Good Performance Tonight | The Boneyard

Good Performance Tonight

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Overall good performance tonight, especially fighting through adversity. Hopefully this will get the ball rolling again, especially for players like Vital and Purvis. And hopefully we'll get some bodies healthy again soon...

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
With such a limited number of players fatigue tends to lead to some bad stretches but like you said, overall a good game.

Reaction Score
Actually all things considered it was an exceptional game. Limited players and no one fouled out, we maintained the lead, and closed out (i.e. finished) the game.

Sure it was ECU but like I said all things considered lets give them a lot of kudos, it was not a normal game situation for our team.

Reaction Score
Good win, 6 players all had their part in it. Nice start, played smart but you have to just bang your head on the wall as to why you start playing conservative with a 20 point lead so early. They were playing so well then stopped being aggressive, I blame that partly on the coaching maybe mostly. As soon as guys started to stop attacking on 3 on2 and 4 on 3 breaks they need to bring them in and stay keep attacking.

But seriously overall give them credit, they got the job done while playing just 6 guys - well done

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
They were playing so well then stopped being aggressive, I blame that partly on the coaching maybe mostly. As soon as guys started to stop attacking on 3 on2 and 4 on 3 breaks they need to bring them in and stay keep attacking.
This was directly correlated to us getting killed on the boards. We were outrebounding them 18-4 over the first 12 mins as we built that 20-point lead, and then got out-rebounded 30-19 the rest of the way.

Durham would've helped a lot tonight.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Good win, 6 players all had their part in it. Nice start, played smart but you have to just bang your head on the wall as to why you start playing conservative with a 20 point lead so early. They were playing so well then stopped being aggressive, I blame that partly on the coaching maybe mostly. As soon as guys started to stop attacking on 3 on2 and 4 on 3 breaks they need to bring them in and stay keep attacking.

But seriously overall give them credit, they got the job done while playing just 6 guys - well done

I'm with you on this. I know the mind set is typically trying to manage the fatigue for the 6 that you can play. To me, I'd rather tell the guards to continue the pressure and I would try to steal a minute or two with a walk on.

Obviously risky when considering the drop off in talent, but have the walk ons run like hell while rotating the starting guards for a short while. It's worth the chance, I think...

Reaction Score
Good win, only caught the second half but the offense looked better. Rebounding was pretty bad from what I saw though, but we apparently dominated the boards in the 1st half. I still think we need to get Facey the ball more, his moves have improved a lot and he has a good mid range game. Also want him to show off what he has in his arsenal as much as he can, hoping for him to get a real shot at the league.

Reaction Score
Good win, only caught the second half but the offense looked better. Rebounding was pretty bad from what I saw though, but we apparently dominated the boards in the 1st half. I still think we need to get Facey the ball more, his moves have improved a lot and he has a good mid range game. Also want him to show off what he has in his arsenal as much as he can, hoping for him to get a real shot at the league.

Kentan had a real nice low post move and a score in the first half which was called off for a travel which didn't happen. He's done some nice things. Amida also had a couple nice moves but most impressive may have been the late catch on the sprint from a back pass from Jalen - caught it finished very nice for him.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
They were playing so well then stopped being aggressive, I blame that partly on the coaching maybe mostly. As soon as guys started to stop attacking on 3 on2 and 4 on 3 breaks they need to bring them in and stay keep attacking.
I agree. This has happened often. Didn't this happen in the Georgetown game? It has to be a coaching call. Who would want to take away a killer instinct.

Reaction Score
It was a really good game, considering the circumstances. And probably one of Purvis' best games this year. It was only his 3rd game shooting 50% or better from the field.

But, does anyone else really want to see a highlight reel of all of Purvis' -5 point swings? Purvis goes for a fast break. Doesn't have numbers. Loses ball. Opponent makes a 3 immediately.

It must have happened at least 5 times this year so far. You'd think it'd only take 2 to learn your lesson permanently.

Reaction Score
The screens Facey set inside the key setting up little curls for Vital and Purvis were money. They created a good amount of separation for short jumpers or allowed them or Facey to cut to the rim for an easy bucket.

More of that would be great, because we can't expect our guards to create off the dribble every time we are in a half court set.

The offense scoring this much without Jackson having a good shooting night was pretty nice. Purvis needs to keep trying to find open space inside the arc. The whole team played within themselves and it made the offense a lot less ugly.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Guess I saw a different game because when that lead hit twenty what I saw was a lot of play by our players on the offensive end that was one on one instead of setting up shots That led to a lot of transition scoring by ECU or our defense not being able to set up well. Kentan and Rodney were the only ones playing within the team concept during that stretch.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yep, overall a nice performance. But our last two minutes are a clinic on what not to do with a lead.

It was a really good game, considering the circumstances. And probably one of Purvis' best games this year. It was only his 3rd game shooting 50% or better from the field.

But, does anyone else really want to see a highlight reel of all of Purvis' -5 point swings? Purvis goes for a fast break. Doesn't have numbers. Loses ball. Opponent makes a 3 immediately.

It must have happened at least 5 times this year so far. You'd think it'd only take 2 to learn your lesson permanently.
If he followed this advice ECU wins.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Please don't ever volunteer at a suicide hotline.

Given his issues in his personal life, I think that was over the line.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom