OT: Greatest play in school history | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Greatest play in school history

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Wow another hot take on this dreary Monday.

Reaction Score
I still think it's this:

Kansas had lost earlier in the day, and Georgetown were about to be No. 1. It was early January, and while the team had been better than anyone expected, nobody really knew it was the Dream Season yet.

We'd started getting the better of the likes of St. John's, BC, Providence and even Villanova and Syracuse in previous seasons. Not always winning or anything, but sometimes winning and always in the game.

Not Georgetown, though. They were the Big Bad.

So it's mid-January, and they're about to be No. 1, and it's a damn blizzard. The whole state's snowed in, but the Civic Center was filled and we were going NUTS from the tip, and it fed the team. Jumped out to a huge lead and it looked like the thing would be over by halftime.

But nope. This was still Georgetown, and they just put their heads down and slowly bullied their way back into it. Then in the opening minutes of the second half, they finally got over the hump and took the lead. Could feel it all slipping away.

Then Nadav did THAT. Three, steal, lay-up for Smitty.

That is the loudest the Civic Center has ever been, and the loudest it ever will be. That was our biggest-ever regular-season win, and will be forever. And that sequence right there... that was it. That was a foundational piece of what UConn became, and will be again.

I watched that game at the Brickyard in Danbury. At the start I was the only person paying attention. I was telling people that tonight we beat Georgetown.

Reaction Score
lol the greatest play in uconn history is a loud run stop in the 2nd quarter against notre dame's worst team of all time? ok pal.

takes like this are why folks here don't congregate on the football board.

PLEASE LIKE MY SPORT

Reaction Score
Scotty to Tate, ND Hats off to Lloyd, Sellers v the Punk , DJ v Pitt.

Funny, I was talking with Duke lawyer literally last week and, no lie, within two minutes. the conversation went to the tussle between Laetner and Sellers.

Reaction Score
We’re pretty lucky that we have so many plays to choose from, but Kemba’s buzzer beater against Pitt feels like the clear #1. Everything about it was perfect.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
NCAA tourney buzzer beater > Conference tourney buzzer beater

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Which in turn led to the krying krzyzewski women. Is it wrong that I still have this pic on my hard drive, 3 or 4 PCs later?
cryingdukewomen.jpg

Reaction Score
I think its Kemba's play vs Pitt now, even though occurring in the BE tourney it is amalgamated into the NCAA run and championship. 2nd place then Burrell to Tate, Ray in BE tourney 3rd.

Need some love here for Burrell's leap & steal over Rodney Rogers; that play is somewhere around #10 and would be a good highlight to start off the list on Sportscenter.

The football play is 172nd just behind the last time Selvie accidentally stepped out of bounds.

Reaction Score
#1. “The Shot” (Tate) vs. Clemson
#2. Kemba BET buzzer beater vs. Pitt
#3. Ray vs. GTown
#4. Rip vs. Washington NCAA tourney
#5. Jalen Adams 70-footer vs. Cinci

Reaction Score
#1. “The Shot” (Tate) vs. Clemson
#2. Kemba BET buzzer beater vs. Pitt
#3. Ray vs. GTown
#4. Rip vs. Washington NCAA tourney
#5. Jalen Adams 70-footer vs. Cinci
Ricky's defensive stop to win the first natty has to be in top 5, I think I might have erred by not having it top 3 -it is #3 or 4 at lowest

Reaction Score
It's Ricky Moore forcing Trajan Langdon to travel with 5 seconds to go.

Reaction Score
It's Ricky Moore forcing Trajan Langdon to travel with 5 seconds to go.
Someone earlier in the thread made the distinction between great plays and great moments. The travel by the Alaskan Assassin is undoubtedly one of the greatest UConn moments ever, but I don't know if it is in the top ten greatest plays ever (in my opinion).

Reaction Score
No love for Dom Perno stealing the ball from Bill Bradley?

Probably the first play by a Husky to gather national note. Vaulted UConn into the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The OP post does have some validity. Maybe not the greatest play ever bit that was a huge game for us coming off Jazz Howard's death.

I'd stick this one from the Papajohn's Bowl against South Carolina up there as well.

A lot more MBB moments to choose from. The Shot, Kemba's ankle breaker and Ray's floater are up there too.

Reaction Score
It wasn't Tate or Rickey, but Ray's off balance shot to win the Big East Championship was pretty special too.

Reaction Score
Ricky's defensive stop to win the first natty has to be in top 5, I think I might have erred by not having it top 3 -it is #3 or 4 at lowest
Maybe not top 5 best plays but I would agree with others that it’s top 5 most meaningful moments in UConn history. However, it’s not a play that I could find myself wanting to watch over and over again like the others. Of course all of this is subjective but I can appreciate your view.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom