Good for the Catholic schools | The Boneyard

Good for the Catholic schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They formed and joined the BE because it was a basketball conference. Then they lost any control when the football schools took charge and started driving the conference in a direction that didn't include them. They watched as the BE was ripped apart by football schools leaving and the conference adding geograhiclly undesirable football schools that brought nothing to the BE rivalries. They pretty much have been crapped on for a few years now.
They are doing what they see is best for them and nobody should blame them. They are thrilled that they don't have to have 100 scholarship football players running around their campus. I wish them much success.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Since they have majority vote right now I believe that they can take the Big East name and MSG with them..

Reaction Score
They formed and joined the BE because it was a basketball conference. Then they lost any control when the football schools took charge and started driving the conference in a direction that didn't include them. They watched as the BE was ripped apart by football schools leaving and the conference adding geograhiclly undesirable football schools that brought nothing to the BE rivalries. They pretty much have been crapped on for a few years now.
They are doing what they see is best for them and nobody should blame them. They are thrilled that they don't have to have 100 scholarship football players running around their campus. I wish them much success.

They could have invited BU and not BC. They could have invited St. Bonaventure and not Syracuse. They could have invited Xavier and not Pittsburgh. They chose to partner with football schools from the very beginning.

Reaction Score
They could have invited BU and not BC. They could have invited St. Bonaventure and not Syracuse. They could have invited Xavier and not Pittsburgh. They chose to partner with football schools from the very beginning.
I see your point but it is not accurate. The BE was created in large part by Gavitt (Providence) as a basketball league. I suppose there are lots of other things they could have done. Pittsburgh was not an orignal member along with Cinn, Miamin, Va Tech,Louisville, Nova, and others. He probably felt Cuse was a better basketball prospect than St Bonaventure and if he did, he was right. By design it was a league driven by basketball. Football was never a factor at its inception. I believe that there were only 2 div 1 football school in the original conference: BC and Cuse. The other football schools were added later to accomodate the football schools.
The schools that were added in recent years were added because of football but football was never the driving force in the original BE.Things have changed just a litlle bit.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
RPI
Creighton 29
Butler 7
St Louis 57
Dayton 68
Xavier 41

Tulane 214
Houston 197
USF 163

Reaction Score
I see your point but it is not accurate. The BE was created in large part by Gavitt (Providence) as a basketball league. I suppose there are lots of other things they could have done. Pittsburgh was not an orignal member along with Cinn, Miamin, Va Tech,Louisville, Nova, and others. He probably felt Cuse was a better basketball prospect than St Bonaventure and if he did, he was right. By design it was a league driven by basketball. Football was never a factor at its inception. I believe that there were only 2 div 1 football school in the original conference: BC and Cuse. The other football schools were added later to accomodate the football schools.
The schools that were added in recent years were added because of football but football was never the driving force in the original BE.Things have changed just a litlle bit.

almost immediately, football became a factor. The league had a contentious vote on Penn State before the decade was even up!

Reaction Score
You are both right to some extent. the NCAA changed its rules in the late 1980s to eliminate "single purpose" conferences. Also some changes in tv and bowls made it difficult to maintain independence. As a result, several big East football schools actively spoke of breaking away and forming an all-sports league with football. In order to stop that possibility, football was added to the Big East in 1991. So while its accurate to say the Big East originated as a basketball conference, when the rules changed, it was necessary for the Big East to change if it wanted to continue to operate.

Reaction Score
Can't blame them for leaving. Why sit there and not be able to plan out the future of your own athletic department because you're so have no idea what the other teams in your conference are doing. The Big East was definitely formed as a basketball conference, but it was formed before the NCAA v. Okla. Board of Regents decision and the dramatic changing of the NCAA Football landscape on TV

Reaction Score
Didn't all the BE commissioners come from Providence aren't they a basketball only.
Didn't they gobble up the money earned by football.
With little investmentof there own.
Only when it looks like the money train has ended they become holier than thou.
Spare me their money grubbing hypocrites
Not only that their cowardly money grubbing hypogrite
To not call them anything different would be a lie.

Reaction Score
Good for the Catholic schools.

Shame on the football schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members