OT: Great Barrington Mass. | The Boneyard

OT: Great Barrington Mass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Anyone got a recommendation for a good place for dinner, apres ski, in Great Barrington? We like a friendly, casual atmosphere, maybe with a nice fireplace, for a good burger or pasta type food. No French cuisine, no dressing up.

Reaction Score
Anyone got a recommendation for a good place for dinner, apres ski, in Great Barrington? We like a friendly, casual atmosphere, maybe with a nice fireplace, for a good burger or pasta type food. No French cuisine, no dressing up.

It's been years, but we used to go to the Williamsville Inn for dinner, and stayed over once or twice.

http://www.williamsvilleinn.com/

Reaction Score
Well Nan,
There are a number of choices in that area. First, for burgers or pasta at some place that has a fireplace you could go to The Barrington Brewery. It is your basic pub food, which is to say ok but not great. You could also go to Napa which is on Main Street in downtown Great Barrington. The food is great but the decor is a bit more stark not warm with a fireplace. There is also a wonderful (and I don't use this term lightly) pizza place just about across the street from Napa called Baba Louie's, but it just a small place with no atomsphere but terrific pizza. For the best sushi in all of the Berkshires you can go to Bizen on Railroad Street, but it isn't cheap. Also there is The Castle Street Cafe, on Castle Street, duh, and has a warm and inviting atomosphere. The regular entree items are not cheap ($20-$30) you can get burgers and pasta for a bit less. It is nice but alas no fireplace.
Have fun.
Scott

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
Ah, yes! If this were 25 years ago...you could stop by my parent's boathouse in Robinson Pond...now that was one heck of a spot for ski vacations (Catamount, Butternut and some others close by):)

Reaction Score
The Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge is always good. Nice fireplace in the waiting area outside the main dining room. The main dining area is a trifle formal but if you prefer you can dine in the cozy and less formal pub area and order from either the main dining room or pub menu. I am particularly fond of the Red Lion creme brulee but everything is excellent in my experience.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
The Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge is always good. Nice fireplace in the waiting area outside the main dining room. The main dining area is a trifle formal but if you prefer you can dine in the cozy and less formal pub area and order from either the main dining room or pub menu. I am particularly fond of the Red Lion creme brulee but everything is excellent in my experience.

I second the Red Lion Inn.

Reaction Score
Hi Nan
I did not mention the Red Lion Inn which is not in Great Barrington but rather Stockbridge. I'll admit it is only about 10 minutes away just North on Route 7. It has a very cozy feel but the food is a bit over rated and the prices not all that reasonable but it has exactly the atmosphere you asked about if that is what is really important. One other thing is that the fireplace is in the lobby and not in the dining room so you can not enjoy the fire while you eat and I find the dining room a bit sterile, but that is just me.

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
Red Lion Inn I thought might be a bit fancy and pricey - there might be a more local spot that has a fireplace - if Jug End is still there...

Reaction Score
No place in the Berkshires is dressy in ski season, that's the good news. I second the Castle Street suggestion (downtown Great Barrington, where the food is good, though, as Scott said, there's no fireplace. 20 Railroad Street (also downtown) also work, as will Barrington Brewery, which is a little farther outside of town (also as Scott said). The Pub at the Red Lion Inn would work for all categories, except it's not in Great Barrington (though it's not terribly far away).

Because I love good food, Castle Street would be my choice, but I don't drink beer, so a brewery never much appeals.

Or-- if you call my parents, I'm sure my 83 year old dad would ski with you while my mother would love to cook a mean coq au vin (and they have a fireplace)!

Reaction Score
hard to beat 20 railroad street. for the best italian in town there is fiori, also on railroad street. but it's pricey.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The fireplace isn't as important as the atmosphere. One of the best evenings we had together as a family was going to some local pub near Mt. Snow where we were crammed into the dining area with other skiiers and everyone ended up knowing the people at the tables next to them by the end of the meal. The food was decent but we loved the ski lodge feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom