GP Roof Will NOT Be Repaired | The Boneyard

GP Roof Will NOT Be Repaired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
April, 27, 2016: As many of you have read in today's newspapers, funds will NOT be available to repair the leaking roof at Gampel.
......."staff will continue to fix leaks as they find them".....

Reaction Score
April, 27, 2016: As many of you have read in today's newspapers, funds will NOT be available to repair the leaking roof at Gampel.
.."staff will continue to fix leaks as they find them".....

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm not fixing a hole where the rain gets in. Dear Gampel lovers. Tough luck. Deal with it!

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I'm not fixing a hole where the rain gets in. Dear Gampel lovers. Tough luck. Deal with it!
Now, I see why they play so many games in Hartford...(BUT, the roof did cave in there at one time).

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
This sort of thing may be annoying, but this story is also being played out on many other campuses. UConn isn't the lone ranger, nor is it likely to be a competitive disadvantage (much).

Deferred maintenance is the rule of the day in many cases.

HGN

Reaction Score
This is not good.......I know this type of problem is not unique to UConn but it just seems like sacrifices would be made to make the winningest WCBB program facility a nice place.
I did not see the article but did they say when the funds may become available ? Or must fans be rained on while players are raining 3's on the competition. :(

Reaction Score
This is not good..I know this type of problem is not unique to UConn but it just seems like sacrifices would be made to make the winningest WCBB program facility a nice place.
I did not see the article but did they say when the funds may become available ? Or must fans be rained on while players are raining 3's on the competition. :(

Didn't mention where the money was coming from but they are actually fixing the roof and also working on updating a smaller arena to the tune of $255 million

Reaction Score
Fix the roof now and it will save money in the long run. Take it from a financial individual, patching will not work!

Reaction Score
Can we spell "private university"? this is the tyranny of current university financing. Public universities are being hammered by declining state budgets, while private universities and colleges are increasing their endowments tremendously.

UConn's endowment has grown from about $271 Million to $385 Million over the past five years. Public universities have it much easier than the majority of private colleges. Many of the private ones are struggling to survive - and many will go bankrupt or simply shut their doors over the next 20 years.

Reaction Score
UConn's endowment has grown from about $271 Million to $385 Million over the past five years. Public universities have it much easier than the majority of private colleges. Many of the private ones are struggling to survive - and many will go bankrupt or simply shut their doors over the next 20 years.
I think you have in mind the small colleges, not the established ones, what are sometimes called "national" colleges.

$400M is a small endowment for a school the size of UConn. It used to be that one could count on a 5% draw from principal, but that's unrealistic these days. Even so, that would yield a mere $20M/year (about 2% of UConn's annual budget). Syracuse, by contrast, which is fixing the roof has a $1.2B endowment: 3x larger, yet has 1/3 fewer students. Its ratio of endowment/student--which is the index of institutional wealth--is far higher. As well, Syracuse charges more than 2x as much in tuition (varies of UConn, but its instate tuition is 1/5 as much as Syracuse's).

Public universities--dependent on declining state budgets--are hard pressed to compete with private universities and colleges with large endowments.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Welcome to life outside of a Power 5 conference ladies and gentleman.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Apparently the duck tape is working.
Well get some on the inside. The third column, third row looks about right.
51drxxwLdoL._SY300_.jpg

Reaction Score
I think you have in mind the small colleges, not the established ones, what are sometimes called "national" colleges.

$400M is a small endowment for a school the size of UConn. It used to be that one could count on a 5% draw from principal, but that's unrealistic these days. Even so, that would yield a mere $20M/year (about 2% of UConn's annual budget). Syracuse, by contrast, which is fixing the roof has a $1.2B endowment: 3x larger, yet has 1/3 fewer students. Its ratio of endowment/student--which is the index of institutional wealth--is far higher. As well, Syracuse charges more than 2x as much in tuition (varies of UConn, but its instate tuition is 1/5 as much as Syracuse's).

Public universities--dependent on declining state budgets--are hard pressed to compete with private universities and colleges with large endowments.

I don't disagree - but your original post talked about "private colleges and universities" in general. That is what I responded to.

And unfortunately things will get worse for UConn, not better. Thanks to decades of incompetent and too often unethical governors and legislators, the state's credit rating was just downgraded today by both S&P and Fitch. Probably deserves to be lower than it is.

Reaction Score
I really wish the powers that be at UCONN had some foresight, turned Gampel into the NEW training facility and built a NEW Gampel where the training facility now sits! Theater seating for 15,000, upgrading concessions and bathrooms on inside walls, as well as room on the walkway for a HUSKY BB Museum where all the Champion hardware and other memorabilia could be displayed on outside walls with huge banners/posters of the Wall of Honor athletes plus athletes that fell short of that honor such as Jamelle Elliott, Barbara Turner, Tiffany Hayes, Kelly Faris, Ashja Jones, Tamika Williams, Kalana Greene etc.! And men's BB players on Wall of Honor and other greats!
Something on the idea of the NY Yankees Great Hall in the walkway area.
Two programs that lead the nation in BB success should have a building worthy of the talent on the BB court below!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom