OT: Good Mexican Food in CT | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Good Mexican Food in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I live in Chicago where there is basically a good taqueria every other block and some of them are outstanding. We have the gringo Rick Bayless out here who is hailed as "the" Mexican chef in the United States, his places are all good but I've definitely had better meals at many of the mom and pop places. I love any kind of Mexican food but still not much makes me happier than sitting down to some great tacos. Back east when getting a taco it always meant carne asada or chicken........while some carne asada fresh of the grill can still be very good I tell everyone who is not familiar with all of the other meats to try them. Give me some great campechanos, lomo, lengua, al pastor, cabeza and I am in heaven. All it takes is good meat prepared right, some fresh corn tortillas on the grill, with onions, cilantro and green sauce and you are all set. Another favorite is huitlacoche "corn smut" corn fungus can be a little off-putting to some but I find it delicious.

Reaction Score
second agave hartford, or even the food truck. not really 'authentic', but on par with besito. I've heard good things about los adobes in west hartford, acorss from plan b. i think theres another mexican place in that area too

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I remember eating at Oaxaca Kitchen in New Haven and thinking it was decent, but I had consumed enough to drink before the food arrived that I was barely functioning.
My wife and I are Coyote Blue (Middletown) sycophants. Our annual December dinner sees me downing 3 Herraduro Reposado margaritas and we share a Coyote Coffe at the end. The nose id tingling and the drive home is barely remembered the next day.

Ariba!!!

Reaction Score
I think what sd is referring to is that if you go to Mexico, the food people eat is pretty basic. But that's touristy Mexico. In places like Merida and Oaxaca and Mexico City, there's Mexican that is absolutely like nothing you get anywhere in the USA. The stuff we call authentic here is above the level you will typically get served if you go to a non-touristed village or town and sit alongside with Mexicans. In such a setting, tamales are common, but most often you'll just have a skirt steak or a fish, along with some rice and plantains. Then you go into the more sophisticated towns and the cuisine is unlike anything you have in the USA. So, what we call "authentic" Mexican here is more like Mexican-American food.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
By the way...RipCity wanted to know of CT Mexican joints. Focus, people!

Reaction Score
Good Mexican joints with Marg's is a better thread not sure why anyone would care about the food?:confused:

Reaction Score
Good Mexican joints with Marg's is a better thread not sure why anyone would care about the food?:confused:
Yes a sound strategy with Mexican food in NEast is to be at least 2-3 margaritas in before any food arrives.
At times, Viva Zapata's in Westport is good.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Only if you pronounce correctly.

Well, that's the point. Pho isn't a traditional "Vietnamese Dish". It's a French-Viet dish that's less than 100 years old.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Now you're just being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. Walk into most Mexican restaurants in the US and it's going to be tex-mex at best. Everything is fried and smothered in sour cream, cheese, and guac. That's not authentic, that's the Americanized version of it.

I don't think I have ever walked in a place like that in my corner of the USA.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Just got back from Senor Salsa's in Fairfield. Had a grande steak burrito and it was amazing. There was also a fellow with a UConn jacket in there. Good times.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think you are missing the point of where this is going.

It's not about the food. It's about appearing to have special, inside knowledge that no-one else has.

That being said, there is a lot of Mexican food in San Diego. Some good. A few great. Most of them are decent but some are pretty bad.

I doubt there are many on this board who have eaten as much Mexican food at as many different places as me.

And its too bad you ate there in La Jolla. There a dozen or so good restaurants (Mexican or otherwise) within walking distance of that place.
The point is a place that's considered crappy in one part of the country is most likely better than a place that's considered good in Connecticut. Same goes for pizza, some of the crappy pies in CT> would be considered very good in certain parts of the country. I don't know where you are going with the pompous stuff, someone gives their opinion on food and you call them a pompous a--, that seems a bit ridiculous.

Reaction Score
I traveled to Mexico city once. Found a nice restaurant in the Zona Rosa so we went in. Spoke no Spanish and the waiters spoke no English, so I just pointed to something on the menu what the heck. After a while they brought out a small pizza size plate holding a huge round beef looking thing pounded flat to the thickness of cardboard. That's it.

What in God's name did I order? Anyone?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Obsession with "authenticity" makes me laugh. Is it good or not? Chicken Tikka Masala come from England. Me, I love the BBQ Pork tacos at Agave. Is that Mex or Tex-Mex? Who gives a hoot?

Reaction Score
No mention yet of the Puerta Vallata chain. I can't speak for all of them , but the one on Queen St. in Southington has gotten a lot of my money over the years. I love their pollo assada burritos, among other entrees.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Rosa Mexicano is very good in terms of nicer Mexican places in NYC; not as good as Hugo's in Houston imo, but similar. Hell's Kitchen has a lot of authentic Mexican places; I've been to Tulcingo Del Valle, which is a combination Mexican grocery and restaurant. I thought it was good and authentic, particularly the mole, which is a favorite of mine.
Thanks for the tip about Hell's Kitchen. Live not far from Rosa Mexicana, but was not impressed on the times I visited.. Soon, I will be going back home as the frau has an offer from UCSF. Looking forward to returning the other coast, especially looking forward to decent carnitas. Loved hanging out in Emmas in SJ before Sharks games.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I went to a restaurant in the city called 'El Maricon'. I hated the place. I was at the bar and the other customers kept trying to push in my stool.....and I was standing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thanks for the tip about Hell's Kitchen. Live not far from Rosa Mexicana, but was not impressed on the times I visited.. Soon, I will be going back home as the frau has an offer from UCSF. Looking forward to returning the other coast, especially looking forward to decent carnitas. Loved hanging out in Emmas in SJ before Sharks games.

Yeah, our waitress at Hugo's mentioned Rosa Mexicano when we were bemoaning the lack of high quality Mexican cuisine in the Northeast generally, so that made me seek it out. I did not think it was close to the level of Hugo's in any respect, but they are trying for that higher-end; whereas the Hell's Kitchen places are more "ordinary," authentic (sorry Waqouit), everyday kinds of places.

Reaction Score
Sarapes in enfield and Manchester are solid and fairly close to authentic

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I went to a restaurant in the city called 'El Maricon'. I hated the place. I was at the bar and the other customers kept trying to push in my stool.....and I was standing.
So, you met mau?

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Has anybody tried Monte Alban
On Farmington Ave in Hartford? Always hear great comments about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom