Grass... which is best (not marijuana) | The Boneyard

Grass... which is best (not marijuana)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
ever redid your lawn... what's your technique, brand, the season and what are your measurements of space?

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Florida postage stamp lot...got tired of Floritam, thirsty, bug heaven, etc. Replaced it three times. Installed Zoysia and couldn't be happier. Have a service to keep my landscaping in good order, fertilization, bug and weed stuff. Water twice a week for 25 minutes at a time. Lots of compliments from the neighbors. Lawn is two years old and looks great.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Florida postage stamp lot...got tired of Floritam, thirsty, bug heaven, etc. Replaced it three times. Installed Zoysia and couldn't be happier. Have a service to keep my landscaping in good order, fertilization, bug and weed stuff. Water twice a week for 25 minutes at a time. Lots of compliments from the neighbors. Lawn is two years old and looks great.
I've thought about doing this as well, but in NJ it will die off and be a yard full of straw for 4 months a year. (Thus Mrs. 82 vetoed it.) But the lush green color, slow growth, low water needs and ability to crowd out weeds make it very tempting.

(Tagging @sledog we have an ongoing grass PM conversation. He's pretty knowledgeable and has had good luck with the premium seeds.)

Last edited:

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I've thought about doing this as well, but in NJ it will die off and be a yard full of straw for 4 months a year. (Thus Mrs. 82 vetoed it.) But the lush green color, slow growth, low water needs and ability to crowd out weeds make it very tempting.

(Tagging @sledog we have an ongoing grass PM conversation. He's pretty knowledgeable and has had good luck with the premium seeds.)

A neighbor of mine has it, Zoysia, in Wallingford CT. It's brown 6 months of the year, beautiful from late spring to early fall. I was told by the landscaper that it must be contained by a physical boundary, such as a road or sidewalk or it will eventually take over adjoining yards.

I put installed turf in my small front yard, a combination of different types of perineal grasses. The theory is if one gets diseased the others will keep the lawn looking good.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
After years of analysis in understanding root strength, how it tillers etc. my most educated guess is to get the green kind.

Reaction Score
A neighbor of mine has it, Zoysia, in Wallingford CT. It's brown 6 months of the year, beautiful from late spring to early fall. I was told by the landscaper that it must be contained by a physical boundary, such as a road or sidewalk or it will eventually take over adjoining yards.

I put installed turf in my small front yard, a combination of different types of perineal grasses. The theory is if one gets diseased the others will keep the lawn looking good.
My father put it in about 55 years ago to cover up the baseball diamond in the back yard, and it grew past the gravel driveway next door. I tried it, and it didn’t take (plugs from on line place that needed to be planted the day you received them).

Reaction Score
You are fortunate to be living in a northern climate that will allow you to grow a cool season grass such as Kentucky bluegrass or tall fescue, my preference being tall fescue because it thatches less. The downside is that it is less drought tolerant although more drought tolerant cultivars are being created. My suggestion is that you check out a local university website with an agricultural department(some may even have a golf course management curriculum) that has done localized studies of grasses in a particular area. From that study look around at local nurseries that sell premium blends of the highly rated grasses. Expect to pay in excess of $100 for a 50 pound bag. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Rebel and Scott's sold at Home Depot and Lowes. That said, if you are going to spend that kind of money on seed, then go the extra mile to topdress the soil with compost, aerate yearly, fertilize at least three times a year, water an inch a week with no more than 2 waterings and never, ever water your grass at night; Be vigilant about weeds an invasive grasses, mow regularly(do not let the grass grow too high between mowings. Every 6- 8 days should be sufficient. spring time you might want to consider going every five days) no lower than 3 inches, check the soil ph once a year and adjust accordingly. Put in the work and you will be rewarded. There will be frustrations: Weeks without rain, extended heat spells, brown rot caused by night watering and by night rains, pesky weeds and grasses.
If you are not inclined to put in the time, effort, and money, then go with ryegrass or Kentucky 31 fescue.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Depends on climate, soil, shade, etc.

If sunny, Bluegrass is beautiful.

If shady, Ryegrass.

If you want durability, Fescue may be best.

Zoysia worked pretty well in Philly. Connecticut is much cooler.

Reaction Score
I live in Phoenix. Grass doesn't occur naturally in Arizona, so it is a trick to grow it. We have more golf courses than anywhere, so obviously we've figured it out: just add water (water is something else that doesn't occur naturally in Arizona). Our grass generally stays green 12 months out of the year. This is an optical illusion - the summer perennial grass turns brown in the winter, so we overseed every winter with wintertime annual grass. The golf courses shut down for 2-3 weeks for this in December or January.

We have pools in our back yards instead of grass. They also use a lot of water, but are about the same amount of work to take care of as grass, and are more fun. I have a small amount of grass in my back yard and a small amount in my front yard. This small amount of grass requires a large amount of water. I have gradually replaced most of the back yard grass with raised-bed vegetable gardens. Vegetables also do not occur naturally here. They use a lot of water too, but at least you can eat them.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I live in Phoenix. Grass doesn't occur naturally in Arizona, so it is a trick to grow it. We have more golf courses than anywhere, so obviously we've figured it out: just add water (water is something else that doesn't occur naturally in Arizona). Our grass generally stays green 12 months out of the year. This is an optical illusion - the summer perennial grass turns brown in the winter, so we overseed every winter with wintertime annual grass. The golf courses shut down for 2-3 weeks for this in December or January.

We have pools in our back yards instead of grass. They also use a lot of water, but are about the same amount of work to take care of as grass, and are more fun. I have a small amount of grass in my back yard and a small amount in my front yard. This small amount of grass requires a large amount of water. I have gradually replaced most of the back yard grass with raised-bed vegetable gardens. Vegetables also do not occur naturally here. They use a lot of water too, but at least you can eat them.
I have just two words for you: artificial turf! ;)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yeah, I hear the Kentucky Blue Grass is good here in Connecticut but I'm hearing about Fescue from a few of you guys

is this any good?
45cbe85b-a719-4024-90bc-4e25645282ac_2.3a45eca26d6e185a137996a2ac9c98be.jpeg

Reaction Score
Yeah, I hear the Kentucky Blue Grass is good here in Connecticut but I'm hearing about Fescue from a few of you guys

is this any good?
45cbe85b-a719-4024-90bc-4e25645282ac_2.3a45eca26d6e185a137996a2ac9c98be.jpeg

Check the label on the back for the seed selections that make up this particular seed blend, then compare it against the trial results performed by the Rutgers Center For Turfgrass Science.
https://turf.rutgers.edu/research/reports/2014/69.pdf

Reaction Score
I have just two words for you: artificial turf! ;)
Just doesn’t do it for me. I really don’t care for artificial turf for football or baseball, but especially not for a yard. To me it’s like being a vegan and trying to imitate meat - like “tofurkey” for Thanksgiving. What’s the point? Just do a nice desertscape with lots of pretty cactus & plants that can live on 2” annual rainfall.

But that’s just me - artificial turf is a huge business here.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Check the label on the back for the seed selections that make up this particular seed blend, then compare it against the trial results performed by the Rutgers Center For Turfgrass Science.
https://turf.rutgers.edu/research/reports/2014/69.pdf
Geesh you need a PHD in Grassology to understand that thing.

@DaddyChoc take a look at this chart
final_zone_map_small.png

Connecticut is zone 7 so check out the types of grasses that will grow well in zone 7 on this chart.

The answer is you could plant either bluegrass or fescue. I had kentucky bluegrass when I was in Connecticut. It was dense and attractive. I now have a fescue lawn which I've come to love. I like the smaller blade grass. It is softer on bare feet and easier to mulch or bag. Take a look on line and see which it more attractive to you. Rye is about halfway between the two, FWIW.

If you are completely resodding or reseeding then just pick what you like, but if you already have established grass, I'd match it. It care will be the same and it will look consistent.

Reaction Score
ever redid your lawn... what's your technique, brand, the season and what are your measurements of space?
Depends on temperature, sun and water. Amazing how many different seeds there are. Live in Texas and have three different grass types, in large part due to areas that do not get sun (while remainder of lawn must survive in 115 degree heat and direct sun).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom