Graham Smith article: It's Time for UConn & UMass to Make a Bold Move | The Boneyard

Graham Smith article: It's Time for UConn & UMass to Make a Bold Move

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Smith poses a new path for the Huskies, forging ahead with UMass, Delaware, Villanova, William & Mary, etc.

While it may seem far fetched, these scenarios have been circulating quite a bit. It fits what Diaco was saying about committing to the regional model.

It's worthy of a read.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
So what's your agenda? Your contribution to this board is pushing UConn to FCS.

You started another thread on this topic.... you never posted again in that thread despite multiple responses. Seems like you don't want dialog...you just want to advance your agenda.

So what's your story?

Reaction Score
No agenda other than the regional model.
Smith's idea was different from my own.
I think COVID has exposed the value of being in a conference.
Is there an opportunity within the Northeast for UConn to have a home?
Even the New Big East stretches now to Wisconsin and Nebraska.
UConn isn't in a position to travel very much in football. The television money isn't there.
Isn't something like this obvious to most people?

Reaction Score
You think no one comes to games now, schedule something like that. No to FCS or I-AA. Just take a look at what happened when you replace the Whalers with minor league hockey. You can not go down in sports only up if you want fans interest. Let's at least try the independent set up first before we throw out the baby with the bath water.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
UConn isn't in a position to travel very much in football. The television money isn't there.
No... it isn't obvious.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1. You know we have a TV deal for football right?
2. Can a mod pls change his avatar to this picture?

1601925465468.png

Reaction Score
Smith poses a new path for the Huskies, forging ahead with UMass, Delaware, Villanova, William & Mary, etc.

While it may seem far fetched, these scenarios have been circulating quite a bit. It fits what Diaco was saying about committing to the regional model.

It's worthy of a read.

Dare I say this... BUT.... it really makes sense...Seriously... The biggest obstacle, though, is getting higher end recruits in the area to buy in... the BCS conferences need to be taken off their high horses to level the playing fell just a tad.. not all the way, just a tad... We can at least keep a couple of 4 star and way more 3 star kids local instead of running to the Ohio States, Alabamas, Clemsons, Notre Dames of the world...

Reaction Score
A regional model for UConn is BC Cuse Rutgers Maryland Penn St UVA
In basketball, which has been established since the early 90s, an obvious no brainer... not with football bro.. a pipedream at best.. Maybe we can pry Rutgers away somehow (they just can't win in the B1G in football at all).. that's about it....

Reaction Score
Regionalization makes too much sense for all conferences for it to happen.

going 1-AA makes no sense - they are better off dropping football.

An all sport conference with teams including UCONN, BC, Maryland, Virginia, Temple, UMASS, And Rutgers would be awesome (and a complete pipe dream)

Reaction Score

It's worthy of a read.

That move is about as bold as locking the door at night.

Reaction Score
That league was tried before. It was variously known as the Yankee Conference then the A 10 and now the CAA. I kind of would like to see a group of those teams upgrade to 1A and form an East Coast MAC of sorts. It would give us some regional opponents rather than the Sunbelt ish teams but honestly I would prefer a schedule with Ol Miss, Indiana, Illinois Virginia UNC Ohio State, BC Syracuse Michigan Purdue....ad Army. That is much more attractive than a regular season of old YankCon rivals I would take UMass as an annual game and certainly play Delaware, Villanova and the rest on an occasional basis. It would probably be preferable to Middle Tennessee or Charlotte or a Florida Somewhere. Plus it might give us someone to affiliate with to schedule if this happens again.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
We do not need the regional D1 schools to start a league with us.

We need (or want) to have 3-5 of them on our schedule each year. Home and homes with the added incentive that our home games will be on national TV. Fill in a pay game and 2-3 other D1 games.

We will be competitive and win often. I will forget 2015-2020 and deny the years existed (except, maybe, the undefeated 2020 year).

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Eww...better off playing the in state schools of your going bother with a schedule loke that. At least your not breaking the state quarantine. Still like no games vs those games.

Reaction Score
Hard cold financial realities will cause a number of colleges to yrtminate their FCS programs, or downgrade to FCS.

Reaction Score
Go FCS and UConn will never be anything ever again but the equivalent a Catholic U basketball school.

That train has already left the station, and UConn chose to board it. Think of it as a self-inflicted wound.

Reaction Score
Only times I saw Memorial close to being filled was when Navy came in to play and after the announced move to the Big East. Few are going to travel any distance to watch those teams. 80+% of the fan base was built on playing or the promise of playing at a higher level on what he is proposing.

Reaction Score
Raising the white flag of surrender has never been considered a bold move.

It's amazing how often people forget that the FCS route is a bigger money loser. We'd lose our CBS sports contract and ability to schedule payday games like Clemson and UCF. We'd also sell fewer tickets and lose donations.

Reaction Score
The article is not about moving down to FCS, but rather forming an Eastern FBS conference. The direction of the thought is ok but the plan is just poorly constructed.

What is proposed in the article is worse than UConn’s status quo. There was a time a year ago to question whether UConn could construct a good Indy schedule. UConn has already confirmed the viability of Indy scheduling.

A football conference needs to be all sports. No one is leaving the Big East for rebuilt CAA.

With UConn already in the Big East the most logical step to UConn playing some of these regional CAA teams is if those teams stepped up as FBS independents. Candidates are Nova, JMU, and UD. Even so these would only be mutually helpful filler games on a schedule, not the main draws.

A few more Indy teams in FBS could help scheduling. Instead of looking for an alternative for UConn football, other schools should be looking to UConn as a model of what is possible. Unless you have P5 money, UConn has the best position, being in a Top 3 hoops conference, regional conference for Olympic sports, and a Indy football schedule that is closer to P5 than the AAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom