Good news? PAC12/B1G scheduling pact OFF! | The Boneyard

Good news? PAC12/B1G scheduling pact OFF!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If there was such a thing as a smart Big East FB commissioner, that person would already be on the phone asking, "What do we need to do to.make this.happen today?"

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Scheduling B1G and ACC schools would be a good thing for UCONN going forward even if the deals have to be two for ones because UCONN needs to build and develop relationships with those conferences if UCONN is ever going to get invited to join either. Especially with the ACC because a number of ACC schools still say 'no way' to adding UCONN because of the lawsuit.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Other than the NBE what conferences would be able to replace the Pac12 in this arrangement with the B10?. Would the ACC or SEC be able to do it?

pj

Reaction Score
Observer - Your avatar is a really accurate description of the reality-level of your posts. Glad to see you are self-aware.

Reaction Score
Observer - Your avatar is a really accurate description of the reality-level of your posts. Glad to see you are self-aware.

Whenever you are grown up enough to present a cogent, intelligent and logical counter argument to one of my posts I am all ears.

Reaction Score
"The main problem: the Pac-12 currently plays nine league games per season, while the Big Ten plays only eight. Pac-12 members such as USC and Stanford, who both also have annual games against Notre Dame, would have added a Big Ten opponent to an already taxing slate. Other Pac-12 schools have regular scheduling agreements with opponents outside the league, such as Utah-BYU."

I see this as a fall-out/casualty of the new play-off system. While SOS is important - minimizing potential losses is also important on the go-forward.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
"The main problem: the Pac-12 currently plays nine league games per season, while the Big Ten plays only eight. Pac-12 members such as USC and Stanford, who both also have annual games against Notre Dame, would have added a Big Ten opponent to an already taxing slate. Other Pac-12 schools have regular scheduling agreements with opponents outside the league, such as Utah-BYU."

I see this as a fall-out/casualty of the new play-off system. While SOS is important - minimizing potential losses is also important on the go-forward.

Which is exactly why the B1G should consider a scheduling agreement with the BE. If the B1G is so super awesome on a candy bar, they would welcome upgrading their SOS by replacing a MAC home game with BE ones and adding another guarantee home games in years they visit BE teams.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I somewhat agree with observer although I give less weight to the old lawsuit than he does. I'm of the opinion that if any ACC school (outside of the numpties at BCU) would vote against UCONN because of that lawsuit then they aren't very bright. UCONN does need to develop relationships and I feel two for ones (only for top echelon schools) would be a good way to do that. ACC schools that I would consider to be top echelon would be FSU and VTech. If Syracuse approached I'd coinsider a two for one but we'd have to host the 2 for 1.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't think this is anything more than the realization that the scheduling pact didn't really help either league. I see the Pac 12 seriously considering dropping back to an 8 team schedule. Scheduling flexibility will be important to get schools into the playoff. The Pac 12 went to 9 because a) eastern schools were not interested in scheduling Pac 12 schools because it doesn't help recruiting (I believe Hathaway actually said something like this once), b) the MWC schools were demanding 1 for 1's and c) they couldn't get MAC, CUSA and Sun Belt schools to fly west for guarantee games when it was easier and more lucrative to sell their schedules to SEC and Big 10 schools.

With the MWC now equivalent to CUSA or the MAC, I think more guarantee games will be available for the Pac 12 schools.

pj

Reaction Score
Whenever you are grown up enough to present a cogent, intelligent and logical counter argument to one of my posts I am all ears.

OK. One, the lawsuit is ancient history, realignment is all about money and if analysts say UConn will bring the most money to the ACC, UConn will get the invite. Two, 2-for-1 scheduling deals would not "build relationships" for realignment and are not going to happen, unless they're part of a larger deal: with Notre Dame in support of ND tieing in to a major bowl with the NBE champion, or with Michigan/OSU in exchange for future entry into the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
I somewhat agree with observer although I give less weight to the old lawsuit than he does. I'm of the opinion that if any ACC school (outside of the numpties at BCU) would vote against UCONN because of that lawsuit then they aren't very bright. UCONN does need to develop relationships and I feel two for ones (only for top echelon schools) would be a good way to do that. ACC schools that I would consider to be top echelon would be FSU and VTech. If Syracuse approached I'd coinsider a two for one but we'd have to host the 2 for 1.

Let me make sure I get this again. BC remains morally outraged about the lawsuit, but will schedule UConn in any sport other than football. Got it.

BC doesn't want us in the ACC, and doesn't want to play us in football, for economic, marketing, and competitive reasons. It has nothing to do with the lawsuit. De Fillippo doesn't seem to care when they play us in baseball, or soccer, or field hockey, or don't object to us joining Hockey East.

Reaction Score
I htink nelson is on the money with this one. The PAC went to a 9 game league schedule because it was tough to schedule eastern schools and getting too costly to schedule MWC games. When the first announced their 9 game schedule they weren't going to count the 9th in the league standings, it was just a convenience thing, though the changed that pretty quickly.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Let me make sure I get this again. BC remains morally outraged about the lawsuit, but will schedule UConn in any sport other than football. Got it.

BC doesn't want us in the ACC, and doesn't want to play us in football, for economic, marketing, and competitive reasons. It has nothing to do with the lawsuit. De Fillippo doesn't seem to care when they play us in baseball, or soccer, or field hockey, or don't object to us joining Hockey East.

I'm not sure how you get morally outraged from my post but if you want to make that leap, your welcome to...I guess.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how you get morally outraged from my post but if you want to make that leap, your welcome to...I guess.

I was responding to him as much as you. BC's role in blocking us, and everyone elses in the ACC's view on us, is based on self interest. Not picking us out of a group to blame for the lawsuits. For goodness sakes, it was Nordenberg -- the Pitt Chancelor -- who was the spokesman for the Big East. Not anyone from UConn. It's not like the ACC forgot that. It's that it just isn't important.

Reaction Score
Back to the topic.

Yes, this is good news for the Big East. Some won't replace that game with anothe rBCS game but many hopefully will. they are no longer locked into that PAC 12 game making it near impossible to get games against BTEN12 teams

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
For the record I am sour on the Newest Big East, but if SOS is truly a part of the criteria for the playoffs the league is in a scheduling sweet spot.

Reaction Score
For the record I am sour on the Newest Big East, but if SOS is truly a part of the criteria for the playoffs the league is in a scheduling sweet spot.

The SEC still won't have to play anyone OOC. I'm hoping we play some more Big 12 teams.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thanks for finally going on the record, you've been so non committal until now.

Sorry for not having a deep love of Memphis and Temple. I know Its wrong to not want to be associated with the relative scum of FBS. Its much better to pretend NBC is a knight in shining armor.

Reaction Score

In other breaking news, TDH thinks we need to throw more and better, I think Edsall did a very good job while here and HFDtypes/andmakesothercommentswithoutpunctuation/andsimilarniceties. Oh -- and Palatine gets angry about football and politics.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
In other breaking news, TDH thinks we need to throw more and better, I think Edsall did a very good job while here and HFDtypes/andmakesothercommentswithoutpunctuation/andsimilarniceties. Oh -- and Palatine gets angry about football and politics.

Fantastic summary! Carl is currently writing a novel to celebrate it (he's called in Navy battleships to help in the celebration), Nelson is telling people not to believe you because you aren't a university president, and I'm almost done composing another realistic argument for how UConn will go 13-0 this year. I haven't finished yet, because I just clicked "like" on another 15 posts and finished my last post with too many of my patented................... :cool: (emoticon to put the post into "epic" classification)

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I have them 12-1, losing at the last second in the national championship game when the refs let USC have 5 downs on the last series:

For the record, I clicked "like" on your post....................... ;)

Reactions: pj

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
BC doesn't want us in the ACC, and doesn't want to play us in football, for economic, marketing, and competitive reasons. It has nothing to do with the lawsuit.

That's the whole truth. That's why they stabbed the Big East in the back, lied and acted in bad faith. They are that scared of UConn. Events have shown that they would rather tank FB and BB than compete heads-up with UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom