Greatest WBB Recruiting ClassES? | The Boneyard

Greatest WBB Recruiting ClassES?

Reaction Score
First, let me say that I don't see how any recruiting class can ever top UConn's 2012 class of Stewie, Moriah and Morgan with four NCs and 1,2,3 of the draft. However, Tennessee can probably make some arguments - perhaps even justifiable. At least they can argue for number two status. UConn fans will probably argue with them about other UConn classes- so lets keep it friendly.

I hope our logical Tennessee and Notre Dame fans join in and identify their greatest class (or classes). Stanford? All too early UCLA? Ducks on Ionescu and classmates? (The latter can't reel off the accomplishments bad they were dadgum good) Others?

ADMISSION: After the smoke clears next year, I will argue that SCar's 2029 class (Boston, Cook, Beal and Amihere) will deserve consideration as one of the (not THE) greatest classes. They are on their way barring a non-final four finish next year. I didn't follow wbb recruiting much prior to A'ja Wilson's senior high school year.

@Dillon77
@amb3096
@stwainfan @TheFarmFan

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
First, let me say that I don't see how any recruiting class can ever top UConn's 2012 class of Stewie, Moriah and Morgan with four NCs and 1,2,3 of the draft. However, Tennessee can probably make some arguments - perhaps even justifiable. At least they can argue for number two status. UConn fans will probably argue with them about other UConn classes- so lets keep it friendly.

I hope our logical Tennessee and Notre Dame fans join in and identify their greatest class (or classes). Stanford? All too early UCLA? Ducks on Ionescu and classmates? (The latter can't reel off the accomplishments bad they were dadgum good) Others?

ADMISSION: After the smoke clears next year, I will argue that SCar's 2029 class (Boston, Cook, Beal and Amihere) will deserve consideration as one of the (not THE) greatest classes. They are on their way barring a non-final four finish next year. I didn't follow wbb recruiting much prior to A'ja Wilson's senior high school year.

@Dillon77
@amb3096
@stwainfan @TheFarmFan

Whoa...I've got to hit the road for (more than) a few errands, but I'll start pondering. Perhaps @Orangutan will think this one out, as well. Look....

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
1998 - Bird, Jones, Cash, Williams. Two NCs.

WNBA draft:
1. Seattle Storm: Sue Bird
2. Detroit Shock: Swin Cash
4. Washington Mystics: Asjha Jones
6. Minnesota Lynx: Tamika Williams

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I don't like to speculate, so let's revisit next summer. Right now, both the SCAR and Stanford recruiting classes of 2019 have one national championship and one final four finish. At this point I'd say SCAR is a better bet to repeat next season than Stanford is, but we'll just have to see how things play out.

And I'll note that, for example, Diana Taurasi's recruiting class got 3 rings at UConn, Bird and Cash's got 2, Candice Parker's got 2, Maya Moore and Tina Charles both got 2, and Stanford's Val Whiting and Molly Goodenbour got 2. So it seems premature to crown any class with a single ring among the best ever. My two cents.

Reaction Score
1998 - Bird, Jones, Cash, Williams. Two NCs.

WNBA draft:
1. Seattle Storm: Sue Bird
2. Detroit Shock: Swin Cash
4. Washington Mystics: Asjha Jones
6. Minnesota Lynx: Tamika Williams
That's pretty darned strong. Do you consider that class # 2 or arguably number 1? Less championships but deeper?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Just a note on the 1998 UConn class: It included Kiersten Walters ...a point guard from Colorado.
Injuries led to sporadic contributions when at UConn and I don't know whether she ever played in the pros.
A lot of bad fortune with her health for sure. I hope she is 100% now..anyone know what she is doing?

Early in her frosh year she and Sue Bird seemed to share PG time and both were effective... Sue's ACL tear put her on the sidelines in December and Kiersten's health prevented her from taking over at the position. Kiersten had a game very similar to Jen Rizzotti...imo.

When that class got to the year 2001-2002 I think UConn had the best college team ever...at that point in history.
I probably would say the same thing in 2022.

UConn 2002 versus UConn 2016...that would be THE all-time game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Just a note on the 1998 UConn class: It included Kiersten Walters ...a point guard from Colorado.
Injuries led to sporadic contributions when at UConn and I don't know whether she ever played in the pros.
A lot of bad fortune with her health for sure. I hope she is 100% now..anyone know what she is doing?

Early in her frosh year she and Sue Bird seemed to share PG time and both were effective... Sue's ACL tear put her on the sidelines in December and Kiersten's health prevented her from taking over at the position. Kiersten had a game very similar to Jen Rizzotti...imo.

When that class got to the year 2001-2002 I think UConn had the best college team ever...at that point in history.
I probably would say the same thing in 2022.

UConn 2002 versus UConn 2016...that would be THE all-time game.
I think Keirsten stepped away from the team her Sr year. Don't think she was ever able to play pro.

Looks like she's married, a couple of kids, and involved in basketball back in her native Colorado.

Reaction Score

@Dillon77
@amb3096
@stwainfan @TheFarmFan

2029 Class?? Do you know something we don't?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
IMO: 2002 team [with the 1998 class as its core] beats the 2016 team [with the 2012 class as its core].

Guard play of Sue and Dee is the difference....best backcourt ever.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
That's pretty darned strong. Do you consider that class # 2 or arguably number 1? Less championships but deeper?
#1, however 2013 is a very close second. Deeper class, IMHO. Unlucky with Bird's injury in 1999, and the 1-15 semis from DT in 2001, which if things had gone a different way, would create an entertaining dialogue vs the 2013 class.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yeah - TASSK was probably the #1 class especially if you look at professional careers as well:
Combined 14 Olympic/WC gold medals and 1 bronze to date
Combined 8 WNBA championships
and numerous other distinctions

The Breanna, Moriah, Morgan class will not compete professionally with that kind of record but no one will touch their college record.

The UNC class that imploded was certainly nice on paper headlined by Diamond

Other recruiting triumphs are mostly about a single star and a few good role players. And most successful teams are built on a progression of classes.

The other really good class I can think of at Uconn was Strother, Turner, Crockett, and Wolff. Wolff started the season at PG and played well before her injury and she never made it back to that same player, but the other three were instrumental in 2 of DTs three NCs.

On Edit:
TN class of 97 - Catchings, Randall, and Clement (were there any others in that class?) was pretty special. Clement being injured before the final in 2000 made it an easier proposition for Uconn.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
2004 Tennessee was very good, they won 2 titles and made another Final Four (without Parker) while being riddled with injuries their first 2 seasons.

2019 SC is very good too but not an all time class IMO. Boston has been amazing but Cooke has been up and down and Amihere/Beale have been more role players. I think they're similar to Tennessee's 2004 class, although I'd give Tennessee's an edge in talent/accomplishments since they have 2 titles. Another title and improved play from the non-Boston seniors and they'll be pretty comparable, or SC could slightly be ahead.

2012 UCONN takes the cake though. Stewart is a strong candidate for best collegiate player ever, Jefferson is one of the most underappreciated UCONN greats due to her lack of pro success but she was unbelievable good her last 3 years and one of the best 2 way PGs ever. Tuck was very good her last 2 seasons as well.

1998 UCONN was very good as well, though I didn't think the class thrived until the 2001-02 season. Prior to their senior year the players all were in supporting roles aside from Bird and didn't earn major honors until their senior year. Ralph/Abrosimova were the major standouts from 99-01 (less so Ralph in 2001 though).

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Yeah - TASSK was probably the #1 class especially if you look at professional careers as well:
Combined 14 Olympic/WC gold medals and 1 bronze to date
Combined 8 WNBA championships
and numerous other distinctions

The Breanna, Moriah, Morgan class will not compete professionally with that kind of record but no one will touch their college record.

The UNC class that imploded was certainly nice on paper headlined by Diamond

Other recruiting triumphs are mostly about a single star and a few good role players. And most successful teams are built on a progression of classes.

The other really good class I can think of at Uconn was Strother, Turner, Crockett, and Wolff. Wolff started the season at PG and played well before her injury and she never made it back to that same player, but the other three were instrumental in 2 of DTs three NCs.

On Edit:
TN class of 97 - Catchings, Randall, and Clement (were there any others in that class?) was pretty special. Clement being injured before the final in 2000 made it an easier proposition for Uconn.

Tennessee 97 had Teresa "Tree" Geter who was a heck of a shot blocker and contributor in 98/99 before transferring her last two years.

Randall/Catchings made a heck of a pair their first 3 years, but Randall declined as a senior and Catchings tore her ACL mid-season which contributed to an early NCAA exit. Clement also didn't pan out quite as expected, as she was a great role player off the bench her first 2 years and struggled in a more prominent role her junior year. I wish for her she could've played in the 2000 title game but it wouldn't have made much of a difference. UCONN was clearly the better team that night and wasn't losing even if Tennessee brought its A game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
TN has had a few other on paper great classes since that 2004 class but they never gelled into great teams. Pat's decline and then Holly did no favors.

And that 2004 class really benefited from the JC transfer Bobbitt if I remember right - wasn't until she got there that the offense finally clicked. Since she was a 2004 recruit I guess maybe she counts even though she started in JC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom