Greatest Backcourt Ever | The Boneyard

Greatest Backcourt Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This article is from Aug. 5. I didn't see it and I didn't see it here. It's the best I've seen in a long, long time. A great read, though it will make Sue's injury all the more bitter for us fans of the greats.

"There will come a day, years down the line, when another backcourt comes along, perhaps from the same college program, and takes on the world of professional women’s basketball. Together, they’ll set goals to be like the all time greats in the men’s game—like West and Goodrich, Thompson and Curry. But the standard will have already been set for guards in the women’s game on a court in Connecticut years before them, the bar already raised to insurmountable heights.

They’ll aspire to be like Bird and Taurasi."

A sweeping, great read.

Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi: gold standard for basketball backcourts - Excelle Sports

Another little gem from a bag full of gems:

"Auriemma is the most accomplished coach in college basketball history, and when he’s in the huddle, Bird and Taurasi are locked in to his every word, determined to implement the system he plays. But after years spent chasing gold medals all over the world, this is their team.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Pokey Chatman is rather clear on her opinion.

I hope Sue is able to play. If so, we get to see her and Dee together two more times. Let's enjoy!

Both will be in Springfield in due time. They belong together there too.

Reaction Score
"Auriemma is the most accomplished coach in college basketball history, and when he’s in the huddle, Bird and Taurasi are locked in to his every word, determined to implement the system he plays.
Not what Geno himself says: affectionately calls them passive-aggressive, pretending to listen and then doing what they want. During a huddle in the last game, I saw Dee looking away, bored beyond words. But what the hey, makes for good copy. Fact is Dee and Sue don't need to listen to Geno, because by now, they mind-meld with him, anticipating every word.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Not what Geno himself says: affectionately calls them passive-aggressive, pretending to listen and then doing what they want. During a huddle in the last game, I saw Dee looking away, bored beyond words. But what the hey, makes for good copy. Fact is Dee and Sue don't need to listen to Geno, because by now, they mind-meld with him, anticipating every word.
\
He was quoted the other day as saying they do not listen to him, though they may pretend to do so. The truth lies somewhere in the middle - in the cooperation of 3 consummate professionals who trust each other without reservation. Witnesseth:

"He stands near the half court line and the game might as well be a constant conversation with Bird; she calls most of the offense, looking over her shoulder every now and then to see if it’s the play he wants. She’s not afraid to run the offense she knows, intuitively, will work, and he gives her the flexibility to do. He calls out a play to her during the game; Bird surveys the floor and shakes her head, and instead runs something else that results in a quick three pointer for Maya Moore. Later on in the second half, when USA has built a comfortable lead thanks to Taurasi’s 15 points in less than five minutes of play in the third quarter, he shouts a play to Taurasi. The instructions are lost on her as she bolts up the floor and fires a pass to Elena Delle Donne under the hoop, who immediately lays it in. As Taurasi runs past Auriemma on her way to play defense, she jokingly shouts the play Auriemma originally called back to him, raising her eyebrows in amusement. He smirks and shakes his head, heading back to the bench."

Reaction Score
I'd like to see a full lenght, feature motion picture about the greatest guard tandem of ALL TIME.......................with Sue , D and Geno playing themselves.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see a full lenght, feature motion picture about the greatest guard tandem of ALL TIME........with Sue , D and Geno playing themselves.
Who will play Frazier and Monroe? :)

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
You guys have got to stop doing this ... of course, I couldn't resist watching the game and now it's 3;30 in the morning. I have no willpower.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
You guys have got to stop doing this ... of course, I couldn't resist watching the game and now it's 3;30 in the morning. I have no willpower.
where is the Game Thread and Score Prediction thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS