Good college offenses | The Boneyard

Good college offenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Like lots of other people, I wish the offense were better and less stagnant. Which college teams seem to always run a pretty potent and active offense? I understand it has to depend on having quality players, but if we were to pattern the offense to look more like Team X, who is Team X. Or, what coaches seem to be creative most of the time with offensive patterns?

Reaction Score
Like lots of other people, I wish the offense were better and less stagnant. Which college teams seem to always run a pretty potent and active offense? I understand it has to depend on having quality players, but if we were to pattern the offense to look more like Team X, who is Team X. Or, what coaches seem to be creative most of the time with offensive patterns?

Since Glenn Miller has coached at Brown, I'm pretty sure he nows the Princeton offense pretty well. In fact, we'll see at this level with Georgetown in a few weeks.

The real question is can college players adapt the pro offense that Ollie wants to run: picks, pick and rolls, kickbacks, 3 pointers, everyone can shoot, most can dribble and drive, but can anyone grab rebounds?

Reaction Score
I don't know but that Kansas / Oklahoma game had a ton.

Reaction Score
Since Glenn Miller has coached at Brown, I'm pretty sure he nows the Princeton offense pretty well. In fact, we'll see at this level with Georgetown in a few weeks.

The real question is can college players adapt the pro offense that Ollie wants to run: picks, pick and rolls, kickbacks, 3 pointers, everyone can shoot, most can dribble and drive, but can anyone grab rebounds?
We don't have an offense with quick back door cuts and passes that produce easy baskets. Lord knows I see it demonstrated against us every game. part of the problem is that only one of our bigs has the skill of being able to catch and make inside, Shonn Miller. Having more of this rather than every play being a penetration off the dribble into the trees would be helpful I think.

Reaction Score
I love the way Notre Dame runs offense. When they interchange the spread offense with the mover blocker offense under Mike Brey it can be a thing of beauty.

Reaction Score
Everyone thinks it's boring, but UVA runs a really nice offense. ND is another good one as bluedog mentioned.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I love the way Notre Dame runs offense. When they interchange the spread offense with the mover blocker offense under Mike Brey it can be a thing of beauty.

yeah, ND runs a good college offense with good/average college players
you need multiple guys who can hit 3s from the wings and those who would sacrifice freelancing for playing in a system.
not that it is wrong or ineffective but not a lot of guys cup of tea
I just don't like ND in any sport (unless they are playing Puke, Kensucky or Louisville)

Reaction Score
gtcam said:
yeah, ND runs a good college offense with good/average college players you need multiple guys who can hit 3s from the wings and those who would sacrifice freelancing for playing in a system. not that it is wrong or ineffective but not a lot of guys cup of tea I just don't like ND in any sport (unless they are playing Puke, Kensucky or Louisville)

And the reason that Notre Dame never wins anything is because at the end of the day stars beat systems. Calhoun knew this. K knows it. The offense Duke runs is almost laughably simple. He just puts players in positions where they can make plays.

The trouble comes when your players are maybe not that good.

Reaction Score
And the reason that Notre Dame never wins anything is because at the end of the day stars beat systems. Calhoun knew this. K knows it. The offense Duke runs is almost laughably simple. He just puts players in positions where they can make plays.

The trouble comes when your players are maybe not that good.
The funny thing is while, yes, the offense he runs may be "simple." it's laughable to me that "just" putting players in positions where they can make plays is overlooked. A good coach coaches to his players talents and skillsets! So no, it isn't that our players just aren't good enough. Their skillsets just don't fit in this current system Ollie runs, so you simply change the system and adjust it so you put players in positions where they can make plays as opposed to putting them in positions where they are uncomfortable or unable to perform.

EDIT: While I seriously think Ollie needs help in game management and offense from assistants moving forward (yes, I'd like to see some change in one or more of Miller, Hobbs and co. moving forward) I am still trying my best to refrain from judging Ollie and his offensive coaching abilities until next year. Next year will be the first team that is all his. All guys that he looked at and said I want him, he fits our system. So, time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom