Great article on Stevens & Camara | The Boneyard

Great article on Stevens & Camara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Stevens, Camara Must Sit A Year, But UConn Women's Practices Should Be Awesome

I apologize if already posted. A lot of rich material here, esp.

1. AZ says in the embedded viveo that there's not much to do in Storrs over the summer, but it's like family. Gets you thinking that maybe the relative lack of things in a small town can be a positive in team building.
2. Geno's confident that Batouly's offensive skills will develop rapidly: makes you think that he saw something others have not.
3. Geno is far more open about transfers here precisely because of their previous experience; belies our usual thinking that he always wants kids for all 4 years so that he can mold them. Here, he says he values that they have previous college experience: ""You look at what's coming out of high school and who's available … there just aren't a lot of kids like them," Auriemma said. "So all of a sudden you have an opportunity to bring two kids like that into the program … and it's actually better than recruiting two high school kids because they're already proven college players."
4. Apparently UConn approached AZ first: ""I knew kind of what I was looking for," said Stevens, who was born in Rhode Island and has family in New York. "I opened up my recruiting to certain schools and Connecticut came calling. I came up here to take a visit and that's all I needed. Here I am."
5. Although AZ implies that she's intending to play both eligible years (talks about her 4 years of playing development), let's not presume to know her mind 2 years from now....

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Apparently UConn approached AZ first: "I knew kind of what I was looking for," said Stevens, who was born in Rhode Island and has family in New York. "I opened up my recruiting to certain schools and Connecticut came calling. I came up here to take a visit and that's all I needed. Here I am..."

Bags, it could have been as you suggest. On the other hand, my take on that same verbiage is that she composed a list, notified the schools on the list, and Geno responded to her message. Nothing in her statement would disqualify that view, right?

Unless by "approached first," you mean "got there before the other schools on her list," as opposed to "approached her before she approached Geno."

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Bags, it could have been as you suggest. On the other hand, my take on that same verbiage is that she composed a list, notified the schools on the list, and Geno responded to her message. Nothing in her statement would disqualify that view, right?

Unless by "approached first," you mean "got there before the other schools on her list," as opposed to "approached her before she approached Geno."
I think this is a plausible reading too. But maybe we should consult JPM for the (delusional) facts. ;)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
A player must get a release to pursue transferring with other schools and talking to other coaches. Geno would not take things out of order.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
can others talk for the players?
That is the ambiguity. But permission to actively pursue release to transfer must go through the current coach and can be refused unless that has changed.

Reaction Score
Stevens, Camara Must Sit A Year, But UConn Women's Practices Should Be Awesome

I apologize if already posted. A lot of rich material here, esp.

1. AZ says in the embedded viveo that there's not much to do in Storrs over the summer, but it's like family. Gets you thinking that maybe the relative lack of things in a small town can be a positive in team building.
2. Geno's confident that Batouly's offensive skills will develop rapidly: makes you think that he saw something others have not.
3. Geno is far more open about transfers here precisely because of their previous experience; belies our usual thinking that he always wants kids for all 4 years so that he can mold them. Here, he says he values that they have previous college experience: ""You look at what's coming out of high school and who's available … there just aren't a lot of kids like them," Auriemma said. "So all of a sudden you have an opportunity to bring two kids like that into the program … andnotactually better than recruiting two high school kids because they're already proven college players."
4. Apparently UConn approached AZ first: ""I knew kind of what I was looking for," said Stevens, who was born in Rhode Island and has family in New York. "I opened up my recruiting to certain schools and Connecticut came calling. I came up here to take a visit and that's all I needed. Here I am."
5. Although AZ implies that she's intending to play both eligible years (talks about her 4 years of playing development), let's not presume to know her mind 2 years from now....

Well, know her mind or not I do hope she plays the full 2 years.

I also wished the rule " sitting out a year due to transfer didn't exist." But that's just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom