Grades for first year head coaches. | The Boneyard

Grades for first year head coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought C for Pasqualoni before I opened this thread. I think that's fair.

Reaction Score
Coaches let Ws get away with Vandy, WMU and ISU.

The team did not show up for Pitt and Louisville.

At best it's a C.

Reaction Score
As for Edsall.....he wins less than five games next season there is a good chance he gets shown the door. Especially if players and recruits keep bolting.

For the life of me I will never understand why he made that move the way he did.

Reaction Score
I understand the C for PP, but an A for Addazio? Really? Slight bias? They ended w/3 conf losses, 3. In the MAC. Yes, they played PSU tough and yes they whipped UMd, but they mailed in the season after that. If PP gets a C for losing to Vandy and ISU, how does an A come from 8-4 in the MAC? I could see if TU won their conference or even the division, but they were the 5th best team in the MAC. :confused:

Reaction Score
I would give Addazio a B. The other 2 grades are pretty fair. I gave P that same grade as soon as the season ended. It wasn't a great job, but it wasn't the unmitigated disaster some posters here wanted everyone to believe.

Reaction Score
As for Edsall.....he wins less than five games next season there is a good chance he gets shown the door. Especially if players and recruits keep bolting.

For the life of me I will never understand why he made that move the way he did.

He bolted UCONN because he already knew Cuse and Pitt were leaving, Louisville/West Virginia would do the same, Marinatto's a buffoon, and the Big East house of cards was teetering. As to why he did it in such a classless way, I don't know either.

Reaction Score
Edsall was trying desperately to get out since 2007.

I can only speculate that he had issues with Hathaway and/or he did not believe he could have long-term success at UCONN. Regardless, the move to Maryland and the way it was done was short sighted.

Reaction Score
He bolted UCONN because he already knew Cuse and Pitt were leaving, Louisville/West Virginia would do the same, Marinatto's a buffoon, and the Big East house of cards was teetering. As to why he did it in such a classless way, I don't know either.

He knew Pitt and Syracuse were leaving? By all reports, PItt and Syracuse didn't know they were leaving twelve months ago. If Edsall even had an inkling, he's better suited to be selecting stocks for a hedge fund.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
D, if average is .500 and a C is average, wouldn't PissPoor rate below average?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Not that conversant with the details of each program. Shouldn't the status of the roster have something to do with grading these guys? PP, whose original 3 QB rotation might be why those early close losses occurred, might really have felt he needed that period to figure out which of his inexperienced QB's would work the best. He also had no experienced RB's had nobody of Sherman's caliber at FB,, had lost 3 very good LB's and had a very green set of DBs, not top mention some key changes on the O line and no game breakers, (Williams is the only kid close to that, but not as a most downs type player). I don't know if a C is right for him or not, but lower than that I think ignores what he was inheriting

Reaction Score
Not that conversant with the details of each program. Shouldn't the status of the roster have something to do with grading these guys? PP, whose original 3 QB rotation might be why those early close losses occurred, might really have felt he needed that period to figure out which of his inexperienced QB's would work the best. He also had no experienced RB's had nobody of Sherman's caliber at FB,, had lost 3 very good LB's and had a very green set of DBs, not top mention some key changes on the O line and no game breakers, (Williams is the only kid close to that, but not as a most downs type player). I don't know if a C is right for him or not, but lower than that I think ignores what he was inheriting
P. had three choices as QB and he picked the worst of the three.

Reaction Score
PP gets a charitable D. 6-6 was attainable with a veteran defense, even after Blidi's injury. sure McEntee had best arm of a poor lot but was worst athlete of the three QBs. classic case of trying get players to fit a system instead of adjusting the system to the talent.
Hope everything works out w/Whitmer, transfers and returning starters. Maybe this year was a 1-yr bump, but PP has a lot to prove next year.
still stinks having to look at the lists of all the coaches who were available last year.

Reaction Score
And as for the list, C was very fair to Coach P. Although he lost some key contributors to the NFL, he had a ton of talent returning on D.

Addazzio deserves a solid B.

Edsall's F is absolutely deserved. He had a ton of talent back on O.

Reaction Score
I don't see how PP gets a C? Did they have a quality win? And his ridiculous platooning of the QBs was lunacy.

I will give him a chance, what option do we have, but he's awful.

And as for the list, C was very fair to Coach P. Although he lost some key contributors to the NFL, he had a ton of talent returning on D.

Addazzio deserves a solid B.

Edsall's F is absolutely deserved. He had a ton of talent back on O.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I would give Pasqualoni a C- for the season. Not making a bowl game with this defense and blowing a couple of redshirts is why he deserves a C- at best.

Addazio is a B at best. Temple was healthier than last season so the improvement is minimal.

Edsall screwed up Maryland the is well deserved.

Reaction Score
Adazzio gets an A. 9 wins, first bowl victory since 1979.
Pasqualoni gets a C. Inherited nothing on offense. Season sucked but it wasn't a train wreck. There were some bright moments.

Also, regarding Adazzio, I don't care how talented your team is or isn't, it's not easy to win in a transition year.

Reaction Score
P. had three choices as QB and he picked the worst of the three.

If you were saying that he picked the one with least physical ability I would agree. His other two choices were true freshmen, and he probably didn't want wreck their future if he didn't believe they were ready.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

He was getting a lot of heat in CT in his last year before we made our run to the BCS. He'd burned a lot of bridges. He knew the cupboard was bare. He had a good chance of being fired from CT this year anyway.

I also think that Randy felt that he had taken CT as far as it could go, although to be fair a BCS bowl is pretty far. He may have felt that CT was holding him back. Others felt that he was holding CT back. It was time to leave.

Reaction Score
He was getting a lot of heat in CT in his last year before we made our run to the BCS. He'd burned a lot of bridges. He knew the cupboard was bare. He had a good chance of being fired from CT this year anyway.

I also think that Randy felt that he had taken CT as far as it could go, although to be fair a BCS bowl is pretty far. He may have felt that CT was holding him back. Others felt that he was holding CT back. It was time to leave.

You think Edsall would be fired this year if he stayed at UCONN? After leading the team to a BCS game? Yikes.

Reaction Score
He knew the cupboard was bare. He had a good chance of being fired from CT this year anyway..

A good chance of being fired?? Where in the world did you come up with that? He had JUST taken us to a BCS bowl...our first ever!! He would not have been fired!

As for the cupboard... it was bare on offense to be sure...and at linebacker on defense. So it wasn't a lay up for CP, as some are suggesting here. Give the guy a little time. Was he great? ...no...but with what he inherited, he wasn't bad either. And recruiting-wise...the most important area in program development, he appears to be light years ahead of FCRE already...in this...just his first full recruiting period!

Reaction Score
i think C is a fair grade for P. i think he will do well here, but 5-7 considering our issues at QB, installing a new defense and our schedule being a little tougher than we would have guessed heading into the season is still pretty mediocre. it's hard to say what will be an acceptable record for next year since we don't even know who will be in our conference, but assuming an OOC schedule of UMass, Buffalo, NCState and UMD there's no reason for us to have a losing record again.

Reaction Score
Randy Edsall was never going to be fired this year. Even if Boneyarders were continuing to despair over his ways of doing things, he had built up too much good will within the UCONN community with the team academic and field performance.

PP won't be fired unless he can't improve the program in a reasonable timeframe and the program instead begins to decline. Although we certainly weren't better this year and his performance can be criticized along with the team's, I feel that we had less overall talent on the field due to our key losses and what would have been a similar performance to last year was wiped out by having deficiencies we couldn't cover up enough to win several games. Part of this is on the coaching staff because so many games had gaffes involving who was inserted as QB at what time, or clock management or other issues that came up. We could have won some of those games had the team and the coaching staff been better prepared. I remember feeling the same way with Randy's teams especially early in the season.

I don't know whether this staff will actually recruit better than Randy's. Some of the signs are encouraging but it's not like the top rated players are signing here. In terms of player ratings we might be slightly ahead of where we usually are but it remains to be seen whether we have actually improved as a program vs the other conference teams. Coach P deserves the chance to get his players and run the program with his style of play to see if this is successful. It makes no sense to be calling for someone to be fired even if you don't particularly like them or their style or their results after 1 season! Seeing some of the coaching carousel things happening in other places made me somewhat happy we have who we have. He's not looking to move on to a bigger and better program, he wants to make his home state program successful. Anyone who thinks that we have the chance to attract a top coach to this program is wrong. We are what we are and while we have lots of potential to improve, we may never have the type of program that can compete with top ten teams year in and year out. It will take huge amounts of donor cash, greatly expanded fan base, better recruiting, better administration and probably better conference. Most of this won't happen over night and unfortunately the conference realignment isn't helping our cause. I intend to continue my support of the team and the program no matter what happens but it will sure be more enjoyable this year if some of the obvious flaws we had this year are resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom