Gov. Lamont receives report with recommendations for reopening state’s colleges and universities | The Boneyard

Gov. Lamont receives report with recommendations for reopening state’s colleges and universities

Reaction Score

>>The recommendations include the gradual reopening of higher education campuses over the course of the summer – at the discretion of each institution.

By the fall semester, if health conditions permit, all of the sectors may reopen, although institutions will be free to decide whether they need more time for certain programs to restart.<<

->>The recommended sequencing for reopening colleges and universities would be as follows:
  • Research programs and administrative functions will be able to open on the same timetable as the first wave of general business operations in the state, which is currently set for May 20.
  • Next, early in the summer, workforce development programs in institutions such as community colleges may reopen.
  • By mid-July, other nonresidential educational programs might be reopened if public health conditions continue to improve, and some institutions may want to resume graduate programs. A few summer programs involving undergraduate students in residential settings might be piloted.
  • By the end of the summer in preparation for the fall semester, if prevailing health conditions make it possible, undergraduate residential institutions may reopen if they choose.<<

Reaction Score
>>This sequencing depends on several public health conditions that must be met, including:
  • The prevalence of the disease must be low enough to allow the safe resumption of campus operations;
  • Institutions that will be housing students 24/7 must have access to enough COVID-19 tests so that entering students can be tested upon arrival, and those students testing positive must be immediately isolated; and
  • An adequate capacity for contact tracing must be provided to the higher education institutions.
In order to reopen, each higher education institution would be required to file reopening plans with the Connecticut Department of Public health, detailing how they propose to:
  • Repopulate the campus, likely in a phased way;
  • Monitor health conditions to detect infection;
  • Contain the spread of disease when detected; and
  • Shut down the campus in the event it becomes necessary.<<

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah, let's make sure all the UConn students over 65 with multiple morbidities are safe. If you are college age, you have more chance of being run over by Chief driving too fast to get to a meeting with Andre than dying of the Chi-Com flu.

Make UConn Great Again! :)

Protect yourself

Kidding aside, there are probably plenty of staff over age 65 and enough students with compromised immune systems that need much more personalized attention. I'd focus on keeping them safe and isolated.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
There's no way to have all those students social distancing, so you'd better have lots of testing and be prepared to shut down at a moment's notice if things start to ramp up. These kids are unlikely to die, but they have to go home some day and we don't want every kid being a carrier when they head home for Thanksgiving.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There's no way to have all those students social distancing, so you'd better have lots of testing and be prepared to shut down at a moment's notice if things start to ramp up. These kids are unlikely to die, but they have to go home some day and we don't want every kid being a carrier when they head home for Thanksgiving.

Quick brainstorming. I would look in to setting aside one or two dorms and have them completely isolated and ready to accept corona positive students. As soon as a kid tests positive in to the isolation ward they go. They can then take all their classes from their room, and if they are medically unable to "attend" class, give them some sort of self-paced study which needs to be completed by end of spring semester. Let them finish in fall semester or give them an Incomplete and finish during spring.

If it were possible and legal, I'd try and do something similar for faculty or staff as far as quarantining and isolation.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Quick brainstorming. I would look in to setting aside one or two dorms and have them completely isolated and ready to accept corona positive students. As soon as a kid tests positive in to the isolation ward they go. They can then take all their classes from their room, and if they are medically unable to "attend" class, give them some sort of self-paced study which needs to be completed by end of spring semester. Let them finish in fall semester or give them an Incomplete and finish during spring.

If it were possible and legal, I'd try and do something similar for faculty or staff as far as quarantining and isolation.
It's a good plan. It requires them to already have accepted less freshman which I doubt they've done, but I like the idea.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t be shocked if parents who live close enough have their kids commute rather than live on campus/off campus apartment. Obviously there is a risk with being on campus at all but much reduced when you’re not sharing a living space.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's a good plan. It requires them to already have accepted less freshman which I doubt they've done, but I like the idea.

Schools accepting freshmen and freshmen choosing schools are two separate numbers.

From what I have read and know anecdotally, colleges are scrambling to get hard commits from students.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t be shocked if parents who live close enough have their kids commute rather than live on campus/off campus apartment. Obviously there is a risk with being on campus at all but much reduced when you’re not sharing a living space.

Also may see an increase in local community colleges or Juco's if those schools are in areas with low density and outbreaks it if they offer online classes.

Reaction Score
Schools accepting freshmen and freshmen choosing schools are two separate numbers.

From what I have read and know anecdotally, colleges are scrambling to get hard commits from students.

A lot of people are choosing to not pay their initial deposits until they know there are in-person classes to attend. If classes are online, people will look for a cheaper option. The colleges know this, so they are doing whatever they can to be open in the fall. See the recent articles from high-raking officials at some of our more elite institutions.

Still, one of the conditions of reopening is likely going to be that lectures need to be recorded and broadcast for individuals who are not comfortable attending or who contract the virus.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A lot of people are choosing to not pay their initial deposits until they know there are in-person classes to attend. If classes are online, people will look for a cheaper option. The colleges know this, so they are doing whatever they can to be open in the fall. See the recent articles from high-raking officials at some of our more elite institutions.

Still, one of the conditions of reopening is likely going to be that lectures need to be recorded and broadcast for individuals who are not comfortable attending or who contract the virus.

My first semester GPA would have gone up at least 3 points if I had televised lectures.

Reaction Score
My first semester GPA would have gone up at least 3 points if I had televised lectures.
Education is morphing as we speak. It’s more than the growing concept of virtual classes. It’s being able to access knowledge in new ways. My admin assistant has been home schooling her 9 year old daughter during the school shutdown. Yesterday she gave her a math quiz. As she returned to the child’s room after taking a call she overheard the following: Hey Google, how much is 8 X 17. LOL

Reaction Score
Some young folks can't make change without a register that tells them the amount. Technology has provided a lot of shortcuts.

I have always found it useful to have the ability to do math quickly in my head....percents, addition, subtraction, etc.

But the world moves on...in my high school days, there were no calculators....we learned how to use a slide rule ...in the day before computers, we had much less general knowledge available. If you weren't one of the few with a set of encyclopedias, you had no easy way to access what every six year old can now.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Education is morphing as we speak. It’s more than the growing concept of virtual classes. It’s being able to access knowledge in new ways. My admin assistant has been home schooling her 9 year old daughter during the school shutdown. Yesterday she gave her a math quiz. As she returned to the child’s room after taking a call she overheard the following: Hey Google, how much is 8 X 17. LOL

I don't know why you'd ask Google when a calculator gives you the right answer. Lol.

I foresee a future where colleges and universities make a deeper line in the sand differentiating between degrees that require you to "learn" something at a university and degrees which just broaden your knowledge base.
Being a doctor requires a certain level of knowledge and practice as an undergrad. Do we still need cadavers? No. Modeling and simulation can replicate much of that early on. There is a certain amount of sensory learning with touch that can't be done from a computer screen.
But an accountant can learn and practice online and still be prepared to take a CPA exam without needing to take formal college classes. Or you could work as a book keeper for a bit and learn on the side and then take a CPA.
Much of IT is the same way. You can learn stuff on your own by using what's on the net and get certified in different areas.
I still believe there is value in sending kids off for a few years to learn how to deal with "stuff" without adults watching and correcting every move. Just don't know if it is worth what colleges are charging now.
My company is probably 60%+ college grads in the work force with the remainder being skilled labor. There aren't very many, if any, entry positions with no experience. Yet, my company prefers us to use Skillsoft, Harvard Business Classes, LinkedIn Learning and other online tools to stay current or to prep for certifications. We do have a very nice education plan if you choose to go to school for undergrad or grad work but continuing education via schooling is valued at 10% of an employee's profile.

What I am confident saying is conversations between parents and high school kids regarding college choices, expenses and expected outcomes was already shifting dramatically. This pandemic may be the final nail in the "go to college for four years right after high school" mentality.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

And for more complex stuff, there are apps that allow someone to take a picture of an equation or of a graph and the app will provide the rest of the information.

Reaction Score

Plus they are college kids. They will do the right thing, just like we always did. Kids are at low risk and this helps build herd immunity. That said, if its my kids, I ask them to attend a local commuting college for a year, but it would be a discussion not a rule. The colleges need to test a lot and take immediate action.

Reaction Score
Also may see an increase in local community colleges or Juco's if those schools are in areas with low density and outbreaks it if they offer online classes.

That would definitely be the way I would be thinking if I was a prospective student. Take core general classes at CCs online and then transfer to UCONN in two years. Money saver and some peace of mind.

Reaction Score
Take core general classes at CCs online and then transfer to UCONN in two years. Money saver and some peace of mind.
Certainly sounds rational, but if that becomes the ubiquitous model, lots of 4 year institutions will shutter.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Certainly sounds rational, but if that becomes the ubiquitous model, lots of 4 year institutions will shutter.

Especially the smaller, private ones. Truth be told this can become a model for state universities to save money for taxpayers and for students. Many students can start at satellite campuses or do some online classes and then move to the main campus for core classes.

I don't believe the current university model is some gold standard. It can be tweaked in some areas and bludgeoned in others.

Connecticut is obviously a compact state and the historical significance of private schools in the northeast can't be discounted, but for most of the country you don't have a choice of 20+ high ranked schools within a 6-8 hour drive. Consider all the great universities from DC-Boston and then take that distance and go to other major metros areas and there is nothing that compares. California has some excellent universities, both public and private but nothing compared to the norhteast.

Because of that, many states have one or two really good private universities and other than that, the state flagship is the best education choice. Those flagships can only accommodate so many students. Many of them have programs where you start at a directional state university or a 2-year state school and based off performance there, you can get in to the main campus.

Idea is to not bring in students to the main campus who are unlikely to graduate. I would even suspect there is a high probability that drop outs from the main campus are less likely to finish at a directional school which has societal impacts for economic mobility of those students.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom