OT: Grass Seed | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Grass Seed

Reaction Score
Zoysia is my worst nightmare. What’s the point of trying to have a beautiful lawn if it’s only green 3-4 months of the year? I learned quickly after buying my house that half of my front lawn was zoysia. It looked like it was half dead til it finally came out of dormancy. And good luck getting rid of it. The roots are like prickers and run across your lawn instead of down, so it eventually overtakes everything. I was lucky where last spring all the rain we got soaked the roots so much it actually killed 90% of it, I’ve had the dead spot aerated about 4 separate times And each time they tore up the ground and it’s still very bare. The new grass seed has a really Hard time growing because of how thick the roots from the zoysia are even though the roots are dead.

Steer clear.

Reaction Score
That’s the mix I use 95% of the time unless a client request something different
In addition to the Kentucky bluegrass, rye grass, tall fescue, and fine fescue, the URI mix uses a Kentucky Bluegrass-Texas Bluegrass hybrid for drought tolerance, now that New England's climate has become much warmer and slightly drier over the past 60 years.

Reaction Score
My backyard which adjoins the neighbors has been largely taken over by the zoysia they have. It looks nice when it’s green and certainly is uniform as it chokes out everything else but it took for freaking ever to green up this year. Just like you said, gotta take all the dead stuff up for it to come in. Also it can be a pain in the ass to mow if you let it get even a little too long.
Zoysia does one thing extremely well and is the reason so many people have planted it. It chokes out crab grass like no other grass, and does not need a lot of maintenance to keep doing that. So if your lawn is overwhelmed with crab grass try zoysia, it's one alternative.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Think it's too hot, etc, to seed a small patch of dirt that hasn't taken?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've just learned of a special seed blend developed by URI called URI #2 that is supposedly formulated for the New England/Northeast.
Problem is that it's more light blue than green.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Instead of wasting water on something you can’t use for nourishment and life in general, I would use all that land to plant fruits and vegetables. Lawns are such a waste of resources imo. Some people are so lucky to have huge plots of land and they don’t utilize it the best way.

Reaction Score
Think it's too hot, etc, to seed a small patch of dirt that hasn't taken?
Need to throw some hay over it and make sure it stays watered frequently and somewhat cool. But we have some brutal 90 degree days coming up, may want to wait until rain and cooler weather in the forecast.

Reaction Score
You guys and your titles sometimes... Grass seed. My mind is in the gutter (where it normally resides). My original reaction to this thread title was, don't smoke it, then I see fescue and bluegrass... <<insert face palm emoji>>

Reaction Score
Need to throw some hay over it and make sure it stays watered frequently and somewhat cool. But we have some brutal 90 degree days coming up, may want to wait until rain and cooler weather in the forecast.
Last week of August, water heavily until it takes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom