GoT: How should I spend my 100.00? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

GoT: How should I spend my 100.00?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
let's just say that he wrote a lot about the beauty of prepubescent actresses trying out for the Arya and Sansa type roles. Dude is creepy as you-know-what.

This guy? You don't say...

1552276617523.png

Reaction Score
No, I didn't know about it. That'll be my next one when I finish a few things. I like to read these types of books at night before bed because it helps me wind down.

Just note, 2nd Apocalypse is a little dense, and darker than most. But if you like to think a little bit, it's well worth the read imo.

Another one that just came to mind, that is in a different vein, but really fun, is the unfinished The Gentleman Bastard series by Scott Lynch. First book is the Lies of Locke Lamora.

It's fantasy, but not so much swords/knights style. Quick synopsis:

The series take place in the world of the shattered Therin Throne Empire and its descendant states. It follows the life of the young professional thief and con artist Locke Lamora, over a period of some fifteen to twenty years. 1st book: Elite con artists calling themselves the "Gentleman Bastards" rob the rich of the city of Camorr, based on late medieval Venice but on an unnamed world.

Lynch is 3 books into a planned 7 book series (4th supposedly being released this summer). But each book is relatively self contained, so you don't feel like you're hanging on a thread.

This one's not dense, but as I said, just fun. Highly recommend it.

I thought you said the Fourth Book was being released this summer? I think you might have gotten me stuck in another GRRM situation: the neverending story. For shame, Int. For shame.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I thought you said the Fourth Book was being released this summer? I think you might have gotten me stuck in another GRRM situation: the neverending story. For shame, Int. For shame.

Was supposed to be in September when I posted. Manuscript is in and being edited. Probable release sometime next year then?

He's definitely better than rothfuss and Martin.

And where he really beats them is that each book is enough of a self contained story that you're not like wtf at the end.

Reaction Score
Was supposed to be in September when I posted. Manuscript is in and being edited. Probable release sometime next year then?

He's definitely better than rothfuss and Martin.

And where he really beats them is that each book is enough of a self contained story that you're not like at the end.

I read somewhere that named him, GRRM and Rothfuss the Unholy Trinity. Lol. It's just my luck that I am reading all 3!!!

Reaction Score
Any new recs? I need to read something while I wait . . . .

Reaction Score
Any new recs? I need to read something while I wait . . . .

Have you read Mark Lawrence? He has a few, completed trilogies out there that are all pretty good (Broken Empire, Red Queen's War, Book of the Ancestor). I'm assuming you've read Brandon Sanderson. I didn't love Mistborn as much as most folks seemed to, but Stormlight Archive is outstanding. Also, the Demon Cycle by Peter Brett is an excellent five-book series.

Reaction Score
Have you read Mark Lawrence? He has a few, completed trilogies out there that are all pretty good (Broken Empire, Red Queen's War, Book of the Ancestor). I'm assuming you've read Brandon Sanderson. I didn't love Mistborn as much as most folks seemed to, but Stormlight Archive is outstanding. Also, the Demon Cycle by Peter Brett is an excellent five-book series.

Yes to Sanderson, but haven't read the others. Thanks. Completed series are exactly what I was looking for.

Reaction Score
Feel like there were a couple of people in here who suggested reading Mistborn. I'm about 1/3 of the way through and am loving it so far

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Feel like there were a couple of people in here who suggested reading Mistborn. I'm about 1/3 of the way through and am loving it so far

Yep very good. Sanderson really is very good.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I have been slogging through Robin Hobb’s assassin books and kind of hit a wall of boredom/disinterest with 2 trilogies to go. I think I need to move on to Sanderson.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I have been slogging through Robin Hobb’s assassin books and kind of hit a wall of boredom/disinterest with 2 trilogies to go. I think I need to move on to Sanderson.

Sanderson is really good. I've read most everything he has. They're all pretty strong. Super prolific guy.

Mistborn trilogy is great. It was supposed to be the 1st in a "trilogy of trilogies". Where the second trilogy was to be set in an urban setting, featuring modern technology, and the third trilogy was to be a science fiction, set in the far future. All set on the same world.

But he ended up doing another trilogy (called Mistborn: Wax and Wayne) set in between which is in kind of wild west/industrial revolution era. It's much lighter, but I still enjoyed it. Totally different feel in that it has guns and such, but the magical system still holds, tho much has been lost.

He's then going to do the two trilogies I mentioned following. So he'll have a quadrilogy of trilogies lol.

Once you're done Mistborn, if you want to read more Sanderson, I'd check out his wiki. All his books are part of something he calls The Cosmere, a 'universe' so to speak, which means there's some interconnections between all the worlds/characters in all his books. It's actually really interesting/impressive in scope. You kind of have to follow up after to see some of it because it is subtle.

Stormlight Archive is awesome (my favorite of his), but not yet complete. So for people looking for a wrapped series, that's not it. It's going to be 2 sets of 5 books. The 4th book set to come out later this year, with the 5th following in prob 2 years. The second set of 5 I've no idea his plans for.

He wrote a few one off books which were pretty good. Warbreaker was solid. Elantris and the associated novellas is also good, but maybe a touch more YA. Still worth it imo.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom