long term conference revenue, better quality opponents, better bowls and better overall TV exposure. The fewer openings in the Power 5, the better it is for Uconn. Fewer openings = more quality coaches available to interview. More openings = someone that this board will shake their heads at when it all comes to an end. Kind of like the last round of conference re-alignment has everyone wondering why.

Don’t get wrong. the Wake opening could pose a problem as it’s a solid program in a good conference. But IMO, the real candidates for the HC position at our school (the ones with a real genuine interest) are or will not be in play for Wake…

Reaction Score
Wake Forest is the definition of tough football job. The last coach that ended his career at Wake with a winning record left in 1950! That's right, no coach at Wake since 1950 has a career winning record at Wake.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Wake is the 5th best program in its own state and isn't exactly the easiest place in the world to win.

Of course we're not competing with USC, Nebraska, etc. But their list of coaches is probably very different than ours.

All the other P5 things are nice, but money talks and if we were willing to pay P $1.6M which was middle of the road in the BCS, then I think we pony up for one last run at the ACC or B1G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom