Griner, Laimbeer, the WNBA, and Defensive 3 Seconds | The Boneyard

Griner, Laimbeer, the WNBA, and Defensive 3 Seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Did everyone notice the following quotation from Bill Laimbeer, former famous "bad boy" of Notre Dame and the Detroit Pistons and now coach of the New York Liberty, about Kim Mulkey and Brittney Griner?

Mulkey, he says, "... whined and cried after the [Louisville] game ... about how physical [they were] with Griner. But that's just everyday business in the WNBA. They are competitive, big, and strong, and they will hit you. Brittney will discover this. She will need to get stronger or they will push her off the block."

Although less so than in past years, the referees in the WNBA are to a degree the same individuals who do elite college games in the winter. I wonder if their tolerance for physical play in the summer is greater. Personally, I am a season ticketholder for both the CT Sun and UConn, and I do not notice a significant difference in physical play between (say) UConn or Maryland and what occurs in the W, but of course the athletes are better. I found it surprising that Tina Charles was the WNBA's leading rebounder in her rookie year with the Sun, despite never having been at that level in college to my recollection.

Another factor that may be problematic for Griner is that the WNBA is introducing the defensive 3-second rule this summer. It says that a defender may not remain in the lane for more than 3 consecutive seconds unless she is actively guarding someone. If the late Margo Dydek (the 7-2 center that the Sun had about 5 years ago) were still around, that would basically kill her defensive game, which was based on standing under the basket and functioning like a goaltender -- blocking or altering every layup and short jump shot. Griner's defensive game at Baylor was quite similar, and was the reason why Baylor could play tight perimeter defensive without having to worry about getting beat on drives or backdoor plays. If she can't do that because of this rule, it will mean a significant adjustment to her defensive game.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Well, Joe, doesn't Tina hold the UConn record for rebounds?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I think Bill is also talking about Griner encountering top quality athletes every game -- how strong is Griner's base, how good is her footwork to get around folks, how determined is she to bump (notice i didn't say hit) back. It's a fine line, that jostling in the paint. And it's why it is so exhausting to be a post player -- if you work. Guards just sit out there gentle bouncing the ball, waiting for you to get in to position.

Yes, I joke about guards, but really, watching the paint battles can be wince inducing.

I'm interested to see how much of Griner's tolerance was dictated by being in college (and the spotlight she was under because of the punch) -- and if the pros will free her up.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
In the WNBA, the athletes are fairly evenly matched, and they are all elite. There are no bunny in-conference schools to play. Lambeer has a point that BG will need more strength or she will get pushed off the block. Joe is right that he doesn't see a lot of difference in the physicality at a Sun game vs a UConn/Terps game, because UConn already plays a pro style of ball. And if BG decides to play in Europe, she will see it even more so.I am a little surprised at Lambeer's criticism of Kim Mulkey....guess he won't be asking to go visit a Baylor game to scout anytime soon.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What BG will need more than anything is mental toughness. Whining will be blood in the water in the WNBA.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting about the defensive 3 second rule. I think BG will not have a lot of trouble with that as she is quick enough to get across the lane on help defense and long enough to not have to get all the way across - also, she will be guarding post players anyway for most of the time so she will be able to camp there anyway unless teams start going to 5 out against her.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think Bill is also talking about Griner encountering top quality athletes every game -- how strong is Griner's base, how good is her footwork to get around folks, how determined is she to bump (notice i didn't say hit) back. It's a fine line, that jostling in the paint. And it's why it is so exhausting to be a post player -- if you work. Guards just sit out there gentle bouncing the ball, waiting for you to get in to position.

Yes, I joke about guards, but really, watching the paint battles can be wince inducing.

I'm interested to see how much of Griner's tolerance was dictated by being in college (and the spotlight she was under because of the punch) -- and if the pros will free her up.

Great point!

IMO, BG will find the WNBA liberating. No longer will she have 2 or 3 undersized players elbowing her in the mid section. Plus, she will be able to push back in the WNBA, which she truly was never at liberty to do in college after the punch. The play will be physical but it will be one-on-one for the most part, so she will no longer have the issue of not being able to move. For all of those who think that BG will get pushed around, just think how much SHE will get to push and establish position. BG did not get to do that in college because she knew that she would get into foul trouble and could not afford to do that. I am not sure how many players you think are going to be able to push BG off the block, but they will be few and far between.

And best of all, she will have DT to show her the ropes and let her know when it's time to give it back as good as she gets it. One year with DT will be worth 3 years of learning the ropes on her own or with any other player.

A lot has been made about DT being the best player ever, which I cannot argue, because she makes those around her better. Just think how much better she will make BG!!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
They are competitive, big, and strong, and they will hit you.

For the record, BG has also proven that she will hit you, too. And I bet DT will teach her a trick or two. I wouldn't want to be the player that tries to rough up one of DT's teammates. And I would not be surprised that other teams will give some thought to the fact that messing with BG means messing with DT. ;)

Reaction Score
Great point!

IMO, BG will find the WNBA liberating. No longer will she have 2 or 3 undersized players elbowing her in the mid section. Plus, she will be able to push back in the WNBA, which she truly was never at liberty to do in college after the punch. The play will be physical but it will be one-on-one for the most part, so she will no longer have the issue of not being able to move. For all of those who think that BG will get pushed around, just think how much SHE will get to push and establish position. BG did not get to do that in college because she knew that she would get into foul trouble and could not afford to do that. I am not sure how many players you think are going to be able to push BG off the block, but they will be few and far between.

And best of all, she will have DT to show her the ropes and let her know when it's time to give it back as good as she gets it. One year with DT will be worth 3 years of learning the ropes on her own or with any other player.

A lot has been made about DT being the best player ever, which I cannot argue, because she makes those around her better. Just think how much better she will make BG!!

You must have been watching a different Griner. She constantly flailed her arms out to get position and put her forearms and elbows on anyone who crowded her. She was protected after the sucker punch by the refs, did you not see the 2 takedowns of Dolson by Griner, do that to a WNBA chick and she is going to find out what being the reciepient of a sucker punch is like, but I guess that will be ok as long as the sucker puncher learns from the incident and moves on.

Reaction Score
Laimbeer and Mahorn the Detroit bad boys, pushed, shoved pulled on your shorts, used every dirty trick in the books to win, and created new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom