OT: Good Mexican Food in CT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Good Mexican Food in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why? I've had Mexican in the northeast that's been just as good.

Either I'm extremely hard to impress or your easily impressed with the Mexican food here but I'll respect your opinion. I wish I could find a place here that could replicate the Mexican food I've had. I am glad you've found a couple places.

Reaction Score
I don't know what your question is? Why does northeast Mexican food stink compared to other parts of the country?

It was a reply to Kev's question/challenge about whether SW Mexican can be replicated in the NE. I wrote, why not?

Reaction Score
Either I'm extremely hard to impress or your easily impressed with the Mexican food here but I'll respect your opinion. I wish I could find a place here that could replicate the Mexican food I've had. I am glad you've found a couple places.

I don't live in Ct. and haven't eaten it in Ct. But I have eaten it in Mexico, San Diego, Providence, Portsmouth and upstate NY (place called El Rincon in Sodus).

Reaction Score
I think anything can be replicated anywhere if you have the right chefs/preparation and ingredients. I can't ever remember having really good Mexican food anywhere in the northeast and when I lived in the northeast I thought Mexican food was all pretty much the same and didn't offer much variety, I couldn't have been more mistaken.

Reaction Score
I think anything can be replicated anywhere if you have the right chefs/preparation and ingredients. I can't ever remember having really good Mexican food anywhere in the northeast and when I lived in the northeast I thought Mexican food was all pretty much the same and didn't offer much variety, I couldn't have been more mistaken.

I go down to Mexico a lot, maybe 7 times in last 11 years, twice to Baja, once to Oaxaca, 4 times to Tulum and Playa Del Carmen. I like Mexican food. I've had it in California as well. I have found places that are just as good here in the northeast. But I also recognized that they were run by Mexican immigrants serving authentic dishes like pozole or menudo or goat or tongue or even pata, feet. These places were just as good. The faux Mexican places you see here in the northeast also exist in California and the southwest, as I can attest. It's much easier finding good Mexican down south but not very hard finding it up here. At least in my experience. There's El Rincon in CNY, El Mariachi in Albany, and I'm sure NYC has good ones. My favorite is Garibaldi in Providence.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
and I'm sure NYC has good ones.
Rosa Mexicano is very good in terms of nicer Mexican places in NYC; not as good as Hugo's in Houston imo, but similar. Hell's Kitchen has a lot of authentic Mexican places; I've been to Tulcingo Del Valle, which is a combination Mexican grocery and restaurant. I thought it was good and authentic, particularly the mole, which is a favorite of mine.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Iguanas ranas in middletown is ok.

There are some decent places in lower Fairfield county . Right over the border in port chester there is a plethora of street taco style places.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Iguanas ranas in middletown is ok.

There are some decent places in lower Fairfield county . Right over the border in port chester there is a plethora of street taco style places.
Yep, Port Chester is loaded with good Mexican places. Great for Cap pre-show.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
To address the OP's original query, if he takes his girl to a place that serves really authentic Mexican, but she thinks of Mexican as Chipotle or El Torrito, she might be very disappointed, because it won't match her expectations. Good is in the eye of the beholder, after all.

My wife and I were in Little Rock some time back. Uhm, Clinton wasn't pres yet, so I guess it was a looong time back. Anyway, asked the concierge where to get good Mexican. He gave us a place and called us a cab. The cab driver looks at us like we're crazy. "You want Mexican or Tex-Mex," he asks. Mexican, we say. "He says let me take you to the place I go for Mexican."

I wish I could remember the name of he place. It was some of the best Mexican food I've ever had. Not fancy, and everyone in the building appeared to be Mexican.

Best part was the cabbie. He said, "It's going to take you an hour in there. Don't call a cab. I'll come back for you." He knew that once we'd eaten, he'd get a hell of a tip on the return ride after steering us there. I'm pretty sure though, that the hotel concierge wouldn't have liked it as much at the tex-mex chain he recommended.

I also once drove an hour and a half from where we were staying in VA to go to a place in NC that we'd eaten at before, just because their black bean soup had been spectacular. And they didn't have it on the menu that night. Turns out, they only had it when a specific bus boy was working, because he was Mexican and he was the one who made the black bean soup. We just happened to go on his night off. The French Onion we got instead was palatable, but uninspiring.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I go down to Mexico a lot, maybe 7 times in last 11 years, twice to Baja, once to Oaxaca, 4 times to Tulum and Playa Del Carmen. I like Mexican food. I've had it in California as well. I have found places that are just as good here in the northeast. But I also recognized that they were run by Mexican immigrants serving authentic dishes like pozole or menudo or goat or tongue or even pata, feet. These places were just as good. The faux Mexican places you see here in the northeast also exist in California and the southwest, as I can attest. It's much easier finding good Mexican down south but not very hard finding it up here. At least in my experience. There's El Rincon in CNY, El Mariachi in Albany, and I'm sure NYC has good ones. My favorite is Garibaldi in Providence.
Agreed, it is possible to find good Mexican food, like any other type of cuisine in this region. I think the issue is that far fewer of the really good authentic places exist (purely out of demographics when comparing the northeast with states along the border) and a lot of the word of mouth suggestions that you get in this region turn out to be really bad because they've just never experienced anything authentic.

Reaction Score
I remember eating at Oaxaca Kitchen in New Haven and thinking it was decent, but I had consumed enough to drink before the food arrived that I was barely functioning.

Reaction Score
If anyone is near Southington, go to Senor Salsa's. Pretty good burritos, they pack em thick with stuff unlike Moe's or Chipotle. And its cheaper.

I second your recommendation. I have been there several times and really enjoyed the food. It is a small hole in the wall place located on the Waterbury - Meriden road (rt. 322). Small dining area but they do a pretty good take out business. They have only been open for 8 months or so but already have a good sized following.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
3rd vote for Besito in West Hartford. For me all Mexican places are the same, but Besito's a cut above the rest. Its a wheel up Guac cart type place, warm churros at the end of every meal. Dress up nice type place. If you want to class it up to impress go there.

Reaction Score
3rd vote for Besito in West Hartford. For me all Mexican places are the same, but Besito's a cut above the rest. Its a wheel up Guac cart type place, warm churros at the end of every meal. Dress up nice type place. If you want to class it up to impress go there.
I think this is the issue with northeastern mexican food. Everyone has just been conditioned to accept Americanized mexican food that is just the same 3-4 types of meat in a tortilla with beans, rice, and smothered in melted cheese. Sometimes it's even fried and then smothered in melted cheese. I live down in the Bronx now with a slightly strange mix of races around me. There is one very good mexican restaurant where half of the menu is totally Americanized food for the white people and half is much more authentic Mexican food for the immigrants. I assure you, not all Mexican food is the same, you just have to seek out the authentic places.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I don't think it would be that hard to reproduce that.

I spent a week in San Diego and was taken to what they considered their best Mexican restaurants. It was good quality, but the same as I've had as good places in the northeast. I've vacationed in Mexico as well. I don't understand the difference you guys are insisting on. I can indeed see a difference between authentic Mexican in the southwest and crappy Mexican places in the northeast, but those faux Mexican places also exist in San Diego. Like this one: http://verdeselranchero.com/

I think you are missing the point of where this is going.

It's not about the food. It's about appearing to have special, inside knowledge that no-one else has.

That being said, there is a lot of Mexican food in San Diego. Some good. A few great. Most of them are decent but some are pretty bad.

I doubt there are many on this board who have eaten as much Mexican food at as many different places as me.

And its too bad you ate there in La Jolla. There a dozen or so good restaurants (Mexican or otherwise) within walking distance of that place.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think you are missing the point of where this is going.

It's not about the food. It's about appearing to have special, inside knowledge that no-one else has.

That being said, there is a lot of Mexican food in San Diego. Some good. A few great. Most of them are decent but some are pretty bad.

I doubt there are many on this board who have eaten as much Mexican food at as many different places as me.

I completely disagree with this. Places with higher Mexican populations are going to, overall, have more quality authentic Mexican food and as such, non-Mexicans will have higher exposure that type of food. If you live in Flushing, you're also probably going to have higher standards for Chinese food than someone who lives in Vermont. It's not a question of being pompous.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I can't recommend a restaurant. But I would recommend you take your girlfriend to a Mexican restaurant after the game

Reaction Score
Vote for Sarapes Enfield; Cinco de Mayo Williamantic

Middletown places and Coyote Flaco in Mansfield not as good

But nothing like you get in Oklahoma or Texas

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I completely disagree with this. Places with higher Mexican populations are going to, overall, have more quality authentic Mexican food and as such, non-Mexicans will have higher exposure that type of food. If you live in Flushing, you're also probably going to have higher standards for Chinese food than someone who lives in Vermont. It's not a question of being pompous.
A lot of Mexican workers here in South Carolina. They love Chinese Buffets. I dislike all of those Chinese restaurants. If I see these Mexicans in an authentic Mexican restaurant, what am I supposed to think?:cool:

On a serious note, it certainly doesn't have to be pompous. Kev could have developed a discerning palate for Mexican food the same way people have for wines, beers, hard liquor, pizza, music or whatever. He fell in love with New Mexican Mexican and hasn't found a restaurant in CT to match his experiences there. However he makes the statement "so naturally nothing compares to there" and the rest is history. It would be refreshing for all of us to say imo. But alas, imo, I think I'm unique about using imo frequently. IMO someone will debate me on this.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Yeah, they will have more high quality restaurants but also way, way more crappy ones too.

And BTW, what is "authentic" Mexican Food???

Is Pho authentic Vietnamese food?

Reaction Score
Yeah, they will have more high quality restaurants but also way, way more crappy ones too.

And BTW, what is "authentic" Mexican Food???

Is Pho authentic Vietnamese food?
Now you're just being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. Walk into most Mexican restaurants in the US and it's going to be tex-mex at best. Everything is fried and smothered in sour cream, cheese, and guac. That's not authentic, that's the Americanized version of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom