Griner Learns SkyHook | The Boneyard

Griner Learns SkyHook

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
well, THAT's just so cool...glad to see Kareem involved with the WNBA. I hope BG can put it to good use.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That could be a huge weapon, but she is either 4 years or 45 years behind Kareem.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Kareem's skyhook is a shot that big men after him didn't carry forward like they should have. It's an absolutely devastating shot, completely unguardable. And Kareem, though possibly taller than his billed height, did not dwarf his peers to the same extent BG does. If she masters that shot, she would be unstoppable.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
not a chance

th

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Griner has a hook but not a skyhook. The way she was double and triple teamed the skyhook would have been difficult to get off as it seems to take a while for that play to develop.

I doubt that we will see this in a game anytime soon but you never know. I just don't see it happening.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
with shooters like DT behind the arc... she may be able to get it off a few times, you just need a money shooter to keep the defense honest

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Love it. As a Lakers fan from the 80s, I'm so glad to see Kareem re-emerge back into the public eye in such a positive way. (His recent reviews of pop culture like the TV series Girls have been well-written and interesting, too.)

Wouldn't big man school have to be paid for by BG? It'd be a violation for Baylor to pay for it, right?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Love it. As a Lakers fan from the 80s, I'm so glad to see Kareem re-emerge back into the public eye in such a positive way. (His recent reviews of pop culture like the TV series Girls have been well-written and interesting, too.)

Wouldn't big man school have to be paid for by BG? It'd be a violation for Baylor to pay for it, right?
Not sure how that works. UCONN has sent players to PG school before. Not sure if they've sent anyone to Big Man school. hmmm I wonder who does pay for that?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Geno's advice to BG was work on two or three moves and perfect them. Do you think Geno would have been encouraging her to work on the sky hook?

This is a very unique shot perfected by a very unique player that will probably not be used in the game again. I just don't see anyone else developing it with much consistency.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geno's advice to BG was work in two or three moves and perfect them. Do you think Geno would have been encouraging her to work on the sky hook?

This is a very unique shot perfected by a very unique player that will probably not be used in the game again. I just don't see anyone else developing it with much consistency.

Absolutely Geno would have wanted her to master the skyhook. There are no unstoppable shots but the skyhook is as close as there is.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Geno's advice to BG was work in two or three moves and perfect them. Do you think Geno would have been encouraging her to work on the sky hook?

I actually think it's a great idea to try out in the women's game. The skyhook isn't a sexy play and won't get you on SportsCenter, which is a big part of the reason it wasn't adopted by bigs on the men's side subsequent to Kareem. And then bigs got more focused on perimeter shooting to the point that many NBA teams don't even have a traditional Center anymore.

Yes, it takes practice and coordination to perfect, but if Griner could do it, she could score at will.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Is she perfects it she will she will be the greatest player of all time? (-:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Is she perfects it she will she will be the greatest player of all time? (-:
She would definitely be in the conversation. But that's a long way off for now.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I actually think it's a great idea to try out in the women's game. The skyhook isn't a sexy play and won't get you on SportsCenter, which is a big part of the reason it wasn't adopted by bigs on the men's side subsequent to Kareem.

Let me take a contrary view, while partially agreeing. I agree that Sportcenter likes dunks form than skyhooks, which may help explain why Jabbar wasn't copied more. And while Griner will have dunks, they won't be as common as they are on the men's side.
While Sportscenter loves dunks, they also like stories . And Griner emulating Jabbar is a Story, and will have legs, so to speak. If she can perfect it, then Sportscenter will have an excuse to dust off Jabbar clips.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Maybe Griner will start a trend and more WNBA centers will try the shot.

What excites me is that Gaines is bringing in NBA players to work with BG. When Mulkey was asked early on in BG's career how she coaches a player like Griner her answer was "Just like any other player." I remember thinking how much I hated that answer. She's not like any other player so you shouldn't develop her like any other player.

Only in the WNBA will we get to see Griner reach her potential. I am glad she is playing for a coach with NBA experience.

Reaction Score
I think that would be great for BG. I'm not sure how often she would need to use it considering the style of play Phoenix runs. She may not have to use it much but it would be a great extra shot to use in her arsenal.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Not sure how that works. UCONN has sent players to PG school before. Not sure if they've sent anyone to Big Man school. hmmm I wonder who does pay for that?
Don't know either, but Rutgers sent several to the school, including Rebecca Richman and at least one other that I am certain of. And it did appear to improve her play, and she had several opportunities in WNBA camps even though she was hardly a star, so I would guess she had good fundamentals thereafter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom