Great UConn Players' Parents | The Boneyard

Great UConn Players' Parents

Reaction Score
Year after year, we get to see what wonderful parents our young women have raised! We see the players close to 40 times a year and, every so often, we get to know the wonderful people who sent their young women to us. They say that the coaches and the program have changed not only the young women but the themselves as well. When we see the finished product off the court, I marvel at how articulate and purpose driven these young folks have become. Many of them have already become role models for service to others. To say we have been blessed seems like an understatement to me. Gabby's parents and family are but one more example of this.

One of my favorite authors is Andy Andrews. A few years ago, I sent Coach Geno two of Andy's books. One was about "perspective" affecting your attitude. The second dealt with parenting skills. Even though I knew the coach would get an A+ in both areas, I thought he might enjoy it and perhaps pass it on. Andrews asks a cogent question in the parenting book, i.e., What generation had the most positive impact on our country? Of course the easy answer is "The Greatest Generation", the group that sacrificed and bleed to save us from totalitarianism. But Andrews says you would be wrong! It was the parents of the men and women of the Greatest Generation that raised them with the values and will to struggle against great odds that were truly the greatest generation. I am ever so thankful for the wonderful parents that have entrusted their young women to their surrogate parents, Geno & the coaching staff, for four years. I think they will be very pleased with the "finished product".

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I am ever so thankful for the wonderful parents that have entrusted their young women to their surrogate parents,

Nice piece Mark, to which I heartily subscribe. But would not be a UConn board if we didn't nit pick, right? Most parents leave the ultimate choice of college or university to their child and I think that has been the experience at UConn too. Every once in a long while we are made aware of a different process, mostly because it went badly Brittany Hunter and Duke being the poster child for this.

Reaction Score
Year after year, we get to see what wonderful parents our young women have raised! We see the players close to 40 times a year and, every so often, we get to know the wonderful people who sent their young women to us. They say that the coaches and the program have changed not only the young women but the themselves as well. When we see the finished product off the court, I marvel at how articulate and purpose driven these young folks have become. Many of them have already become role models for service to others. To say we have been blessed seems like an understatement to me. Gabby's parents and family are but one more example of this.

One of my favorite authors is Andy Andrews. A few years ago, I sent Coach Geno two of Andy's books. One was about "perspective" affecting your attitude. The second dealt with parenting skills. Even though I knew the coach would get an A+ in both areas, I thought he might enjoy it and perhaps pass it on. Andrews asks a cogent question in the parenting book, i.e., What generation had the most positive impact on our country? Of course the easy answer is "The Greatest Generation", the group that sacrificed and bleed to save us from totalitarianism. But Andrews says you would be wrong! It was the parents of the men and women of the Greatest Generation that raised them with the values and will to struggle against great odds that were truly the greatest generation. I am ever so thankful for the wonderful parents that have entrusted their young women to their surrogate parents, Geno & the coaching staff, for four years. I think they will be very pleased with the "finished product".

Yes and we will never find a UConn player sticking her head into the opponents' locker room to yell: "It Sucks to be you guys!".....sick.

Reaction Score
Yes and we will never find a UConn player sticking her head into the opponents' locker room to yell: "It Sucks to be you guys!".....sick.
My goodness who did that!?

Reaction Score

And I would argue it was partly the parents but mostly the Depression created their decisiveness and the circumstances in which the Greatest Gen found themselves. The were, for the most part DRAFTED--for the duration of the WAR--that's a biggie--in Combat, they had few place to run.
Many like my brother, from a young age, dump dived, worked at anything after and before school, quit school and joined the CCC's---this more than the parents formed their dedication--all the helping to avoid starvation --worked wonders. We/they as a family were in the same boat, sink or swim as a family. The pre-war kids to me was the greatest Gen---the WAR they had to do, Should the USA lose Europe or Pacific, we are slaves ALL. Weak, Jew, mentally ill, Gay--all would die. The last necessary war.

I agree with your discussion of Uconn kids--they are great--one issued, I would believe the parents raised THEM. I got it.
Uconn kids have great parents---and they don't try to coach the coach--but I do.

Reaction Score
Nice piece Mark, to which I heartily subscribe. But would not be a UConn board if we didn't nit pick, right? Most parents leave the ultimate choice of college or university to their child and I think that has been the experience at UConn too. Every once in a long while we are made aware of a different process, mostly because it went badly Brittany Hunter and Duke being the poster child for this.
You have to see the greatness in Brittany Hunter story: Parents Turns down Geno---Get's injured at Duke--can't get fixed--Geno takes her to Uconn--gets a partial fix--she practices and plays when she feels up to it. COMPASSION--great kid--Superbly CARING program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom