Great Adamec story all about Gabby… Don't call her "just an athlete"! | The Boneyard

Great Adamec story all about Gabby… Don't call her "just an athlete"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Sorry if this link is already posted in another thread somewhere, but I haven't tripped across it yet.

Williams staying grounded, playing at high level

This quote caught my eye, and not just because of Gabby's constant desire to improve: "Turnovers definitely concern me. It was really frustrating for me, because I'm trying to show that I am not just an athlete. It is one of the most annoying things to hear, 'Oh you are such a good athlete, you're such a good athlete.' I want to say, 'OK, I am also a basketball player,' at some point. So I need to play smarter."

I was instantly reminded of a different Williams who, in years past, would bristle at the suggestion that he was a great "natural hitter," which he felt ignored all the hard work and time he'd devoted to perfecting his craft.

Also, some insight and high praise from Geno: "So here she is as a junior not having had a lot of basketball experience. So her frame of reference isn't great, but she is an extremely intelligent person. She is very active mentally and very involved in what is going on in the world. She is very aware of what is happening around us socially and politically. She is a very bright individually [sic].

What she has done from her freshman year to now, it is remarkable. It really is." Great stuff!

Reaction Score
Except that Williams (Ted) was a lousy defender.

No, he was a decent defender, but that's not what drove his passion, and he made no bones regarding his feelings toward either.

Reaction Score
Gabby has been my favorite player since she was a freshman. One of the big improvements I have noticed this year is her sharp and deft passing, either getting the ball inside to a teammate or starting a break with a powerful outlet pass from under the basket. Seeing her grow her game has just been fantastic to watch.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Except that Williams (Ted) was a lousy defender.
I kinda like the way he defended the USA in both WWII and the Korean War.

upload_2016-12-11_10-26-37.png

Reaction Score
I think many of us posters are seeing the Guard Skills of Gabby slowly emerging. Her passing into the post could be the best on the team. In addition, she is dribbling more on the fast break and causing havoc with her speed. Her 15 footer is smooth, pretty and very reliable. Of course, Geno & staff had the brilliance to see Gabby as an inside threat where almost NO ONE knew what the heck he was doing. Her 3 point shot is still developing, but it's on the cusp. Let's see--she jumps center and plays tough defense on the perimeter. She skys and pulls down one hand rebounds and on the next play her quickness and anticipation on steals is attention getting.
This is a business success. What a Merger and Acquisition! As she and Geno state--- Gabby is acquiring ALL the skills of an elite basketball player and now smoothly Merges her athletic prowess into the process. What a creation.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think many of us posters are seeing the Guard Skills of Gabby slowly emerging. Her passing into the post could be the best on the team. In addition, she is dribbling more on the fast break and causing havoc with her speed. Her 15 footer is smooth, pretty and very reliable. Of course, Geno & staff had the brilliance to see Gabby as an inside threat where almost NO ONE knew what the heck he was doing. Her 3 point shot is still developing, but it's on the cusp. Let's see--she jumps center and plays tough defense on the perimeter. She skys and pulls down one hand rebounds and on the next play her quickness and anticipation on steals is attention getting.
This is a business success. What a Merger and Acquisition! As she and Geno state--- Gabby is acquiring ALL the skills of an elite basketball player and now smoothly Merges her athletic prowess into the process. What a creation.
It is a minor quibble, but I think her natural position is more 'wing' than guard - what we used to call small forward. I tend to think she will never be a great threat from three and will always make her presence felt in mid-range and slashing to the basket - something I associate less with guards. Her leaping ability and athleticism in the air are less useful at the arc, but receiving the ball at the short corner or free throw line she is a nightmare.

Reaction Score
Gabby is truly Gabulous. I don't doubt that with her court vision, I.Q. , and knowledge of the offense, she could run the point if she had to, and do it very well. There is no position on the court she cannot play. She already plays guard on defense at times. Moving Gabby around must drive opposing coaches crazy. Geno stuck by her when she was injured in high school. That loyalty has paid off big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom