Great BE Thursday Night preview: BYU v Boise | The Boneyard

Great BE Thursday Night preview: BYU v Boise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Boise has an executed contract to play BYU for the next 12 years. Tomorrow is the first.

Dave Southorn covers Boise State football for Idaho Press-Tribune. Southorn five questions :
1. What has led to Boise State's amazing success over the last decade? What makes Chris Peterson such a great football coach?
It certainly has been a combination of a few things, but most namely support from the school, strong recruiting and continuity in the coaching staff. Chris Petersen has been here since 2001, so the offensive scheme has been the same, and he’s been able to keep his staff fairly consistent. Petersen is simply a great leader. He listens to his players, is relentless in learning all he can about his opponents and from other teams, and he knows how to adjust based on his personnel and where football is heading. All that, and he simply enjoys being in Boise, which means there is often little fear in the program he’ll bolt to somewhere “bigger.”
2. BYU and Boise State struck an amazing 12-year agreement to play each other in football. How do fans, players and coaches feel about a budding rivalry with BYU? The fans are very excited about Thursday’s game. Not only is it because a good opponent is coming into Bronco Stadium (sometimes a rarity), but it’s a team that has a pretty good following here with the sizeable LDS population in the Treasure Valley. The players get pretty excited about rivalry games — and especially with Idaho, Nevada and Fresno State off the schedule in the future — BYU is a great candidate for a rival. Coach Petersen has been less keen on it, but mainly because he’d prefer to have slightly less challenging nonconference games.
3. Boise State lost a lot of talent to the NFL draft following last season. How is it addressing those losses — particularly the losses of Doug Martin and Kellen Moore? That’s been the biggest overarching question mark on the team is how they’ll replace so much talent (six draft picks, plus Moore and their top receiver). They have a very capable team back this year.
4. Boise State has gone 75-3 at home since 2000. What makes Boise State such a difficult venue for opposing teams? For a stadium of its size (about 35,000), it gets pretty loud, for starters. It’s also by far the biggest game in town, so people really bring their A games each Saturday, or Thursday, or whatever day. Does the blue turf have an effect? A little, but it’s more of an intimidation factor. Boise State has to play on green fields away from home, something they’re not used to, but they still win.

5. Who are the primary playmakers on offense and on defense? What are Boise State's positions of strength this season? Harper is the type of guy who breaks tackles and takes great angles, making tacklers miss. When he gets room, he is a big-play threat. Matt Miller, a sophomore receiver, had 62 catches and scored nine TDs last season. He is a very consistent receiver with great hands who has made a lot of clutch grabs and is the top receiver thus far in 2012. The receiving corps is solid, with Miller, Kirby Moore (Kellen’s brother, who Petersen thinks is poised for a big year), seniors Mitch Burroughs and Chris Potter, along with speedy true freshman Shane Williams-Rhodes. The defensive backfield is experienced, with all-conference caliber corners in seniors Jamar Taylor and Jerrell Gavins. Gavins had three INTs in three games last season before he tore his ACL. A fresh face this year, sophomore defensive end Demarcus Lawrence, has already made a big impact. He’s leading the team in tackles and sacks (16 and 2.5), and was a big pickup, turning down Clemson, South Carolina and Tennessee after he had 10 sacks last season in junior college.

Reaction Score
This should be a great game. It could be a preview of future NBE game. If NBE is to succeed, this is kind of rivalry games NBE needs to promote.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, with the NFL making Thursday Night Football a mainstay (something I hate), nobody will be watching college football during the week anymore.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, with the NFL making Thursday Night Football a mainstay (something I hate), nobody will be watching college football during the week anymore.

I will. I'd much prefer watching college to pro games. And watching Jersey's favorite team has little appeal to me.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I will. I'd much prefer watching college to pro games. And watching Jersey's favorite team has little appeal to me.
I've always loved college football but with Fantasy Football and RedZone I've cared less about college and more about my G-Men and my fantasy team. Plus a lot of this realignment crap really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I still watch UConn but have my interest in other games has waned a lot! I for one love Thursday Night Football (NFL)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It had all the excitement and double the attendance of an ACC championship game.

I thought the game was pretty well played, actually. Take away the missed field goal, and it was good football. It's funny how when LSU-Alabama play a 6-3 game, it's listed as a "defensive clinic", but when Boise-BYU play a 7-6 game, it's listed as a "stinker." Odd...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom