OT: GoPro

I'm thinking about setting up a GoPro outside, facing my pond. I've seen signs of bear, bobcat, coyotes, etc, and would like to get video of their activity.

I know nothing about GoPro, or any comparable alternatives. There seems to be several models and accessories - which is best for my purposes, and equally as important, which would be overkill?

I'm assuming I want motion activation, and need to prevent water damage from rain. Other than that, I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
I have a hero 4 I believe. It has the ability to be used from your phone and many other options as well. It's waterproof as long as you use the case with it. I have no idea if they make motion sensor GoPros but it seems like they have attachments that turn it into a motion sensing camera...?

Thinking about it a while, it doesn't necessarily have to be video. A motion activated camera would be fine. The ability to take a high quality picture outdoors at night would be fine. Wifi to send the picture to a cloud account, or my iPad/iPhone would be a bonus.

If you just want wildlife, you might look into a hunting camera with a motion sensor.
I have, but the quality isn't very good on the cameras I've looked at, and I'd like to use wifi from my house to send me the pictures or store on my cloud account.

The Hero5 Black is an awesome camera, worth every penny. Aside from that, it doesn't have a motion sensor, so I'd look into trail cams.

CL82

Trust the process
Try Dick's, they have a ton of them. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. Wireless is going to be more expensive as is HD but there are a lot of choices that seem reasonable.

LINKY

Post the picts when you get them.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
GoPros are fun cameras that can take some pretty good pictures depending on your skills and the conditions.

If you decide to go with GoPro you should probably get the Hero 5. You will get the most features, best picture quality, and it's waterproof without a case. If you want to save money there is no reason to go lower than Hero 4 silver. I don't think you will save that much money unless you go used though.

I have never looked for a motion sensor so I have no idea if one exists. So to take any pictures you will most likely want to do a long time lapse. If you want it to run for more than 2-3 hours this would also require you to have the camera plugged into an additional power source like an outlet or battery pack. Otherwise you will have to sit there and press the capture button to take pictures.

Some stuff to know about GoPro before you buy one-
1)The lens is fisheye and besides correcting this in post there isn't really anything do about it. Even if you use software to undo the fish eye look it will still look funny. The fisheye works good for some situations, but for others it's just not the best. If the animals are close to the camera you would be able to get some decent picutres.
2) There is no night vision so if animals are coming at night its not going to work very well. They have a long exposure feature, but unless you can get the animals to sit still that isnt going to help either.
3) There is a range on the wifi connection to your phone so if you move out of that range you will lose the connection.
4) I believe GoPro recently came out with a feature that would automatically upload your images to their cloud service so you could access them at any time. This might meet your needs but there is a charge.

In conclusion I would say a GoPro might do the job for you, but I cant help but imagine there has to be a better option out there. I would go to an outdoors store and a camera store to ask if they have any suggestions for this.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
I don't necessarily have any specific recos, GoPro seems overkill for what you are looking for Tom.

The great selling point of GoPros is their ability to capture high quality fast action photos, either from a mobile or stationary position. That and their durability to falls etc

Unless you are try to capture bats in high def, I don't see why you'd either functionality. So why pay for it?

A trail cam is what he is looking for,
Cheaper and with a built in motion defector.
I'm in the wilds of Northwest CT
this week and that's what my animal loving family recommends

Not my pond, but here's one I took yesterday at 2 am. Check out the belly.

Try Dick's, they have a ton of them. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. Wireless is going to be more expensive as is HD but there are a lot of choices that seem reasonable.

LINKY

Post the picts when you get them.

IMG_1630.JPG

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
That's what I thought, but when I check back an hour later the little guys where crawling around her general area. They looked too big to be new burns.

When I flashed the light in their direction they crawled into her pouch. It was pretty neat.
That's good, they don't scatter and are all centralized. A well placed homemade hand grenade could take those varmints out in one fell swoop.

tykurez

For Your Health
I think there's cheaper alternatives, but something like a Nest Cam is what you're probably looking for. GoPro is more for actually taking somewhere with you and like others have said, doesn't have motion sensors or anything. Quick google search for "Nest Cam alternatives" brought up this page.

Arlo looks like a potentially good one.

That's good, they don't scatter and are all centralized. A well placed homemade hand grenade could take those varmints out in one fell swoop.
A fellow animal lover I see:
When I lived in Ct my wife would ooh and aah the always present deer
Then they ate 150 of her beautiful blooming tulips.Just the flowers
She converted overnight into Elmer Fudd.

RichZ

Methuselah's older brother
Get a trail cam. Lower cost and is designed to do exactly what you want done.