OT- Greenwich Wine & Food Festival | The Boneyard

OT- Greenwich Wine & Food Festival

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Has anyone been to this event before? My fiance wants me to go with her but I can't really justify spending $150 a person on country music from local bands and some wine and food tasting.

In other words, my fiance is making me go and I'm going to have to spend the $300 total on this event and I am hoping somebody can tell me it's worth every penny.

Reaction Score
Has anyone been to this event before? My fiance wants me to go with her but I can't really justify spending $150 a person on country music from local bands and some wine and food tasting.

In other words, my fiance is making me go and I'm going to have to spend the $300 total on this event and I am hoping somebody can tell me it's worth every penny.

Did you explain to her you can get good UConn Maryland tickets at MSG for that price?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
They are never really "worth it" as you just aren't going to eat and drink $150 worth of food and wine. And that's coming from someone who was involved for many, many years in planning a couple of similar, albeit smaller, events. They are, however, awesome fundraisers and it looks like this one supports Paul Newmans charity which is pretty cool. Think of it as a donation with some good and wine in return.

Ps. Little Big Town isn't "just some local country band". They are one of the biggest country acts in the country. Not my kind of music but my friends taught me this last month when they were in Reno.

Reaction Score
Last year Groupon offered a good deal on tickets. It's a fun event. Highly recommend going.

Reaction Score

Dude you might as well get used to this stuff. Its best to go and not complain, silently taking one for the team. I can't speak on this event but with 37 years with my wife I've put up with some of the corniest rip off events one can imagine. She wants to go to stuff because a friend mentioned it or it 'sounds' like something we should do. Think of going as a deposit, holding the withdrawal until you really want to use it.

The good thing about us is that if the Mrs. doesn't want to go to 'your' event, we have no problem grabbing a bro and going without out her. Those withdrawals will worth every $300 spent. In my calculations that one deposit should get you at least 3 withdrawals (i.e. event). I've even used the withdrawals to say 'NO' to future events (much worse). She can never say I don't want to do what she wants to do . . . . . . . . that is the key! Sorry to sound strategic to you, but I learned the hard way.

Just keep her happy, no matter how much you don't want to go. Its good practice for post-aisle. Anyway basketball season is approaching so get it out the way now.

Reaction Score

Too bad it's with your girlfriend. I have been thanks to a free ticket. Tons of money honeys there drinking wine.

Reaction Score
Dude you might as well get used to this stuff. Its best to go and not complain, silently taking one for the team. I can't speak on this event but with 37 years with my wife I've put up with some of the corniest rip off events one can imagine. She wants to go to stuff because a friend mentioned it or it 'sounds' like something we should do. Think of going as a deposit, holding the withdrawal until you really want to use it.

The good thing about us is that if the Mrs. doesn't want to go to 'your' event, we have no problem grabbing a bro and going without out her. Those withdrawals will worth every $300 spent. In my calculations that one deposit should get you at least 3 withdrawals (i.e. event). I've even used the withdrawals to say 'NO' to future events (much worse). She can never say I don't want to do what she wants to do . . . . . . . . that is the key! Sorry to sound strategic to you, but I learned the hard way.

Just keep her happy, no matter how much you don't want to go. Its good practice for post-aisle. Anyway basketball season is approaching so get it out the way now.

You are totally jaded and cynical....you are very wise.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Taking your fiancé there isn't nearly as painful as taking your wife there.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Attend the event and make a deposit in the marriage bank account. Smile and pretend to have fun. It will pay dividends later.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
As you aren't yet married, remember this cliche that is a cliche because it is true: Happy Wife, Happy Life!

Only other advice I will give you - ALWAYS (and I never capitalize words for emphasis) ALWAYS refer to her as 'MY wife' and never 'THE wife'

I may have just saved you HALF in the future.

Reaction Score
I don't know. Have you thought of saying it doesn't seem worth the money and that you really don't want to go? I hate all these dishrag husbands just telling you to say "Yes, dear".

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Of course. It's the fukkin Greenwich Food and Wine Festival.

Yeah, OP, is being kinda selfish since his fiancée has to sell 80 helicopters to make her nut.

Reaction Score
Be sure to insist on a receipt so you can charitable expense it from taxes. Best - 2 receipts for $150 so you can dodge the letter of explanation of event necessary for gifts > $250

Reaction Score
300 bucks is quiet expensive but it is Greenwhich. Unless you really like the music or there is a certain celebrity you really want to see its probably not worth the money. I think i'd perfer to go to a fancy restaurant personally. I'd probably suggest that to my wife, hey we could do this restaurant instead for that much money? What do you think? If she was insistent on going to the wine thing I'd submit and suck it up. That seems steep though. We have one down in Richmond every year that isn't nearly as expensive. I think they even have a non drinking pass you can buy for like 10 bucks (which we usually buy to go in and buy wine from places that are far away and avoid the shipping charges). This thing you are going to seems like an event though. I picture it sucking pretty bad personally, but to each his own. If it makes your girl happy, its probably worth doing.

Note: if you are earning "credits" for taking her to this event, redeem them asap. Earn credits from the S/O start depreciating extremely steeply the minute after they are earned. Its like driving a brand new car off the lot. Cash in any earn credits that same day of risk complete loss of credit, or extreme depreciation of credit value.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just checked the website.

I'd suggest that you buck up for the Saturday VIP tickets and get your ass in the Big Easy Dinner.

The Funky Meters ain't country by a long shot and I'll bet that's the best food of the fest. Plus premium booze all day and prime seating.

Eat and drink your faces off, then dance your asses off to some great New Orleans funk.

Modern country ain't my thing so I'd hightail it out of there before Little Big Town even starts, but I'd keep my eye out for who the opener is (TBA as of now).

Reaction Score
You are totally jaded and cynical....you are very wise.
I should have mentioned that the key is never act like you are enjoying it (even if you are). Its a balancing act, however it must always appear to be a sacrifice. If not then she will insist on doing this kind of sheit forever, always reminding you of how much you enjoyed it.

My canned response if asked if I enjoyed it, is always "It was alright, its really not my thing, but your enjoyment was nice to see". Then I place that deposit in the Husband Bank.

Reaction Score
"my fiance is making me go"
"Just keep her happy, no matter how much you don't want to go."
"Happy Wife, Happy Life!"
"I picture it sucking pretty bad personally, but to each his own. If it makes your girl happy, its probably worth doing."

The pussification of America.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I get your point and understand where you're coming from, but I see it differently than the two extremes you've presented.

First rule for me is pick your battles. If I really didn't want to go and thought it would suck and be a waste of money, I'd probably say so. But only after making sure it was a battle I wanted to pick.

Which brings me to the next rule, i.e., when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Looking at the website, I could definitely see turning this into a great time. The crowd aside, it's a beautiful location, it's a great time of year, and that Big Easy Dinner is a sure-fire bet for the highlight of the event.

Go have a blast with your fiancée . Presumably you're young and in love. Enjoy it. Life's too long not to.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I went last year - saw Alabama play a really good show. Is it worth it? Well, probably not if you are a real bean counter, but it is a fun and somewhat unique event. There is a ton of 4 star food and drink to consume. Its kinda of like attending a blow out outdoor wedding bash. The crowd comes well dressed and thirsty. Its a good time for a couple and really good time if you can manage to bring a few more friends and take uber or the train home.

Reaction Score
"my fiance is making me go"
"Just keep her happy, no matter how much you don't want to go."
"Happy Wife, Happy Life!"
"I picture it sucking pretty bad personally, but to each his own. If it makes your girl happy, its probably worth doing."

Eh relationships are give and take. Cant just give all the time or take all the time, there has to be a balance. I may go do things i'm not crazy about with her, but she does the same for me. Its the price you pay to have a solid relationship imo.

But yea if you want to be like look woman, you get in there and you bake me a pie, might want to move to some third world country and set up an arranged marriage where the woman will do as she is told. Dont move her back to the US though because after seeing how other women live, she wont put up with your demands any longer. lol

Reaction Score
I get your point and understand where you're coming from, but I see it differently than the two extremes you've presented.

First rule for me is pick your battles. If I really didn't want to go and thought it would suck and be a waste of money, I'd probably say so. But only after making sure it was a battle I wanted to pick.

Which brings me to the next rule, i.e., when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Looking at the website, I could definitely see turning this into a great time. The crowd aside, it's a beautiful location, it's a great time of year, and that Big Easy Dinner is a sure-fire bet for the highlight of the event.

Go have a blast with your fiancée . Presumably you're young and in love. Enjoy it. Life's too long not to.

Why is it a "battle"? If you asked her to go play golf and she said she had no interest in it, is that a battle? Do you think women sit around saying "Well, I watch football with him so that I get Wife Points when I want to go to a chick flick"? Nope.

Reaction Score
But yea if you want to be like look woman, you get in there and you bake me a pie, might want to move to some third world country and set up an arranged marriage where the woman will do as she is told. Dont move her back to the US though because after seeing how other women live, she wont put up with your demands any longer. lol

I didn't say that. There hasn't been one person to come forward and say anything like "Can't you just talk to her? Let her know you feel it's really expensive and you're not that interested in it?" Why is every piece of "advice" basically saying "Unless you want to live in hell for the rest of your life, just do whatever she wants."

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Why is it a "battle"? If you asked her to go play golf and she said she had no interest in it, is that a battle? Do you think women sit around saying "Well, I watch football with him so that I get Wife Points when I want to go to a chick flick"? Nope.
"Pick your battles." It's a turn of phrase, not to be taken literally. Also known as "give and take." Perhaps "reciprocity" if you prefer Confucius's term.

Whatever the term, it's pretty essential to most successful human interactions and relationships in my experience, be it with spouses, kids, extended family, friends, co-workers, bosses or just acquaintances.

In any event, the construct you've depicted isn't one that I suggested. I have a wife and three daughters. I don't believe for a second that women process anything on the same terms that men do.

Looking at the website, I just thought this could be a cooler event than he might have expected if he did it right. Or at least that's how it appears to me. And I'm not suggesting that honesty, candor and frankness have no place if you really don't want to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom