OT: Greatest play in school history | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Greatest play in school history

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
FB: DJ in 2OT vs Pitt.
I agree 100%. I tell people all the time that this was the single best game I have ever attended - any sport. And I've been to hundreds of games in every sport, including NCAA tournaments, BE tournaments, NHL Playoffs, golf majors, and even a Super Bowl. We were down 21, in the rain, and DJ ran it in to win it and tossed the ball out of The Rent.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Scott to Tate to the bucket announced to the rest of the basketball world that we'd arrived. But we lost in the next round, so in my mind, it loses a touch of its luster.
Ricky stopping Langdon earns points because NCAA Chip on the line, and it was against Duke.
Not sure whether Kemba's ankle breaker step back against Pitt ranks in close proximity to those two or not. but probably does, as it was the key moment in 11 in a row, which has to be the greatest overall accomplishment in UConn sports history.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The strip of reddick in 04 has to be up there.

Reaction Score
Kind of a random post. Those were the glory days of UConn football. That turned out better for ND in the end got Charlie Weiss fired and hired Brian Kelly. ND fans even openly rooted against ND to get Weiss fired. Nonetheless that was a great day for UConn football most impressive win was the bowl game against South Carolina though.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Sellers pushing laettners head into the floor stands out for me
.animated_1606777636233_170936175249270.gif

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I still think it's this:

Kansas had lost earlier in the day, and Georgetown were about to be No. 1. It was early January, and while the team had been better than anyone expected, nobody really knew it was the Dream Season yet.

We'd started getting the better of the likes of St. John's, BC, Providence and even Villanova and Syracuse in previous seasons. Not always winning or anything, but sometimes winning and always in the game.

Not Georgetown, though. They were the Big Bad.

So it's mid-January, and they're about to be No. 1, and it's a damn blizzard. The whole state's snowed in, but the Civic Center was filled and we were going NUTS from the tip, and it fed the team. Jumped out to a huge lead and it looked like the thing would be over by halftime.

But nope. This was still Georgetown, and they just put their heads down and slowly bullied their way back into it. Then in the opening minutes of the second half, they finally got over the hump and took the lead. Could feel it all slipping away.

Then Nadav did THAT. Three, steal, lay-up for Smitty.

That is the loudest the Civic Center has ever been, and the loudest it ever will be. That was our biggest-ever regular-season win, and will be forever. And that sequence right there... that was it. That was a foundational piece of what UConn became, and will be again.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I still think it's this:

Kansas had lost earlier in the day, and Georgetown were about to be No. 1. It was early January, and while the team had been better than anyone expected, nobody really knew it was the Dream Season yet.

We'd started getting the better of the likes of St. John's, BC, Providence and even Villanova and Syracuse in previous seasons. Not always winning or anything, but sometimes winning and always in the game.

Not Georgetown, though. They were the Big Bad.

So it's mid-January, and they're about to be No. 1, and it's a damn blizzard. The whole state's snowed in, but the Civic Center was filled and we were going NUTS from the tip, and it fed the team. Jumped out to a huge lead and it looked like the thing would be over by halftime.

But nope. This was still Georgetown, and they just put their heads down and slowly bullied their way back into it. Then in the opening minutes of the second half, they finally got over the hump and took the lead. Could feel it all slipping away.

Then Nadav did THAT. Three, steal, lay-up for Smitty.

That is the loudest the Civic Center has ever been, and the loudest it ever will be. That was our biggest-ever regular-season win, and will be forever. And that sequence right there... that was it. That was a foundational piece of what UConn became, and will be again.

was there, and remeber it like it was yesterday. that season was as exciting as any of the championship years imho

Reaction Score
Even so, comparing this to Scott Burrell to Tate George for "The Shot" is like comparing Cars 2 to The Godafther 2. This doesn't make the top 1000 plays most likely.
Yeah but if they ever make a Wall-E 2 that would probably rank up there for me.

Reaction Score
The Mount Rushmore of plays in UConn history is, Tate with the shot, Ray in the 96 Big East Championship, Rip vs Washington in 98, and obviously Kemba vs Pitt in 2011. Now, I believe there is a difference between individual plays, and moments. Without question all four of those plays were also great moments, but I think those four plays are far and away the most memorable in UConn basketball history.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
LMAOOOOO

A second quarter goal line stand? The biggest play in school history? You besmirch UConn with that claim, son

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
was there, and remeber it like it was yesterday. that season was as exciting as any of the championship years imho
Ditto...Gtown and Cuse games were nuts. Opening night at Gampel was loud also. Was in middle school at the time, had my face painted up and got in with my brother's student ID so I was able to sit in the student section. Smitty hit a last second three before the half and the place exploded. Such a great season.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Most heart breaking play was Tate trying to control the ball from rolling out of bounds. Then Laetner hits the shot.
Inches away from Victory. Then Chris Smith's 3 to put that game into overtime would be on everyone's list.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Most heart breaking play was Tate trying to control the ball from rolling out of bounds. Then Laetner hits the shot.
Inches away from Victory. Then Chris Smith's 3 to put that game into overtime would be on everyone's list.
Tate v Clemson and the Laetner shot...clasic "live by the sword...." college basketball is my favorite sport
ever

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Tate v Clemson and the Laetner shot...clasic "live by the sword...." college basketball is the best ever

I do think people forget Chris' shot. Put us in OT.

Reaction Score
The Mount Rushmore of plays in UConn history is, Tate with the shot, Ray in the 96 Big East Championship, Rip vs Washington in 98, and obviously Kemba vs Pitt in 2011. Now, I believe there is a difference between individual plays, and moments. Without question all four of those plays were also great moments, but I think those four plays are far and away the most memorable in UConn basketball history.

Of all the plays, Rip vs Washington was the one that got the loudest single reaction from me while watching.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Of all the plays, Rip vs Washington was the one that got the loudest single reaction from me while watching.
That was pretty crazy. A buddy and I were spending the weekend in Manhattan with our wives (girlfriends at the time), they went shopping (or something) and we settled in a bar to watch that game. We ended up next to 2 very cute women in full U W gear, and bought each other drinks through the game. Had a blast - fun to watch a game with opposing fans. And no, no marriages were threatened in watching the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom