OT: Griner | The Boneyard

OT: Griner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hope this ends well for BG. I do. And we all know that she's a pawn in a chess match. Can anyone with a legal background, preferably of the international law variety, specify on what grounds is the US State Department calling this an "illegal" detention? Generally speaking, in my opinion, weed laws and their corresponding legal sentences and or fines have never made much sense to me. Neither does this. But, I can just imagine how these negotiations are going seeing that the US incarcerates people for the same thing...some for LIFE. And now...almost overnight...we have new millionaires legally and openly selling weed. We're all pawns in this craziness and contradictions. You would think that the UN, years and trillions of dollars ago, would have implemented a speedy process to deport folks with low-level offenses. As it stands...a recreational drug user will probably be traded for a mass murderer.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
It would not surprise me if the guilty plea was a part of a deal in the margins to return Greiner to the US. Russia would detain her rather than lose face. Griner saying, yes you were right, but I didn’t do it purposefully, seems to set the table for Russia either to return her graciously, or deport her as an undesirable. Either one works as long as it gets her home.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'international'
adjective.
existing, occurring, or carried on between two or more nations.
'law'
noun.
the system of rules which a particular country or community recognizes as regulating the actions of its members and which it may enforce by the imposition of penalties.

as an American citizen, there is no 'international law' that i am subject to other than those in legal effect as a result of a treaty duly executed by a vote of our United States Senate. cf, league of nations, paris climate thing, iran deal, and many others that, by a vote or lack thereof from our Senate, concluded in 'no dice. not interested.'

which is not the same thing as 'over there.' when in rome, and all that. ignorantia legis neminem excusat, or, don't do things subject to their law enforcement, if you are unfamiliar with the rules, especially over there, cuz, you are supposed to know. you are expected to know their rules.

the oldest concept of so called 'international law,' pacta sunt servanda (“agreements must be kept”), is simply one based on treaties. see, US Senate.
there is no system of courts with comprehensive jurisdiction in 'international law.' For example, although 'the (UN) General Assembly, which consists of representatives of some 190 countries, has the outward appearances of a legislature, it has no power to issue binding laws. Rather, its resolutions serve only as recommendations...'
Brittany only made a simple mistake, yet did it in a wholly lawless jurisdiction.
'lawless,'
cf, Russia invades Ukraine. and the beagles go 'bbut, bbut, wwhat, wwhat?'

every high school student in America should be made to watch midnight express. i won't put up the scene which many call 'one of the harshest scenes in American cinematic history.' this should do

pro tip: it's a jungle out there in crapistan. God Bless America, and come home soon, Brittany.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Praying that she and all the other illegally held Americans will come home soon.
Please tell us why she is being illegally held? She was found with smuggling an illegal substance into a foreign country and is being held accountable by that countries legal system. She entered a GUILTY plea in court. So she is admitting that the accusation was correct.
Again - how is she being illegally held?

Reaction Score
It would not surprise me if the guilty plea was a part of a deal in the margins to return Greiner to the US. Russia would detain her rather than lose face. Griner saying, yes you were right, but I didn’t do it purposefully, seems to set the table for Russia either to return her graciously, or deport her as an undesirable. Either one works as long as it gets her home.
I think this was the move to make. Pleading guilty opens up the possibility of getting Brittney home, hopefully. Prisoner swapping might be on the table.

Reaction Score
people saying this is sad for Griner, what about the innocent journalist detained? He's not an athlete or in sports so off course he doesn't get this exposure.

Reaction Score
people saying this is sad for Griner, what about the innocent journalist detained? He's not an athlete or in sports so off course he doesn't get this exposure.
I think BGs exposure is actually helping the journalists exposure. You hear their name a lot more now.

And you can be sad for both at the same time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Please tell us why she is being illegally held? She was found with smuggling an illegal substance into a foreign country and is being held accountable by that countries legal system. She entered a GUILTY plea in court. So she is admitting that the accusation was correct.
Again - how is she being illegally held?
@vtcwbuff, it’s as if you’ve not lived on planet earth for many years. Have you not been paying attention to the Russian leadership of Vladimir Putin’s court system? I don’t believe in breaking rules, but at this time I believe the drug was “planted” by the Russian airport employee(s). She’s an American, and anything to embarrass America, is a victory for them. Just look at how she appears in court —both hands are handcuffed in front, and she’s attached to a guard by another handcuff. Now, tell me, where’s she going to run to?
Also, a guilty plea in a Russian court by anyone, especially Western foreigners — Americans, British, Canadians, etc., (and now the Ukrainians) doesn’t exactly show guilt on the accused. It’s more a defensive move to soften/lessen the punishment, if one believes that court system considers leniency.

This opinion is mine, and I’m sticking to it. It’s also okay for you to do the same

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
In the case of BG I don't think anyone disputes that she did knowingly violate a known rule. I would also strongly suspect that the WNBA union, her agent, and all of her friends at one time or another have told her of the risks of having these type of substances in Russia.
While true, I have also read that - under the protection of the oligarchs that imported her and the other players - this was "no problem".

Another feature of the laws in a country like Russia - what is illegal for one isn't necessarily going to be brought up against another. Doesn't make it right, but I suspect it is true. Given the international situation, it definitely wasn't the time to be carrying them.

Reaction Score
Praying for his safe return also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger