Good news for UConn baseball broadcaster Chris Jones | The Boneyard

Good news for UConn baseball broadcaster Chris Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

UConn Baseball
@UConnBaseball

We'd like to congratulate #UConn broadcaster @JonesCcj on his new position with the Connecticut Tigers! #BleedBluepic.twitter.com/OMesPEsvfT
6:22 AM - 12 Apr 2016 from Storrs, CT
Cf2Fmz5UkAAdb9-.jpg:small

Reaction Score
Being on the road a lot - I listen to a lot of baseball radio/streaming. Kid's got a bright future and I will rue the day he moves on from UConn.

Reaction Score
Being on the road a lot - I listen to a lot of baseball radio/streaming. Kid's got a bright future and I will rue the day he moves on from UConn.

Totally agree. WHUS and UConn baseball has been absolutely blessed to have Chris Jones doing the games for the last several years. Not only is Chris Jones good at doing the games, but his commitment to broadcasting UConn baseball has made it easy for WHUS to carry the games home and away. I too rue the day that he isn’t able to do UConn baseball. Before Chris Jones arrived at WHUS never broadcast the full home and away baseball schedule, this was pretty much his doing. Who knows if WHUS will have the same commitment to carrying all the UConn baseball games if and when Chris Jones moves on to other things such as a paying gig broadcasting baseball games somewhere else. At the very least WHUS would have to find others in their sports department willing to travel to faraway places throughout the late winter and spring, and I’m not sure that would be such an easy task.

Anyway, my wife and I live in Norwich and we have season tickets to the Connecticut Tigers. When we are not at the games we often have the Tigers games on the radio during the summer, so we will be getting more of Chris Jones this year. We are quite happy with this development, to the extent that my wife ended up retweeting the UConn Baseball announcement that I posted to start this thread. Chris Jones does his research, he’s knowledgeable, and has an easy going style that for me wears well for long term listening. Above all he doesn’t try to force his opinions down the listener’s throat. By contrast, my wife and I are also Yankee fans, and we both find John Sterling (who among other things is basically one forceful opinion after another) to be an abysmal listening experience.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Totally agree. WHUS and UConn baseball has been absolutely blessed to have Chris Jones doing the games for the last several years. Not only is Chris Jones good at doing the games, but his commitment to broadcasting UConn baseball has made it easy for WHUS to carry the games home and away. I too rue the day that he isn’t able to do UConn baseball. Before Chris Jones arrived at WHUS never broadcast the full home and away baseball schedule, this was pretty much his doing. Who knows if WHUS will have the same commitment to carrying all the UConn baseball games if and when Chris Jones moves on to other things such as a paying gig broadcasting baseball games somewhere else. At the very least WHUS would have to find others in their sports department willing to travel to faraway places throughout the late winter and spring, and I’m not sure that would be such an easy task.

Anyway, my wife and I live in Norwich and we have season tickets to the Connecticut Tigers. When we are not at the games we often have the Tigers games on the radio during the summer, so we will be getting more of Chris Jones this year. We are quite happy with this development, to the extent that my wife ended up retweeting the UConn Baseball announcement that I posted to start this thread. Chris Jones does his research, he’s knowledgeable, and has an easy going style that for me wears well for long term listening. Above all he doesn’t try to force his opinions down the listener’s throat. By contrast, my wife and I are also Yankee fans, and we both find John Sterling (who among other things is basically one forceful opinion after another) to be an abysmal listening experience.

One of my old HS buddies has been doing some work for WHUS this season, going on some of the road trips with Chris. I don't want to comment anything until there's an official announcement, but if he does end up replacing Chris, he'll be just as excellent.

Reaction Score
Tomorrow night will be the opening game on the Connecticut Tigers schedule, which means Chris Jones will be broadcasting his first pro game. In the Norwich area, the games are on WICH-AM 1310 on the dial, and the Tigers also stream the games from their website. Last night the Tigers held a preseason barbecue for season ticket holders and host families, and introduced the team to those present. My wife and I went, and got a chance to say hello to Chris. Needless to say, he is quite thrilled at this opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom