OT: Goodman reports Bolden of UCLA ineligible | The Boneyard

OT: Goodman reports Bolden of UCLA ineligible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mens...s-rules-ucla-freshman-jonah-bolden-ineligible

Does anyone know what Goodman is trying to say in this trainwreck of a sentence?

"Sources told ESPN the issue stems from Bolden leaving Australia after his senior season had already began to attend Findlay Prep in Las Vegas."

I'm not sure what the ambiguity is. After his senior season had already started, he left Australia to attend Findlay Prep in Las Vegas. That appears to be the issue.

caw

Reaction Score
Poor punctuation makes Goodmans sentence nearly nonsensical.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what the ambiguity is. After his senior season had already started, he left Australia to attend Findlay Prep in Las Vegas. That appears to be the issue.

Are you certain?

Reaction Score
Poor punctuation makes Goodmans sentence nearly nonsensical.

I'm not a Goodman fan by any means, but that sentence correctly has no punctuation other than the period. There's only one way to read that sentence.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Does anyone know what Goodman is trying to say in this trainwreck of a sentence?

That UCLA has an open scholarship and the NCAA will give Daniel Hamilton the opportunity to transfer from UConn to UCLA, waiving the 1 year sit-out requirement because UConn is clearly a level below anyone in 5CSMA (as defined by Dr. Susan Herbst.)...or something to that effect.

caw

Reaction Score
I'm not a Goodman fan by any means, but that sentence correctly has no punctuation other than the period. There's only one way to read that sentence.

You sure a comma isn't missing? One which would make it easier to read? Maybe even two?

Reaction Score
A sentence can be both grammatically correct and poorly written. I had to read it twice to get it, which, along with other people's confusion, is a good sign it was badly written.

caw

Reaction Score
"Sources told ESPN the issue stems from Bolden leaving Australia, after his senior season had already began, to attend Findlay Prep in Las Vegas."

The above is more grammatically incorrect? Honestly, probably still poorly written...but easier to read than his original post.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You sure a comma isn't missing? One which would make it easier to read? Maybe even two?

I'm quite positive that a comma isn't missing. I suppose that doesn't make it a good sentence, but it's not grammatically incorrect.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
People need to ask the places I've taught at for a refund, because that thing is not grammatically correct. The verb infinitive "began to attend" is paired with the prep. subject "his senior season."

In other words, "His senior season began to attend Findlay." I can't even see how a comma after season saves it.

Reaction Score
"Sources told ESPN the issue stems from Bolden leaving Australia, after his senior season had already began, to attend Findlay Prep in Las Vegas."

The above is incorrect? Honestly, probably still poorly written...but easier to read than his original post.

That would be incorrect. The reason that Bolden is ineligible appears to be specifically because he left Australia after the season began, so you can't bracket off that portion of the sentence.

Reaction Score
People need to ask the places I've taught at for a refund, because that thing is not grammatically correct. The verb infinitive "began to attend" is paired with the prep. subject "his senior season."

In other words, "His senior season began to attend Findlay." I can't even see how a comma after season saves it.
"The issue stems from Bolden leaving Australia after his senior season had already began([,] or [in order]) to attend Findlay Prep in Las Vegas."

Maybe "begun" would have been more proper

Reaction Score
"The issue stems from Bolden leaving Australia after his senior season had already began([,] or [in order]) to attend Findlay Prep in Las Vegas."

Actually, this is true. The "had" in "had already began" means that he should have used "begun" instead of "began." I'm not sure how I missed that before.

Reaction Score

Not just more proper, correct. "Had began" is always wrong.

caw

Reaction Score
That would be incorrect. The reason that Bolden is ineligible appears to be specifically because he left Australia after the season began, so you can't bracket off that portion of the sentence.

Is it? I guess I wasn't making the assumption that was factual and what he meant, it being Goodman and all.

pj

Reaction Score
It's clear what needs to be done. Bolden needs to ask Findlay Prep to send his senior season back. Then he needs to ask the NCAA forgiveness for leaving Australia, since he didn't know that was a violation, which is understandable since it wouldn't have been a violation if he had left Australia before his senior season began attending Findlay Prep. Anyone could have made that mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom