Greater Boston One Night Stays | The Boneyard

Greater Boston One Night Stays

Reaction Score
Hey y'all, greetings from Atlanta.

My wife and I are headed for a Saturday wedding on the Cape later this month and we're staying through Monday evening (flying out of Boston).

We thought it might be night to stay somewhere cute/neat that Sunday night after the wedding (somewhere off the Cape).

I thought of Salem. Any other thoughts?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
It might be worth looking at Newport RI. We have friends on the north shore who stayed at a shoreline resort in Gloucester and enjoyed themselves. Personally I’d prefer Newport as it has more of a city life to it but is still quaint.

Reaction Score
I would suggest Boston itself as there is a lot do do and see (North End, Fenway, Aquarium, Gardener Museum, just walking, etc.), though hotel prices can be outrageous. Plus, you can get rid of the rental car and just take the T or a cab to the airport. If your looking to avoid Boston and it's prices, I would suggest Providence. It has a good food scene and is walkable, especially between Federal Hill, downtown, and Brown. Newport is nice; but, the activity level there is winding-down as everyone heads back to work after the summer. If all you want is a quaint B&B, Plymouth MA is right between the Cape and Boston and has some places to eat along with the Pilgrim Plantation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would suggest Boston itself as there is a lot do do and see (North End, Fenway, Aquarium, Gardener Museum, just walking, etc.), though hotel prices can be outrageous. Plus, you can get rid of the rental car and just take the T or a cab to the airport. If your looking to avoid Boston and it's prices, I would suggest Providence. It has a good food scene and is walkable, especially between Federal Hill, downtown, and Brown. Newport is nice; but, the activity level there is winding-down as everyone head back to work after the summer. If all you want is a quaint B&B, Plymouth MA is right between the Cape and Boston and has some places to eat along with the Pilgrim Plantation.

Right, there’s a chance we’ll end up just staying in Boston, but we’ve “done” Boston many a time, so I think we were just looking for something a little different.

Plymouth is not a bad idea.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Right, there’s a chance we’ll end up just staying in Boston, but we’ve “done” Boston many a time, so I think we were just looking for something a little different.

Plymouth is not a bad idea.
How recently have you stayed in Boston? Have you been to the Seaport district in the past few years? If you haven't been and like seafood and beer, I'd stay in that area. Hit up a joint like the Barking Crab, Trillium at Fort Point (you could also dine on their roof deck) or the Beer Garden across the street. Walk along the pier and take photos of the nighttime skyline - it's a nice view from that side of the harbor. The area has been completely transformed over the past decade.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How recently have you stayed in Boston? Have you been to the Seaport district in the past few years? If you haven't been and like seafood and beer, I'd stay in that area. Hit up a joint like the Barking Crab, Trillium at Fort Point (you could also dine on their roof deck) or the Beer Garden across the street. Walk along the pier and take photos of the nighttime skyline - it's a nice view from that side of the harbor. The area has been completely transformed over the past decade.

It pains me @Guapo as a former resident of South Boston, but this is accurate. Of course I think they wrecked the skyline view we used to have. The Seaport is just the re-branding of Southie. The "seaport" area, that's the trendy stuff, but consider some Boston things you may not have "done" : Castle Island and Dochester Heights monument.

If you are truly going for "cute", meaning also perhaps romantic, then maybe Salem would be good. Plus they will be gearing up for Halloween. Or stay in Marblehead, but visit Salem during the day. Pretty easy shot to Logan rental car return from there. That's not true from anywhere south of Boston.

Hingham downtown is nice, and I am sure there will be B&Bs there near the water. If you ditched your car you could take the ferry to Boston and water taxi to Logan.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Update: we got a hotel in Cambridge.

Looking forward to experiencing temperatures below 90

Then definitely dump your car. Don't know if you are a music fan, but maybe see who is playing at the Middle East.

Reaction Score
Then definitely dump your car. Don't know if you are a music fan, but maybe see who is playing at the Middle East.

The Middle East is still there? Good. Too many of the classic 'dive' music venues in everywhere have disappeared over the years. I'm old enough to remember going to rock shows at the Rat in college while visiting friends at BC/N'eastern/BU and I caught a quite a few shows at the Middle East when I moved to Boston after graduating UConn.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Middle East is still there? Good. Too many of the classic 'dive' music venues in everywhere have disappeared over the years. I'm old enough to remember going to rock shows at the Rat in college while visiting friends at BC/N'eastern/BU and I caught a quite a few shows at the Middle East when I moved to Boston after graduating UConn.
Wow, Middle East is a blast from the past. Many great, hazy nights spent there; mostly to see the I-Tones. Anyone remember them? They aren't still around, are they?

I also remember chowing down on rice and beans and maybe some curry dish many nights. Dicey neighborhood, at least back then. My buddy's microbus got broken into twice while we were there.

Reaction Score
Wow, Middle East is a blast from the past. Many great, hazy nights spent there; mostly to see the I-Tones. Anyone remember them? They aren't still around, are they?

I also remember chowing down on rice and beans and maybe some curry dish many nights. Dicey neighborhood, at least back then. My buddy's microbus got broken into twice while we were there.

Central Square was definitely dicey back in the late '90's and early '00's, even the T station, though, of course, the subway shut-down at Midnight well before the show was over (usually around 1 AM). As I was just out of college and poor, I only splurged on a Cab if I had someone to take back to my pad in the South End as I usually blew my weekend entertainment budget on tickets (usually Rock and Alt Rock) and booze and thus would often walk the hour back solo via the Mass Ave Bridge. The stretch from Central Square to MIT was adventurous, though I never got jumped, it often crossed my mind. All in all, I liked the Rat better, though it was a hot mess.

I also heard not long ago that Sunset in Allston closed in the last few years. I spent many night there working may way through one heck of a beer menu (before local and international beers became popular), chowing down baskets of chips and fries all while working on MBA projetcts with my classmates.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Central Square was definitely dicey back in the late '90's and early '00's, even the T station, though, of course, the subway shut-down at Midnight well before the show was over (usually around 1 AM). As I was just out of college and poor, I only splurged on a Cab if I had someone to take back to my pad in the South End as I usually blew my weekend entertainment budget on tickets (usually Rock and Alt Rock) and booze and thus would often walk the hour back solo via the Mass Ave Bridge. The stretch from Central Square to MIT was adventurous, though I never got jumped, it often crossed my mind. All in all, I liked the Rat better, though it was a hot mess.

I also heard not long ago that Sunset in Allston closed in the last few years. I spent many night there working may way through one heck of a beer menu (before local and international beers became popular), chowing down baskets of chips and fries all while working on MBA projetcts with my classmates.

I missed all of those places, not moving here until late 1999. Wife was at the Rat many times.
Lots of live music places closing. TT The Bears in Central Square shut down and Johnny D's in Somerville's Davis Square. I was lucky to go to one of the final shows at Johnny D's as a friend's band came back to play (Plate O' Shrimp).

I'm not sure Central Square was really "dicey" as compared to truly dangerous places. There aren't many places in greater Boston that are dangerous compared to most cities. I never worried in Southie in the early 00s, even walking from the Broadway T stop past the D Street projects at 2 AM.

Reaction Score
I missed all of those places, not moving here until late 1999. Wife was at the Rat many times.
Lots of live music places closing. TT The Bears in Central Square shut down and Johnny D's in Somerville's Davis Square. I was lucky to go to one of the final shows at Johnny D's as a friend's band came back to play (Plate O' Shrimp).

I'm not sure Central Square was really "dicey" as compared to truly dangerous places. There aren't many places in greater Boston that are dangerous compared to most cities. I never worried in Southie in the early 00s, even walking from the Broadway T stop past the D Street projects at 2 AM.

I moved out of the South End after 1 year and moved into a apartment with 2 other guys in East Arlington within walking distance of Alewife for the next 2 years. As Arlington was a dry town then (still is?), Davis Square was my haunt. Loved it. Only went to Johnny D's a few times as I had a serious girlfriend then, who happened to be in college and still underage. On my free nights, did pop a few back at the Burren a lot, which I hope is still open. Also used to go to Mike's for one of their massive calazone when I was really hungry. Trying to eat one of those today would likely send me back across the river to Mass General's cardiac care unit. LOL.

I agree on Central Square being dicey at night; but, not terrifying, especially compared to some places I used to go to in New Haven when I was in high school or volunteering to teach in the North End of Hartford when I was at UConn. The only places that shady in metro Boston is Mattapan along with some blocks in Roxbury and Dorchester near the Zoo along Blue Hill Ave in my opinion.

PS - A friend told me some really sad news the other days. Doyle's in JP is closing as the owner is selling the bar's liquor license to yet another high-end restaurant to be opened in the Seaport (believed to be another Davio's). That's a tragedy and show how the archaic hard-cap on the number of liquor licenses allowed in Boston has to go. After East Arlington, I moved to a apartment in Coolidge Corner in Brookline and then a bigger apartment in West Roxbury. We went to brunch a lot at Doyle's (not as good as Kelly's Diner in Somerville where I went to a lot when I lived in Arlington) while living in both locations and the adult soccer team I was on often crashed the place for post-game drinks. A tragedy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom