GREAT TIME TO BE A UCONN FAN | The Boneyard

GREAT TIME TO BE A UCONN FAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What a great time to be a UCONN basketball fan. We are coming off 4 consecutive National Championships. And now, during a year when expectations have been lowered, we are fielding a wonderful team comprised of dynamic, competitive, and special young women who we view as part off our extended families.

And then two more gifts, named Azura and Batouly, appear out of nowhere. But the gifts don't stop. A young woman named Megan decides she wants to join the party along with several other talented young players. In the meantime, a young freshman emerges as a new superstar and energizes all those around her.

And our great Alchemist, Geno Auriemma, seems in a great space. He seems more relaxed than ever. He's smiling more and yet he's not lost that competitive fire. Just watch him in a huddle. And all indications are that he will be coaching for a very long time.

And today I stayed glued to the Twitter account of a young woman named Charli who gave me the answer that I wanted to hear.

An embarrassment of riches? Not for me. I'm just enjoying being a UCONN basketball fan.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
What a great time to be a UCONN basketball fan. We are coming off 4 consecutive National Championships. And now, during a year when expectations have been lowered, we are fielding a wonderful team comprised of dynamic, competitive, and special young women who we view as part off our extended families.

And then two more gifts, named Azura and Batouly, appear out of nowhere. But the gifts don't stop. A young woman named Megan decides she wants to join the party along with several other talented young players. In the meantime, a young freshman emerges as a new superstar and energizes all those around her.

And our great Alchemist, Geno Auriemma, seems in a great space. He seems more relaxed than ever. He's smiling more and yet he's not lost that competitive fire. Just watch him in a huddle. And all indications are that he will be coaching for a very long time.

And today I stayed glued to the Twitter account of a young woman named Charli who gave me the answer that I wanted to hear.

An embarrassment of riches? Not for me. I'm just enjoying being a UCONN basketball fan.
D-man, if that's you with Geno my fingertips are starting to turn green.

Reaction Score

Well said- that's exactly how I've been thinking... how fortunate we are as fans!!!

Reaction Score

Alchemist!!!
I like the way you think---great team, great coach, great recruits--is this WBB heaven or what???

Reaction Score
Clearly we are not at the end of an era. Reports of our demise are greatly exagerated. Welcome Charli and go Huskies!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Well, it is a great time to be a UCONN Women's Basketball fan, at least. Other major sports, maybe not so much.

Reaction Score
What is really exciting to me, a (barely hanging on) sexagenarian, is that this must really charge Geno's 60-some year old batteries. Not only has he got the building blocks for the next 4-5 years in place, but he's now recruiting in Texas, opening up amazing new possibilities. Geno did the really hard work this summer, by coaching the Olympic Team, which, on top of 4 straight NCs, made the world of high school WBB acknowledge once again that he offers, by far and indisputably, the tough love approach to maximizing chances of having a WNBA career and a subsequent career in professional sports. You could read that between the lines of Megan Walker's announcement--that she was obviously dazzled by ND and TX's recruitments, but that would have been somewhat a lifestyle choice for the next 4 years. Because even as he's approaching Social Security age, Geno demonstrably runs the best program and maximizes your chances of future success.

Behind all the banners and the great facilities at Werth and the amazing traditions, the current success in recruiting is due to a guy who could easily rest on his amazing laurels or could refuse to change his successful past coaching philosophies, but instead gets up every day with the same determination and imagination he had 40 years ago, determined to win.

Reaction Score
What is really exciting to me, a (barely hanging on) sexagenarian, is that this must really charge Geno's 60-some year old batteries. Not only has he got the building blocks for the next 4-5 years in place, but he's now recruiting in Texas, opening up amazing new possibilities. Geno did the really hard work this summer, by coaching the Olympic Team, which, on top of 4 straight NCs, made the world of high school WBB acknowledge once again that he offers, by far and indisputably, the tough love approach to maximizing chances of having a WNBA career and a subsequent career in professional sports. You could read that between the lines of Megan Walker's announcement--that she was obviously dazzled by ND and TX's recruitments, but that would have been somewhat a lifestyle choice for the next 4 years. Because even as he's approaching Social Security age, Geno demonstrably runs the best program and maximizes your chances of future success.

Behind all the banners and the great facilities at Werth and the amazing traditions, the current success in recruiting is due to a guy who could easily rest on his amazing laurels or could refuse to change his successful past coaching philosophies, but instead gets up every day with the same determination and imagination he had 40 years ago, determined to win.
Great points Bags. Geno demands the "impossible" from his players but he expects and delivers the same from himself. Sure, maybe he delegates a little more now, but he is a tireless worker. We don't see half of what goes on behind the scenes (did any of us know that he was setting goals for Charli Collier for each of her games?) especially on the recruiting front. Geno still has the fire and the passion..

Reaction Score

Geno communicating with Charli Collier, answering her questions as to how he could help her improve an already healthy skill set. Nothing gaudy, "you want to get better? Here's some stuff we could try." See you next summer."

Reaction Score
Actually it started in 1988 when he had a girl named Kerry Bascom. He did a show with CD, Shea and Marrissa with an audience and was asked Who would he want to take the last shot? The audience answered Taurasi. Then he said Bascom was right there with Dee. It started with Uconns First All American Kerry Bascom!

Reaction Score

Gotcha, bags. Now, along with recruits calculating what Geno can do for them (especially for those with WNBA dreams), should potential UConn players also calculate how long Coach will be on the sidelines? Do you think that Megan or Charli might have asked the Sultan of Storrs if he'll be around for their 4 years? Geno is the main magnet attracting the best players in the country. Will he continue into his seventies? He's clearly energized this season with the mountain he seeks to climb, and he can relax for the next few years no matter what happens now. Could a relaxed Coach hang around for, say, a decade? Or would the current success tend to bore him? Count our chickens but keep the rooster in mind.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It actually started in 1985 when he informed Uconn he had hired Chris Dailey and then phoned New Jersey to inform Chris she had to move because she had just accepted a new job. :)

JordyG

Reaction Score
Also off loading over the years such strenuous things as running the practices, which are run by CD, Shea and Marisa, he's increased his sideline years. Having them do much of the legwork on recruits has as well. As I've mentioned before, one of the things that force coaches into retirement are the nagging physical things such as bad backs, bad knees etc. Geno, keep your weight down and get some exercise.

Reaction Score
Also off loading over the years such strenuous things as running the practices, which are run by CD, Shea and Marisa, he's increased his sideline years. Having them do much of the legwork on recruits has as well. As I've mentioned before, one of the things that force coaches into retirement are the nagging physical things such as bad backs, bad knees etc. Geno, keep your weight down and get some exercise.
I am a few months older than Geno, Jordy that cut to the bone!

JordyG

Reaction Score
I am a few months older than Geno, Jordy that cut to the bone!
Hopefully the cut was small and the recovery brief. Just stick to your rehab schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom