OT: Good Mexican Food in CT | The Boneyard

OT: Good Mexican Food in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Taking my girlfriend out Friday before the game for our 1 year anniversary and she said she's feeling Mexican food. If anyone has suggestions on where to go that would be great. Preferably not exceedingly far from Storrs, but any advice would be great.

Reaction Score
Pancho Loco in Vernon is my favorite Mexican place ever, and you can get there from UConn in about 20 minutes.

Reaction Score
I have yet to find a great Mexican food restauraunt in Connecticut. I went to college in New Mexico, so naturally there is nothing that compares out here. If you want something close to Storrs then the choice is pretty easy, Coyote Flaco in Mansfield. To me, it's very good for Connecticut.

Tacos la rosa in Willimantic is good for takeout.

Whatever you do, do not take her to Pancho Loco or Chuck's Margarita Grill.

AWFUL.

Reaction Score
I have yet to find a great Mexican food restauraunt in Connecticut. I went to college in New Mexico, so naturally there is nothing that compares out here. If you want something close to Storrs then the choice is pretty easy, Coyote Flaco in Mansfield. To me, it's very good for Connecticut.

Whatever you do, do not take her to Chucks/Margaritas.
From Houston, same thing. Like BBQ, it's possible to find but you have to search hard and be prepared that many CT natives will give you awful suggestions because they don't know any better.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Whatever you do, do not take her to Pancho Loco or Chuck's Margarita Grill.

AWFUL.
Kev...have been to c.o.jones in New Haven?

Reaction Score
Dove, it's on my list to try out. I have heard good things from some friends of mine. I am in the process of moving back towards central Connecticut so I will be making the trek to try it out. I have had Geronimo's which is okay, but nothing special for the New Mexican food.

Los Sarapes on Broad Street in Hartford is decent too, just an awful location.

Reaction Score
Those of you who live near Storrs and are dying for Mexican can drive on Rt 6 to the outskirts of Providence. 45 miles and one hour drive to Restaurant Garibaldi.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have yet to find a great Mexican food restauraunt in Connecticut.

I agree with this. Mezcal in New Haven is decent and authentic, but not great; C.O. Jones is okay and not authentic; Geronimo has good tequila but I wasn't impressed by any of the food. Bodega in Fairfield is the best I have had in the state, but nothing close to, say, Mad Taco in Waitsfield, VT or Hugo's in Houston. IMO great Mexican cuisine is the most difficult ethnic cuisine to find in CT if you are looking for great quality.

Reaction Score
Although this is nowhere near Storrs, if anyone is in Ffld County and wants good authentic mexican food, try El Charrito. They have a taco truck close to downtown Stamford and a storefront in Riverside. The lengua tacos are great (just don't ask what it is if you don't know).

Reaction Score
Although this is nowhere near Storrs, if anyone is in Ffld County and wants good authentic mexican food, try El Charrito. They have a taco truck close to downtown Stamford and a storefront in Riverside. The lengua tacos are great (just don't ask what it is if you don't know).

This is my sister and brother-in-law's go to.

I liked it but didn't love it. Definitely one of the better options in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
This is my sister and brother-in-law's go to.

I liked it but didn't love it. Definitely one of the better options in Connecticut.
The last time I went was slightly disappointing. I'm hoping it was just an off day.

Reaction Score
Good Mexican in Connecticut is kind of like good pizza in Alabama, it doesn't really exist.

But how come it exists in Rhode Island and upstate NY and New Hampshire, but it can't exist in Connecticut?

The people that run the 4 restaurants I know of in these 3 states are Mexican immigrants, and they cater to seasonal workers. Unfortunately, the one where I live shuts down for winter after the apple picking season. Reopens in spring. But Garibaldi outside Providence is absolutely authentic and is open all year round. Can't see why Conn. couldn't have something like this.

Reaction Score
If someone can find me a plate of food that tastes and looks as good as this in CT then I will be buying you a couple 30 racks of Rolling Rocks. Anyone want to accept this challenge?

image.jpg

Reaction Score
If I showed you guys a picture of the place where this food came out of you would think I'm crazy. Well, those of you who haven't been to the Southwest.

Reaction Score
If someone can find me a plate of food that tastes and looks as good as this in CT then I will be buying you a couple 30 racks of Rolling Rocks. Anyone want to accept this challenge?

View attachment 7475

I don't think it would be that hard to reproduce that.

I spent a week in San Diego and was taken to what they considered their best Mexican restaurants. It was good quality, but the same as I've had as good places in the northeast. I've vacationed in Mexico as well. I don't understand the difference you guys are insisting on. I can indeed see a difference between authentic Mexican in the southwest and crappy Mexican places in the northeast, but those faux Mexican places also exist in San Diego. Like this one: http://verdeselranchero.com/

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If anyone is near Southington, go to Senor Salsa's. Pretty good burritos, they pack em thick with stuff unlike Moe's or Chipotle. And its cheaper.

Reaction Score
Dove, it's on my list to try out. I have heard good things from some friends of mine. I am in the process of moving back towards central Connecticut so I will be making the trek to try it out. I have had Geronimo's which is okay, but nothing special for the New Mexican food.

Los Sarapes on Broad Street in Hartford is decent too, just an awful location.

Second the vote here and it's El Sarape in case you google it. It's near the capitol and I only go on weekend afternoons. Very, very good.

Reaction Score
Why? I've had Mexican in the northeast that's been just as good.
I don't know what your question is? Why does northeast Mexican food stink compared to other parts of the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom