Good win, any win over Texas is, but... | The Boneyard

Good win, any win over Texas is, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I did not enjoy that. Liked the defense. Like the rebounding. But I tore my hair out...

...watching missed layups early even by Hamilton
...watching missed free throws especially Rodney
...watching Gibbs not set his feet when he's wide open for 3s
...watching Jalen take a couple bad shots
...watching boneheaded one-on-ones late
...watching them stall the offense even when they beat the press and Jalen has a lane to the hoop

Loved watching Rodney on offense, Shonn Miller's one handed dunk, his 3, his post game
Loved seeing Gibbs play in control and more mature

I thought this game should have been an absolute blowout.

Tore my hair out.

EDIT: I might have also enjoyed the game more if I wasn't watching the Texas broadcast. I swore the channel said ESPN but I got announcers from the Longhorn Network. Shaka Smart has all these philosohies, I learned that tonight. Who is UConn's coach? I also heard UConn has a guy named Brimah who may be hurt but that's only a rumor.

Reaction Score
I did not enjoy that. Liked the defense. Like the rebounding. But I tore my hair out...

...watching them stall the offense even when they beat the press and Jalen has a lane to the hoop

Loved watching Rodney on offense, Shonn Miller's one handed dunk, his 3, his post game

Tore my hair out.

EDIT: I might have also enjoyed the game more if I wasn't watching the Texas broadcast. I swore the channel said ESPN but I got announcers from the Longhorn Network. Shaka Smart has all these philosohies, I learned that tonight. Who is UConn's coach? I also heard UConn has a guy named Brimah who may be hurt but that's only a rumor.
We were lucky they shot so poorly from 3. Big, strong, fast... They'll be a load for a lot of teams.

Reaction Score
Was it perfect? No it wasnt...but there was a lot to be proud of tonight. Miller was great tonight with 13 and 7 and you have to give Facey credit because he was very solid with 7 points and 8 rebounds. We really need those two guys to step it up with he lossaid of Britain answer so far I think they answered the bell.

Reaction Score
I kinda feel the vibe, here.

I can't remember a UConn team that is more white knuckle inducing than this one. It always seems like they're on the cusp of running a team off the floor and getting run off it themselves at all times. They make utterly bone headed plays and mistakes that players this talented shouldn't - while simultaneously getting away with murder because, well - they're that talented. There'll be three sequences where they look smooth and effortless scoring and then three sequences where it literally looks like no one knows what offense they're running. Even when they're up big it never feels like it. When they're down by a point it feels like a dozen. I said basically the same thing in another thread, but they're still a work in progress. I feel like the more I watch them, the less I feel I know.

Reaction Score

Tore my hair out.

I was most concerned with our ball movement on offense. I was getting flashbacks to last year when we dribbled around and did nothing and then shot contested shots at the end of the clock. I believe we only recorded 7 or 8 assists. That is not great at all. Their defense was pretty good and disruptive so that had something to do with it but still would like to see more assists than that.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
uconnfan68 said:
We were lucky they shot so poorly from 3. Big, strong, fast... They'll be a load for a lot of teams.

They are a bad three point shooting team.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
@Towney007 life without a true point guard. We haven't had to weather it in some time but here we are.

This. Gibbs doesn't have the quickness to beat defenders off the dribble, and Adams is still a roller coaster (to be expected as a freshman). In games like this, I like Hamilton running the offense the vast majority of the time. Hopefully Gibbs can gel into the offense a little better or Adams can become a little more consistent so we can run a true PG out there.

Reaction Score
I kinda feel the vibe, here.

I can't remember a UConn team that is more white knuckle inducing than this one. It always seems like they're on the cusp of running a team off the floor and getting run off it themselves at all times. They make utterly bone headed plays and mistakes that players this talented shouldn't - while simultaneously getting away with murder because, well - they're that talented. There'll be three sequences where they look smooth and effortless scoring and then three sequences where it literally looks like no one knows what offense they're running. Even when they're up big it never feels like it. When they're down by a point it feels like a dozen. I said basically the same thing in another thread, but they're still a work in progress. I feel like the more I watch them, the less I feel I know.
O.K. glad it's not just me. I threw out more F bombs than any game in recent memory. My son said all my hair is going to turn gray this season if I keep this up.

Reaction Score

Tore my hair out.

Add to that the 3 carries and 2 lane violations and you got one head scratcher of a W. Texas without their lane clogger is just not a good team. With that said, we beat an upper level P5 team on their own floor, which can't be ignored. They hit their FTs during winning time. Staved off a late charge by Texas and came away with a needed away OOC win.

Not the most entertaining win I've ever seen, but a win nonetheless. Nice send off for 2015.

Reaction Score
@Towney007 life without a true point guard. We haven't had to weather it in some time but here we are.

Yeah that pretty much hits it on the button. I feel like Gibbs gelling into the offense more and Adams maturing later in the year are the two big keys in terms of how this team finishes up. It'll just free Hamilton up to do so much more...

Reaction Score
Good win. We are going to have a ton of dog fights on our hands ahead. Just win.

Reaction Score
Don't know if anyone noticed this but watching that game, the crowd was so quiet. The announcers had some stretches where nothing was said and it was as if the game was being played in a morgue

Reaction Score
I was most concerned with our ball movement on offense. I was getting flashbacks to last year when we dribbled around and did nothing and then shot contested shots at the end of the clock. I believe we only recorded 7 or 8 assists. That is not great at all. Their defense was pretty good and disruptive so that had something to do with it but still would like to see more assists than that.
That was the case in a lot of the second half, but in the first half they had more than a few nice sequences with the extra pass to an open 3, but didn't make the shot.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I thought the officiating was pretty bad. Not the worst but I think it had a lot of do with the pace being so bad. I also think a few questionable calls kept Texas in it.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I enjoyed the win, I think our expectations are too high sometimes, we gutted this out

I was annoyed by two lane violations giving them two points, missed free throws and Phil (I'm sorry, he has no chance with me anymore)

when we make runs, we shoot 80% ish from the FT line and that's how you win close games, that's how a 2 point lead becomes a 7 point lead, we have to do better there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom