Good Read Sally Jenkins Wash Post. | The Boneyard

Good Read Sally Jenkins Wash Post.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Sally ought to learn how to spell Chris Dailey's name correctly. She also failed to do her homework. She totally missed those pesky Flying Queens of Wayland Baptist, circa 1950's, at 131 straight wins.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I would add that there is nothing to add. Well said, well defined, well taken.

Reaction Score
It is a small thing, but the aforementioned misspelling of CD's last name sort of undercuts Sally's credibility as an expert on the matter. Appreciate her intent though.

Reaction Score
Jenkins is a hero in New England: has supported the Patriots consistently over Roger Goddell.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Jenkins has long been a UTenn suck up. Kudos for writing an article that may have been difficult for her.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It is a small thing, but the aforementioned misspelling of CD's last name sort of undercuts Sally's credibility as an expert on the matter. Appreciate her intent though.
Firstoff, many on the Boneyard were complaining about the lack of coverage and now you're quibbling over the spelling of CD's name? For all we know it could have been a spell autocorrect by her typeset if she had a previous article with a different spelling. Give it a rest and just enjoy. Otherwise you sound like a curmudgeon.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

For all we know, it was some schlub sports editor at the Chicago Tribune mis-edited it, perhaps by faulty association with Chuck Daly.

But Jenkins does a great job of communicating why UConn should never be a boring watch to anyone who gives a lick about basketball. The article makes up for its fact-checking and spellchecking slip-ups with statements like this:
  • ".... Monday night, they won their 100th straight game, something no team male or female has ever done, and they did it with more eye-pleasing flow, buff, and polish than any team you've ever seen, too."
  • "The main thing you notice about UConn is that the inconsequential possession doesn't exist for them. They do nothing casually — ever. And they take advantage of every casual thing by their opponent. .... There is never a single idle moment, never a drifting move, never a sluggish foot or a hand. They don't take even a piece of a play off. When they set a screen, it's a squared-up physical wall that creates instant open floor. There is no such thing as an indifferent dribble. Watch how they pass on the move, how hard they cut, how disciplined they space and how they fly up the floor."
  • "In an odd way, for all of its unsungness, this could be one of UConn's most defining teams. It's revealing that the program isn't all about recruiting, it isn't all about having the dominant player, it isn't all about physical superiority. It's about method, approach, and above all playing the game as a kind of ethic. And that's something that should be of interest to anyone who really cares about quality."

Reaction Score
Firstoff, many on the Boneyard were complaining about the lack of coverage and now you're quibbling over the spelling of CD's name? For all we know it could have been a spell autocorrect by her typeset if she had a previous article with a different spelling. Give it a rest and just enjoy. Otherwise you sound like a curmudgeon.

Not quibbling.... just stating a point of common sense.... C'mon DBB, if you are an expert in your field, and you are a special expert in WCBB, it is natural you would have the i's properly dotted and the t's properly crossed...

I know she wouldn't spell Warlick's name or DeMoss' name wrong.... and no i do not have a burr in my saddle I just expect better

Reaction Score
Me, too. I would not have expected this overwhelmingly positive article from Jenkins. I think the reason she has come to this point -- and others, too -- is that UConn, in its excellence, is the face of women's basketball, or the face that WCBB would like to have.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Not quibbling... just stating a point of common sense... C'mon DBB, if you are an expert in your field, and you are a special expert in WCBB, it is natural you would have the i's properly dotted and the t's properly crossed..

I know she wouldn't spell Warlick's name or DeMoss' name wrong... and no i do not have a burr in my saddle I just expect better

CD's name was spelled correctly in the Washington Post, which is the publication Jenkins works for:
Bored by U-Conn. women’s dominance? You must not like basketball

I see it was also spelled correctly in other outlets that have picked up the piece. Again, I strongly suspect the error was by someone at the Tribune.

Reaction Score

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
"What's so interesting is that this particular team doesn't beat you with size or transcendent talent."

Hmmm, I wonder if having a player that can guard every position and play about every position be considered transcendent.

transcendent:
going beyond ordinary limits; surpassing;exceeding.
superior or supreme.

Reaction Score
Not entirely. Chris is NOT an assistant coach. Still, a fine article.

Hah ..... Very good pickup Zorro Yeah, you are right... still good article especially from Sally.....

Reaction Score
Not quibbling... just stating a point of common sense... C'mon DBB, if you are an expert in your field, and you are a special expert in WCBB, it is natural you would have the i's properly dotted and the t's properly crossed..

I know she wouldn't spell Warlick's name or DeMoss' name wrong... and no i do not have a burr in my saddle I just expect better
Yep, a curmugeon. That's so PC.

Reaction Score
Jenkins has long been a UTenn suck up. Kudos for writing an article that may have been difficult for her.
Not difficult at all, she is trying to co -write a book with Geno....

Reaction Score
Great, I was making comment on the poster that called you a curmudgeon.
Dang, I don't even know what it means. I'm a LOT more colorful.

Thank you for clarifying..... I did indeed think it was not that complimentary but was rolling with the punches.... I was confused.... so i thank you for clearing this up in my pea of a brain!!! Appreciate it

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom