Griner 2012 vs 2011 | The Boneyard

Griner 2012 vs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
During the MD game the announcers made a couple of comments about the great year Griner is having. I know it's early yet, but her RB/Block numbers are way off from last year.

PPG 2012 - 21.0
PPG 2011 - 23.2
RPG 2012 - 6.0 (unranked in the NCAA)
RPG 2011 - 9.5 (ranked 37th)
BPG 2012 - 2.14 (ranked 40th)
BPG 2011 - 5.15 (ranked 1st)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I don't think teams try to challenge her as much, so her shot blocking opportunities are down.

No idea what the rebounding issues are. Other players making up for it?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The 2011 stats are based on 32.7 mins/game while the 2012 stats (7 games) are based on 23.6 mins/game. Assuming the same number of minutes as last year and at this year's current pace she'll average about 8 rebs/game. Still below last year and surprising given her emphasis on rebounding this year.

She averaged slightly more than 5 blocks per game last year and is down to 2 blocks/game this year. Part of it is minutes played, but part of it is something else. Now that she's a senior have opposing teams finally realized that Griner blocks a lot of shots and there's no percentage in challenging her? Maybe.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
IIRC, Rebecca commented during one Baylor game that--in her opinion--Griner is much improved this year. Better skillset, etc. She didn't cite any stats, just opined from watching her play.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Maybe the Baylor defense as a whole has gotten better, they aren't letting as many players get into the paint? I don't know, I haven't seen them play yet.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
IIRC, Rebecca commented during one Baylor game that--in her opinion--Griner is much improved this year. Better skillset, etc. She didn't cite any stats, just opined from watching her play.

And I heard the same thing a couple of times during the MD game that's why I looked at her numbers.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Comparing last year's stats to this year's stats is a bit silly considering that BG has played a relatively low number of minutes due to the number of blowouts. Does anyone truly think that her talents have diminished since last year or that she will finish the year with these type of stats? Once conference play begins her stats will balloon to resemble last year's stats.

I said in another thread that I thought this would be her lowest block total of any year in her career. So many teams do not challenger her at all.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Griner has always stunk as a rebounder, too. I'm not sure why that never gets discussed.

Did Charles stink as a rebounder? Compare her stats to Griner's. To say that Griner has stunk as a rebounder is the equivalent to saying Charles stank as a rebounder as their stats are VERY similar for each of their first three years.

Reaction Score
Did Charles stink as a rebounder? Compare her stats to Griner's. To say that Griner has stunk as a rebounder is the equivalent to saying Charles stank as a rebounder as their stats are VERY similar for each of their first three years.
Wrong.

Charles: 9.0 rpg, 25.5 mpg, 10.6 rpg per 30 minutes
Griner (3 seasons): 8.6 rpg, 32.7 mpg, 7.9 rpg per 30 minutes

Not even close.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
When you block five shots per game, those are five rebounds someone else is getting. To say she stinks as a rebounder seems to be based on statistics and not actual game watching. Also, the "she is so tall she should get more rebounds" argument ignores what she does defensively on the court. Teams have to design complete game plans around just her.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
When you block five shots per game, those are five rebounds someone else is getting. To say she stinks as a rebounder seems to be based on statistics and not actual game watching. Also, the "she is so tall she should get more rebounds" argument ignores what she does defensively on the court. Teams have to design complete game plans around just her.

I wouldn't say she "stinks" as a rebounder by any means, but my impression is that she is pretty average at it, and that comes entirely from game watching, not statistics. Statistics only show you how many rebounds she got, not how many she could have or should have gotten, which is of course subjective. Others may have a different way of looking at it.

I would say the same thing about Stefanie Dolson vs. Maya Moore. If you compare Stef's rebound/min last year to Maya's rebound/min during her senior year, they are almost identical. But when I watched Maya in college I saw an exceptional rebounder. Stef is an "OK" rebounder to me. Others will rightly point out that Stef is more adept at blocking out so others can collect the board. Point taken. However, you could also argue that last year, with Maya gone and no long bodies at either of the forward spots, there would be more rebounding opportunities for Stef to collect. You could then take the analysis in any number of other additional ways, any/all of which could affect the statistics one way or the other.

So in the end you just watch the games and take everything together. It's true that Griner blocks shots and that someone else on her team is picking up a good % of those rejections. (Not all of them, though.) Her rebounding prowess or lack thereof is by no means the only indicator of her defensive impact. Her defensive impact is huge, more than any other player in fact. But to me she's only an average rebounder. Even with 14 rebounds tonight, which is probably a few more than what most of those 'exceptional' 6'0" tall rebounders would have gotten. Confused yet? ;)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As to Stef one thing your analysis does not account is her regular tapping out and redirecting rebounds out to others. It is something she and Kelly do particularly well. It is not a technique I see Griner use.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I wouldn't say she "stinks" as a rebounder by any means, but my impression is that she is pretty average at it, and that comes entirely from game watching, not statistics. Statistics only show you how many rebounds she got, not how many she could have or should have gotten, which is of course subjective. Others may have a different way of looking at it.

I would say the same thing about Stefanie Dolson vs. Maya Moore. If you compare Stef's rebound/min last year to Maya's rebound/min during her senior year, they are almost identical. But when I watched Maya in college I saw an exceptional rebounder. Stef is an "OK" rebounder to me. Others will rightly point out that Stef is more adept at blocking out so others can collect the board. Point taken. However, you could also argue that last year, with Maya gone and no long bodies at either of the forward spots, there would be more rebounding opportunities for Stef to collect. You could then take the analysis in any number of other additional ways, any/all of which could affect the statistics one way or the other.

So in the end you just watch the games and take everything together. It's true that Griner blocks shots and that someone else on her team is picking up a good % of those rejections. (Not all of them, though.) Her rebounding prowess or lack thereof is by no means the only indicator of her defensive impact. Her defensive impact is huge, more than any other player in fact. But to me she's only an average rebounder. Even with 14 rebounds tonight, which is probably a few more than what most of those 'exceptional' 6'0" tall rebounders would have gotten. Confused yet? ;)

This is a very accurate assessment. It's also hard to be a good offensive rebounder when you have two or three playrs surrounding you impeding your movement.

But I agree that she is an average rebounder.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I am not sure that her minutes will go up substantially during conference play. There are some 'pretty good' teams in the Big 12 but I don't regard any of them as really elite. Blow-out city will be the norm...imo.

Tenn. comes to Waco on D18....is that right? I assume that will be on national TV?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I am not sure that her minutes will go up substantially during conference play. There are some 'pretty good' teams in the Big 12 but I don't regard any of them as really elite. Blow-out city will be the norm...imo.

Tenn. comes to Waco on D18....is that right? I assume that will be on national TV?

Mulkey has a tendency to get her players in top game shape once conference play begins and leaves the players on the court longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom