Good podcast about the UConn Women | The Boneyard

Good podcast about the UConn Women

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Episode 11 – Are the UCONN Huskies good or bad for women’s hoops?

I don't know much about the other guy but TJ is TJ Rosene, a director for Point Guard College. He pretty much nails it, as I expected he would. Several girls from the UConn program have attended PGC and Geno's mentality is as well aligned with what they teach as any coach out there and vice versa. I know TJ and observed him in action as a director. Good guy who gets it.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I get a "Dangerous Website" message from my Norton or Windows defender.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting, but the both seem pretty uniformed about women's basketball recruiting, and no mention of the four year vs. one and done nature of the men's game being a reason that you can build dominant teams.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I listened to this and frankly wasn't too impressed. For example, they both agreed that "You would think someone would want to slay the dragon", and couldn't understand why no other program feels that way, or why all the high school stars supposedly want to go to UConn. The coaches that they mentioned as being in the best position to challenge UConn were Mike Neighbors at UWashington and Brenda Freese of Maryland.

No mention of Notre Dame, Baylor, Texas, or South Carolina! No awareness that since the Stewie / Moriah / Morgan class, these schools have gotten more top recruits than UConn has. No mention of players like A'ja Wilson or Briana Turner, who pretty clearly went where they went precisely to have a chance to "slay the dragon".

One of the participants did say that he thinks UConn will not win it all in the upcoming year -- which would be a sensible prediction at this point. But they both seemed to take it as fact that UConn will always have the most talent, implying that is the basic reason why they dominate. That may have been true for the last four years, but it has not been generally true since 1995 and probably will not be true even after next year.

I do agree with them on one point -- WCBB would be more interesting if there were two schools at the top rather than one. That was the case (more or less) from 1995 to 2008 with UConn and Tennessee, but it has not been true since. If one of the "bridesmaid" teams (my pick would be Notre Dame) rises to the level of being a co-equal of UConn with an equal chance to win the NC in most years, that would make the whole sport more interesting, and would attract more fans.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
No mention of players like A'ja Wilson or Briana Turner, who pretty clearly went where they went precisely to have a chance to "slay the dragon".
Don't think I'm with you on this one. There are many reasons why those two could have chosen the schools they did. For example, Notre Dame is a top-notch school academically, and SCAR is a flagship state university. Obviously, by going to a school other than UConn they would on paper have a chance to beat UConn, but unless they stated explicitly that that was their reason, I don't think we can know that.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Don't think I'm with you on this one. There are many reasons why those two could have chosen the schools they did. For example, Notre Dame is a top-notch school academically, and SCAR is a flagship state university. Obviously, by going to a school other than UConn they would on paper have a chance to beat UConn, but unless they stated explicitly that that was their reason, I don't think we can know that.

Geno is polarizing. He's a lot like "Howard Cosell". You either like him, or you hate him (I liked Cosell). Some players dream nightly of going to UConn and playing for Geno (Crystal Dangerfield/Mone' Davis ).
Some players would never seriously entertain the thought of matriculating to UConn (Too cold in the winter, don't like the location of the campus/conference/coaches/players/ hard to get any playing time/parents/AAU coaches steering them in another direction, etc. ). There are a myriad of reasons why many of the top rated players in a given class shy away from UConn. The UConn staff is well aware of this dynamic, and and to date, they've been able to successfully work around this exiguous handicap.

Reaction Score
The UConn staff is well aware of this dynamic, and and to date, they've been able to successfully work around this exiguous handicap.[/QUOTE]
What a word, exiguous. Never heard it before. Totally unnecessary in the context, but I love it. Learned a new word. Cool.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Geno is polarizing. He's a lot like "Howard Cosell". You either like him, or you hate him (I liked Cosell). Some players dream nightly of going to UConn and playing for Geno (Crystal Dangerfield/Mone' Davis ).
Some players would never seriously entertain the thought of matriculating to UConn (Too cold in the winter, don't like the location of the campus/conference/coaches/players/ hard to get any playing time/parents/AAU coaches steering them in another direction, etc. ). There are a myriad of reasons why many of the top rated players in a given class shy away from UConn. The UConn staff is well aware of this dynamic, and and to date, they've been able to successfully work around this exiguous handicap.
Hey, watch it with the 75-cent words, will ya? :rolleyes: :confused::eek::cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
The UConn staff is well aware of this dynamic, and and to date, they've been able to successfully work around this exiguous handicap.
What a word, exiguous. Never heard it before. Totally unnecessary in the context, but I love it. Learned a new word. Cool.[/QUOTE]

exiguous: Scanty, meager, small. Thanks for the nod. :cool:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I think it was a mezzo-quality conversation between two men who had done some prep (maybe) but seemed to miss or overlook a lot. One reason UConn always has really, really good players is the really, really good coaches and the quality of the program top-to-bottom.

Lots of teams get blue-chip recruits. Why haven't those other teams claimed eleven championships? Maybe the answer is not so simple.

At one point, one guy said that deciding to attend UConn (instead of opposing them) and to play for Geno amounted to taking the easy way out. Ommagosh. Easy? Easy??

Carnac

Reaction Score
The UConn staff is well aware of this dynamic, and and to date, they've been able to successfully work around this exiguous handicap.
What a word, exiguous. Never heard it before. Totally unnecessary in the context, but I love it. Learned a new word. Cool.[/QUOTE]

Cosell would have been proud of me. ;)

Reaction Score
What a word, exiguous. Never heard it before. Totally unnecessary in the context, but I love it. Learned a new word. Cool.

Cosell would have been proud of me. ;)[/QUOTE]
So true. So Cosell. Indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member