Grantland- Favorite Basketball Players-All Time | The Boneyard

Grantland- Favorite Basketball Players-All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I call BS on all those guys picking Tark as coach.

Reaction Score
We should all try but excluding UConn players since we've done that 6000 times.

My favorites, Non UConn version:
PG- Chris Jackson
SG - Steph Curry
SF-Chris Mullen
PF-Antawn Jamison
C-Tim Duncan
Coach-Louie Carneseca
Championship Team - 85 Nova Wildcats
Cinderella Team - that Northern Iowa Team with Ali Farokhmanesh

Reaction Score
We should all try but excluding UConn players since we've done that 6000 times.

My favorites, Non UConn version:
PG- Chris Jackson
SG - Steph Curry
SF-Chris Mullen
PF-Antawn Jamison
C-Tim Duncan
Coach-Louie Carneseca
Championship Team - 85 Nova Wildcats
Cinderella Team - that Northern Iowa Team with Ali Farokhmanesh

Good list,

Chris Jackson was special and Steph.

Adam Morrison had game.

But Emeka in college was the Man, as well as Larry Johnson.

Also anyone remember Dennis Scott?

Reaction Score
Luke Walton was fun in college. That Arizona-Gonzaga second round game was one of the best games I've ever seen.

Reaction Score
Good list,

Chris Jackson was special and Steph.

Adam Morrison had game.

But Emeka in college was the Man, as well as Larry Johnson.

Also anyone remember Dennis Scott?
Definitely remember Dennis Scott, lethal 3 point shooter from anywhere. Fun duo of same era in ACC were Fire & Ice at NC State. Another guy in the ACC that I really liked bc of great all round game was Bryant Stith of UVA. Just looked him up & he's got 3 sons in college hoops including youngest son a frosh at UVA!

Morrison's legacy is unfairly tainted by the crying which seemed to precipitate the NBA failure. But in retrospect maybe JJ Reddick did deserve the Naismith over Morrison?!

Reaction Score
Katie Baker's list was the best.

For non-UConn, I definitely have LJ, Mateen Cleaves, White Chocolate, C-Webb, Tim Duncan. Tom Izzo as coach.

Reaction Score
My top five

Randolph Childress - Wake
Rodney Monroe - NC State
Walter Berry - SJU
Len Bias - Maryland
Ewing - Gtown

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The number of appearances of Stephan Curry in these picks is laughable. I mean dont get me wrong, the guy had an amazing last couple months in a Davidson jersey, but in the overall college basketball landscape he didnt do much besides carry his team to an Elite 8. If that kind of storyline impresses the writers, then Kemba should have been on every one of those lists over Curry. I think its mainly because Curry is tearing up the NBA right now and he has a very high "like-ability" factor which skews their picks.

Reaction Score
What is your list BU?
A. Have you seen Curry play? Uniquely exciting style and best heat check guy I've ever seen. His slight build and family story also helps
B. Most folks don't follow CBB & only watch the NCAA tourney so saying that's all he did doesn't matter since that's all they know.
C. Have you seen Curry play?
D. Maybe not since Jason Kidd hasnt been a ncaa coming out party that marked an emergence to superstardom like Curry's. So if you are 25-35 (most of those writers) he is going to be your guy
E. Curry is currently the best player on the NBA's best & most exciting team & these writers work for a website run by a guy who is among the biggest NBA fans out there. Would you be surprised to see Travolta & Cruise as favorite actors if you polled Scientologists ;0

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I feel like Jimmer Fredette was pretty awesome in college. Dude couldn't miss.

My list would be...

1. Curry
2. Fredette
3. Morrison
4. Harangody (Dude was a beast at ND)
5. Noah

These guys aren't necessarily my favorite guys (I used to HATE Harangody) but 1, 2, 3 would shoot the lights out, and the bigs are great glue guys with some serious game.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Was Pistol Pete in the list? I'd put in there.

Reaction Score
I didn't read the article so I'm not sure of the "rules", but my favorite non-UConn guys were:

Chris Webber - I just loved the style and flow of his game. Powerful at times, finesse at times. Fun to watch.
Ralph Sampson - A freak of nature. A guy 7'4" who could dribble and shoot? At the time, that was insane.
Pearl Washington - I loved how he controlled the tempo of the game. He was in charge at all times.
Hakeem Olajuwon - Athletic freak on a fun team.
Reggie Miller - I remember staying up late, watching the west coast feeds of him. 2 steps over half court, he let it fly.

Reaction Score
Was Pistol Pete in the list? I'd put in there.
Yes he was. So were two from that "inferior" Yankee Conference...Julius Erving and Marcus Camby. What could they be thinking:eek: Must have been old guys said that;)

No Calvin Murphy. They should have consulted Francesa on that (his stated favorite college player-a few years back).

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Luke Walton was fun in college. That Arizona-Gonzaga second round game was one of the best games I've ever seen.
That's what I remembered when someone posted our 02 game at Arizona a while back. He was a really good college basketball player.

Reaction Score
Damn I remember big dog Glenn robinson dude could score at will. Think he dropped 30 on uconn in his first college game

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Damn I remember big dog Glenn robinson dude could score at will. Think he dropped 30 on uconn in his first college game

And I remember thinking Donyell deserved POY in 94'.

Reaction Score
Favorite college ball players (non-UConn) would be...

Dwayne Washington, Mark Aguirre, Chucky Atkins, Wayman Tisdale, Charles Barkley

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I call BS on all those guys picking Tark as coach.

I can easily understand Tark. He was entertaining. What I call BS on is the guy who voted for Crean. And someone actually named a PSU hoops coach. Nobody outside of State College even knows the name of any PSU coach. And even then it's only like 5% of them.

However, the highlight of the list for me was the lone mention of Dwight Stewart. Always respect the fat guy on the court.

Disappointed not a single mention of Pittsnogle, one of the very few college players who transitioned from a proper name to a verb.

Reaction Score
I can easily understand Tark. He was entertaining. What I call BS on is the guy who voted for Crean. And someone actually named a PSU hoops coach. Nobody outside of State College even knows the name of any PSU coach. And even then it's only like 5% of them.

However, the highlight of the list for me was the lone mention of Dwight Stewart. Always respect the fat guy on the court.

Disappointed not a single mention of Pittsnogle, one of the very few college players who transitioned from a proper name to a verb.

They're all picking Tark because it's Grantland, and they're all "edgy."

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They're all picking Tark because it's Grantland, and they're all "edgy."

That was my thought. And I like Grantland.

And the thing about Pistol Pete was that he was very rarely on TV. Same with Calvin Murphy, although he played games locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom