Good news: Crystal had a good week

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
RE: Crystal ---

Great to hear..... bad for the rest of WCBB :D

Sounds like she recovered from the initial 'shock' of UCONN practice intensity and expectations just the way fans and the coaches hoped she would. I'm looking forward to signs of her early progress tomorrow !

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
"When something goes wrong, it's YOUR fault" is an overwhelming message.

Crystal may be as talented a PG as we've had. She also can text Mo for guidance. I'll be surprised if CD doesn't look like a future (or current) star by March.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
"When something goes wrong, it's YOUR fault" is an overwhelming message.

Crystal may be as talented a PG as we've had. She also can text Mo for guidance. I'll be surprised if CD doesn't look like a future (or current) star by March.

I think she'll have less of an issue with "going too fast" all the time like Mo did early on. She seems a little more in control of her own pace.

The keys to the Ferrari are back hanging in Geno's office, having been turned back in by Mo upon graduating. Sounds like it's PG by committee for a little while at least, so it will some time before Crystal gets sole possession of those keys. But she will have them at some point.

Reaction Score
I can't read the Courant article it thinks I read 5 articles this month.
But if Geno thinks Crystal is doing great--that's a huge step--VAMike---I've been predicting that sometime after Dec Crystal shall be the "main' point . After the NCAA's begin she'll be the point. I believe between now and end of Dec--Bent/Chong/Crystal shall be used in a mix and match of fast tough guards maybe all together at times.

Super good news I HOPE. Geno told Bird way back in the dark ages--what ever goes wrong on the floor by any player is YOUR Fault.
Shea was Captain--Sue was point--Shea is/was Confident--at times (according to an article written about Sue) Shea took over directing the team--and Sue was the responsible point.So, this isn't new with Geno---if you are his point guard--everything and anything is your fault--so develop broad shoulders-early.. If you are the right kind of kid--you puff out your chest and say--Geno trusts me to run his team.. That makes it MY team..

Reaction Score
Seriously, has Geno ever before in preseason previewed his team this way? He's looking for a silver lining everywhere, boosting all his "guys" anyway he can, and, when he is critical, it's just to say that it's part of the learning process.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Nothing has changed since the beginning of the season, and won't during the season. Geno lamented: "How fast can you play when everybody you're putting in, when [the starters] get tired or in foul trouble, has no experience whatsoever? So what are we going to do? How are we going to minimize the damage of the fact that we're not that big, and yet at the same time we can't afford to have any of those guys on the bench for long stretches at a time? So it's going to have to be a trial and error kind of thing until we feel comfortable that we've got seven or eight and right now we're not at that comfort level yet". It could be awhile before the coaches find that comfort level.

Aahhh, there's the rub. That dynamic manifested itself right after the BIG 3 graduated, and will remain in existence throughout the duration of the season. Geno has a short bench. Everyone knows that. The staff saw this coming back in April, so they no doubt have been working on, and formulating contingency plans. This is not their first rodeo. They've seen this before.

Until the bench players can come up to speed (and experience), and be able to go into the game, and give the starters a blow, or sub for them for extended periods of time in case of injury or foul trouble without any drop off, the starters are going to have to play smart, and play under control. This means they must play without fouling, and play for long periods of time without fatigue.

I commented in an earlier post over the summer regarding this scenario, that in MY humble opinion (some may disagree) Saniya Chong & Natalie Butler are the keys to the team's success this year. They MUST play at a high level, and do it successfully all year, or the team falters. The Core 4 cannot carry this team alone. If Chong & Butler falter, Geno will have no other choice than to turn to his freshmen.

I think the "Core 4" will play and produce as expected. We pretty much know what they will do. Everyone else is a question mark until they prove other wise. This year's freshmen class won't have the luxury of taking their time to ripen, mature and come along slowly. Their services are going to be needed almost immediately. The team's fortunes rest solely on how fast they can come up to speed, and play within the system effectively.

We know the team is eager to begin the season, we all are. I look for them to impress early on. The good thing is the other teams the Huskies we'll be playing are still trying to fine tune their game plans (starting units) as well. I doubt UConn will encounter any team early in the season that is already clicking on all cylinders. Most will still be trying to fine the right mix of players, that work best together, and trying to execute their offensive and defensive assignments and game plans.

One thing we know, teams that play UConn, generally do not play a lot of players. Opposing coaches generally don't play more than 7-8 players. Even though they may boast a hearty 14-15 player roster, only 2-3 of them will see the floor. They know if they find themselves down early, most bench players won't help bring them back.

Based on what I saw from the freshmen in the exhibition games, I think we're going to be OK. I was extremely impressed with all three, with their aggressiveness and their no non sense approach. As the season goes forward, we know the more comfortable and experienced they will become.

When this happens, Geno will be less apprehensive to put them on the floor while the game is still in doubt. Today is the last day without UConn women's (regular season) basketball until April. The wait is finally over. It was a looooong, but very rewarding summer. Geno and staff did an outstanding job in bring in six new coveted (and much needed) players. It's time to break the seal on another new and exciting season of women's college basketball, UConn style. Enjoy the season everyone. :)

Reaction Score
I can't read the Courant article it thinks I read 5 articles this month.
But if Geno thinks Crystal is doing great--that's a huge step--VAMike---I've been predicting that sometime after Dec Crystal shall be the "main' point . After the NCAA's begin she'll be the point. I believe between now and end of Dec--Bent/Chong/Crystal shall be used in a mix and match of fast tough guards maybe all together at times.

Super good news I HOPE. Geno told Bird way back in the dark ages--what ever goes wrong on the floor by any player is YOUR Fault.
Shea was Captain--Sue was point--Shea is/was Confident--at times (according to an article written about Sue) Shea took over directing the team--and Sue was the responsible point.So, this isn't new with Geno---if you are his point guard--everything and anything is your fault--so develop broad shoulders-early.. If you are the right kind of kid--you puff out your chest and say--Geno trusts me to run his team.. That makes it MY team..
Courant gives me 10/month (?). Anyway I'm over my limit, but this always works: Copy the live link (name of article) from the BY post, paste it (or just type it) into your search engine, and search. Courant article will generally be the first search result. Click and read. I have never been blocked by the Courant using this method.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I bought 10 weeks of the Courant online for $4.90. I thought it was a bargain.

Reaction Score
Courant gives me 10/month (?). Anyway I'm over my limit, but this always works: Copy the live link (name of article) from the BY post, paste it (or just type it) into your search engine, and search. Courant article will generally be the first search result. Click and read. I have never been blocked by the Courant using this method.
An even easier way is just right click on the article and use incognito mode. has never failed me yet.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nothing has changed since the beginning of the season, and won't during the season. Geno lamented: "How fast can you play when everybody you're putting in, when [the starters] get tired or in foul trouble, has no experience whatsoever? So what are we going to do? How are we going to minimize the damage of the fact that we're not that big, and yet at the same time we can't afford to have any of those guys on the bench for long stretches at a time? So it's going to have to be a trial and error kind of thing until we feel comfortable that we've got seven or eight and right now we're not at that comfort level yet". It could be awhile before the coaches find that comfort level.

Aahhh, there's the rub. That dynamic manifested itself right after the BIG 3 graduated, and will remain in existence throughout the duration of the season. Geno has a short bench. Everyone knows that. The staff saw this coming back in April, so they no doubt have been working on, and formulating contingency plans. This is not their first rodeo. They've seen this before.

Until the bench players can come up to speed (and experience), and be able to go into the game, and give the starters a blow, or sub for them for extended periods of time in case of injury or foul trouble without any drop off, the starters are going to have to play smart, and play under control. This means they must play without fouling, and play for long periods of time without fatigue.

I commented in an earlier post over the summer regarding this scenario, that in MY humble opinion (some may disagree) Saniya Chong & Natalie Butler are the keys to the team's success this year. They MUST play at a high level, and do it successfully all year, or the team falters. The Core 4 cannot carry this team alone. If Chong & Butler falter, Geno will have no other choice than to turn to his freshmen.

I think the "Core 4" will play and produce as expected. We pretty much know what they will do. Everyone else is a question mark until they prove other wise. This year's freshmen class won't have the luxury of taking their time to ripen, mature and come along slowly. Their services are going to be needed almost immediately. The team's fortunes rest solely on how fast they can come up to speed, and play within the system effectively.

We know the team is eager to begin the season, we all are. I look for them to impress early on. The good thing is the other teams the Huskies we'll be playing are still trying to fine tune their game plans (starting units) as well. I doubt UConn will encounter any team early in the season that is already clicking on all cylinders. Most will still be trying to fine the right mix of players, that work best together, and trying to execute their offensive and defensive assignments and game plans.

One thing we know, teams that play UConn, generally do not play a lot of players. Opposing coaches generally don't play more than 7-8 players. Even though they may boast a hearty 14-15 player roster, only 2-3 of them will see the floor. They know if they find themselves down early, most bench players won't help bring them back.

Based on what I saw from the freshmen in the exhibition games, I think we're going to be OK. I was extremely impressed with all three, with their aggressiveness and their no non sense approach. As the season goes forward, we know the more comfortable and experienced they will become.

When this happens, Geno will be less apprehensive to put them on the floor while the game is still in doubt. Today is the last day without UConn women's (regular season) basketball until April. The wait is finally over. It was a looooong, but very rewarding summer. Geno and staff did an outstanding job in bring in six new coveted (and much needed) players. It's time to break the seal on another new and exciting season of women's college basketball, UConn style. Enjoy the season everyone. :)
Carnac, obviously you can see the future better than I can. ;)

I agree about the importance of Natalie and Saniya, but I have a more optimistic view. I think, if they play well, we are really, really good. Channeling my inner Tony, I haven't conceded ANY games this year, though playing at ND will be very tough. If Natalie and Saniya are inconsistent, I think our other players are good enough to get us to the Final Four with only 2-3 losses at most. If Saniya plays like senior Ketia and Natalie plays like freshman/sophomore Stefanie, I think we are the team to beat.

Reaction Score
An even easier way is just right click on the article and use incognito mode. has never failed me yet.
Cool - didn't know about that. Just tried it, and...VIOLA!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Cool - didn't know about that. Just tried it, and...VIOLA!!
Voila or viola? ;)

GP-111

Reaction Score
T

Thanks --I'll try that next time. I stopped viewing the Courant because of the admonitions ---I get all my other news from sources other than the Courant--I followed John A --but haven't done that in a long time. So don't feel alone with the 5 read ding--- I'm not cheap, I'm not poor, but something about the 5 bucks or so per month does not sit well to read what is usually free elsewhere. One day i'll be forced to pay my way on the internet with publications--i know it's coming --
Again thanks for the copy header info.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Carnac, obviously you can see the future better than I can. ;)

I agree about the importance of Natalie and Saniya, but I have a more optimistic view. I think, if they play well, we are really, really good. Channeling my inner Tony, I haven't conceded ANY games this year, though playing at ND will be very tough. If Natalie and Saniya are inconsistent, I think our other players are good enough to get us to the Final Four with only 2-3 losses at most. If Saniya plays like senior Ketia and Natalie plays like freshman/sophomore Stefanie, I think we are the team to beat.

Milford, check back with me in 10 days. I'll know then the level of my optimism for the next couple of months. Right now, tonight, I'm as optimistic as you are. I said I think we'll be OK. I have to see the team in some intense battles under fire, against teams that are a worthy (top10) opponent.

IF UConn is 2-0 after the Baylor game, of course my optimism will grow appreciably. We're drinking the same kool-aid with respect to conceding any games. I only predict UConn wins, not losses. Predicting losses for your team is bad Mojo. I stay away from that. Far away!!! I am predicting a UConn victory tomorrow.
The envelope sez........UConn 70 FSU 55. Go Huskies. :cool:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Geno on all the freshmen...

Dangerfield:

"She's really good. She's going to have to buckle down a little bit. But she's really talented, she's really smart. She sees things. She picks things up really quickly. Little by little we're getting her to play at our pace. Everyday, she's getting a little better."

Bent:

"She works really hard. She's got a pretty good understanding of what's going on out there. Just like any young player, she dribbles too much at times. She's not quite sure. She's used to just dribbling the ball and going. So when it's somewhat organized, she has a little bit of an issue slowing down and letting everything develop. She's in a hurry to make things develop. But she gets better everyday. She's very tough physically, she's in great shape and she has some skills."

Irwin:

"She does a lot of little things pretty well. She's very comfortable with the ball in her hands. She's comfortable shooting it, she's comfortable throwing a pass. Again, like most freshmen, she's in a hurry and sometimes that gets in her way. Right now, she's exactly what I thought she would be."

UConn Women: Meet The Newcomers, Three To Get Ready

Reaction Score
Geno on all the freshmen...

Dangerfield:

"She's really good. She's going to have to buckle down a little bit. But she's really talented, she's really smart. She sees things. She picks things up really quickly. Little by little we're getting her to play at our pace. Everyday, she's getting a little better."

Bent:

"She works really hard. She's got a pretty good understanding of what's going on out there. Just like any young player, she dribbles too much at times. She's not quite sure. She's used to just dribbling the ball and going. So when it's somewhat organized, she has a little bit of an issue slowing down and letting everything develop. She's in a hurry to make things develop. But she gets better everyday. She's very tough physically, she's in great shape and she has some skills."

Sluconn--thanks for finding this for me/us.
A single common thread , per Geno , runs through the Freshmen: They are rushing thing--in a hurry to get the play moving--a common fault for nearly everyone when new in some event/action/theatrical play. When they feel more comfortable everything will come together-------also it appears MAyBE Geno is in a hurry with their development.

Irwin:

"She does a lot of little things pretty well. She's very comfortable with the ball in her hands. She's comfortable shooting it, she's comfortable throwing a pass. Again, like most freshmen, she's in a hurry and sometimes that gets in her way. Right now, she's exactly what I thought she would be."

UConn Women: Meet The Newcomers, Three To Get Ready

Reaction Score
Milford, check back with me in 10 days. I'll know then the level of my optimism for the next couple of months. Right now, tonight, I'm as optimistic as you are. I said I think we'll be OK. I have to see the team in some intense battles under fire, against teams that are a worthy (top10) opponent.

IF UConn is 2-0 after the Baylor game, of course my optimism will grow appreciably. We're drinking the same kool-aid with respect to conceding any games. I only predict UConn wins, not losses. Predicting losses for your team is bad Mojo. I stay away from that. Far away!!! I am predicting a UConn victory tomorrow.
The envelope sez...UConn 70 FSU 55. Go Huskies. :cool:

Optimism maintenance is important. Accept some bumps--this is a DIFFERENT Uconn team. They shall try to find their identity --their leaders--their go to guys. That does not happen in two exhibition games.
Good true fans will --ride with the bumps--and accept what they have. And that isn't peanut butter.
I agree with your view of MoJo--put the negatives in the closet.
Geno/Uconn WBB team won't concede any game--why should we?? OPTIMISM is the key going forward.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This team at this moment in time really does remind me of the 2002-3 team. No one knew anything going into that year except that we had Diana coming back for two more years and she was pretty special, and that we had a very interesting class of freshman. That team proceeded to win against the odds throughout the regular season, but was upset by Villanova in their 32nd game to cap the then record 70 game win streak.
The difference is of course we do not have an 'established' DT - the undisputed junior leader. We do however have a couple of established juniors in Gabby and Kia, and two strong sophomores. Jessica Moore's experience might be deemed similar to Natalie's, Chong to Conlon? Turner-Kyla, Molly to Nicole, Ann to Lou, Danger to Battle - while the comparison vary a little by year, the team is really quite similar with untested players filling new roles and a generally height challenged team. The schedule this year is probably a little more front loaded, while the conference schedule is easier, and I would say there is a broader spread of strong teams at the top.
Looking forward to how this season unfolds.

[The other difference of course is in the reinforcements coming in the next year - the signees for the 2003-4 season were Liz Sherwood and Kiana Robinson, neither of whom lasted at Uconn]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom